PDA

View Full Version : I'm a European knitter

vlinderkus
05-07-2007, 03:46 AM
hi everyone,

I am a European knitter holding the yarn in my right hand while knitting and 'throwing it over' to make a stitch.
I am now looking for a good book on knitting and thought about buying the 'Vogue knitting: the ultimate knitting book'. The problem is that I don't know if the techniques described will also be useful to me, or do I have to do everything in reverse??
Thank you very much for your input!!

vlinderkus

AnnaT
05-07-2007, 06:10 AM
hi everyone,

I am a European knitter holding the yarn in my right hand while knitting and 'throwing it over' to make a stitch.
I am now looking for a good book on knitting and thought about buying the 'Vogue knitting: the ultimate knitting book'. The problem is that I don't know if the techniques described will also be useful to me, or do I have to do everything in reverse??
Thank you very much for your input!!

vlinderkus

Hi,

I don't believe it matters, because the needles are going to be doing the same actions whether you hold the yarn in your left hand or right hand.

zkimom
05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
I think most people knit the way you do -- it's refered to as "English" knitting and seems to be the norm, especially in the States.

I knit Continental, holding the yarn in my left hand, and I always assume patterns are written with the English knitter in mind.

You should have no problem with the Vogue book at all.

Best,
Susan

VickyS456
05-07-2007, 06:40 AM
I agree with the above, it shouldn't matter.

BTW, where in Europe are you? We have quite a few European members here. I'm in The Netherlands.

vlinderkus
05-07-2007, 07:45 AM
hi again,

Firstly, thank you all very much for your replies. I am dying to get this vogue book so I'm happy that I can actually buy it :-)

I am from Brussels in Belgium.

Have a lovely day

nadja la claire
05-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Welcome :waving: :hug:

The patterns are written for both English and Contis. It doesn't matter because you can do all the stitches with either method. BTW, I'm an English knitter and I have no problem with the various patterns.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Sanibelle
05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Welcome Vinderkus!

I hope you will love KH as much as I do - all the people here are so friendly!

I have that book - it is my absolute favorite. I knit combined and I still have no problem using the book.

Enjoy!

Lynn