PDA

View Full Version : VOGUE MAGAZINE: JACKED MY PRICE UP?

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I received a "let's make a deal" notification from Vogue knitters magazine...telling me that I have the fabulous one-time opportunity to take advantage of an amazing deal: a 2-yr sub renewal for $34.

FYI: I renewed for one year (4 issues) in Jan 2007 for $15!
Do the math.... $15 x 2 ... is equal to $30 for a 2 yr sub!

Dear fellow knitters, am I crazy...or has my price been jacked up? :shrug:

Does anyone know: has VOGUE raised prices so significantly that a HIGHER RENEWAL PRICE within 4 months is actually a considered a SAVINGS? :??

Or, do they think subscribers are idiots that don't keep track of what they paid and when? :wall:

Well, your comments will aid me with the decision to: a) pay up...or, b) NOT RENEW AT ALL and DROP VOGUE, or, c) buy the issues that interest me at the bookstore.

Stiney
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
They may be raising prices, and/or your January deal may have been a limited, extra special sale.

The post office is raising stamp prices, which I'm sure you knew, but is significantly raising prices for "mailings" which is hitting a lot of publishers hard. Niche publications, like knitting magazines, aren't generally losing readers the way other magazines are, but there is a lot of doom and gloom in the publishing world that I'm sick of reading about. :roll: :grrr: (Sorry, I work in book publishing and am taking graduate courses through Pace's Publishing program, and I feel as though I'm drowning in industry-speak and net buzzwords.)

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes, you may be right. I understand about "costs" only too well.

Well, I may just sit and wait out my sub. See what happens later in the year. I hate it when magazines start with the renewal prompts when you still have 3/4 of your current sub remaining!

Thanks for your input!

Stiney
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I was ignoring McAffee emails for a similar reason...Oops it expired on me. :rofl: I really need to renew that tonight.

hellokitty165
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
i encountered this kind of issue too many times aldy...magazines couple of time.. sometimes they thought we are so busie and not paid attention to what we used to pay....there is once i cancelled subscription of magazine and 2 years later they just charge my bank account for the subscription fee... if i never balance my bank account i would have never found out... it terrible ...

aineepooh1
05-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I know a lot of mags do that these days... buy a subscritpion and get one for 1/2 price for a friend or yada yada yada..
but can you call/emial them and ask what the subscription rate should be NEXT year ( are they PLANNING on a rate hike) b/c if not I would just keep my 1 year subscription and renew a year later at 15$ which btw is a good discount b/c I have paid 7$ for 1 mag!! :pout:

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
I may just ride out this sub...and see what happens. I may just let it expire. I may not.

I do love getting those top 3 subs: Interweave Knits, Knitters, and Vogue.

It is spendy at renewal time. :doh:

I may drop 'em all. I have so many patterns, books, leaflets in my stash..not to mention, all the FREE PATTERNS available online!

That's it...I may drop 'em all for a couple years. When you stop to think about it: how many items do I actually KNIT from an issue? One? None?
Even if I knit one per issue...and I don't...it is an expensive single "pattern".

I do love :heart: the knitting related "ads" though! I have found many useful knitting related things from the advertisements in the back of the mags. :shrug: What to do, what to do. :shrug:

This year, I have been keeping better track! I actually wrote down who I paid, what I paid, the check number and mailing date! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Sometimes renewal notices overlap...you send the renewal kinda late-ish...you forget you did it...then another desperation renewal notice comes...and you are just about ready to send the money AGAIN...and you think: Hmmmmmmmmmm. Haven't I been down this road before????

NO MORE! One check, one time. :teehee:

Did someone say their subscription charged their bank account again? Oh no! My subs get paper checks.

Stiney
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
If you don't feel you are getting value out of your subscription, then you can always take a trip to the local book/knitting store and check them out in person.

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
You are right there! That is what I used to do...and we go to the bookstore at least twice a month. Border Books & Barnes and Noble.

marykz
05-08-2007, 06:29 PM
some magazines sell out their lists, and you end up getting multiple "renewal" notices long before your subscription is actually up. it makes me CRAZY!

the increase in mailing costs is only part of the problem, I guess... but it is still cheaper than buying them all off the rack.....

cathoo
05-08-2007, 10:37 PM
It really sounds like just a small postal increase...

4 dollars difference over 2 years over 4 mags/year = 50 cents increase an issue.

50 cents is probably less than the extra gas it would take to drive to the bookstore to buy it...

I say keep your current subscription, but write to the editor about your confusion "as a loyal subscriber". Ask why the price is increasing, and about your concern for your current price. The front page of the magazine should have an address for the editor, as well as a contact for the subscription people.

ArtLady1981
05-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Hi Cathoo! Yup, you are right. I will send VOGUE a few words...nice words...but words that express my ??? at receiving a 2 yr renewal notice so soon after renewing for one year...and my question about the 'great price' being $4 more than the price I just paid. How is that great?

Well, I will keep my head, and write a polite letter.

About the gas...WOW...our gas station hit $3.45 per gallon tonight.
San Francisco Shell Stations hit $4.55!

Well, we go to the bookstore regularly. Starbucks and books make a nice evening!

Thanks for taking time to express your opinion! :hug: