PDA

View Full Version : Buying yarn at Wal-Mart

kellycarr05
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
I had to post this...I was at Wal-Mart so I decided to check out the yarn section. While I was walking through I noticed a ball of yarn hanging from a hook in front of a swatch. The was NOT a swatch of any kind. the label was gone and the ball of yarn was just hanging there.It was nice and soft and they didnt have any yarn that matched it so I asked the lady in the craft department the price ( hoping to get a discount ) and this is what she said....."You cant buy that someone made it and it is a sample".
What kind of sample has no pattern to it and is rolled up in a ball??
Am I going crazy or does she NOT know what she is talking about?????
She would not sell it. Oh well :??

aineepooh1
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Did someone bring it from HOME and leave it there by mistake???
but if it's a swatch then they SHOULD be able to tell you where it came from..
:shrug:

nadja la claire
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
THAT'S WAL*MART FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want filet mignon, you don't go to MacDonald's. :!!!: Sorry don't mean to yell. I know WAL*MART may be cheaper than YLS but cheaper is not always better. That's all I have to say on the matter.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

amyquilt
05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Next time you are there, if the *sample* is still hanging there....see if a different clerk is working and try to get info to buy it. :happydance:

Amy

PaperGirl
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I refuse to buy yarn at Wal Mart. Ever since they tore up the one that I was used to shopping in...and rearranged the ENTIRE store...and the craft section went to half an aisle by electronics...

:wall: :wall:

I may be hard up for LYS around here...but Ill go to HL or Michaels first.

RiverDaughter
05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
WalMart sells more than just RedHeart? Weird.

I don't need to shop there now that I have my Options, but they were the only ones carrying decent sized, decent quality, decent priced needles for a while. :shrug:

losnana
05-08-2007, 05:38 PM
[quote="PaperGirl"]I refuse to buy yarn at Wal Mart. Ever since they tore up the one that I was used to shopping in...and rearranged the ENTIRE store...and the craft section went to half an aisle by electronics...

That is exactly what is happening at mine right now. What is with the 1/2 aisle for yarn? Mine has also completely done away with the fabric section- not that I sew any longer, but some people do. All about the $$$ I guess. You'd think

KnitClickChick
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Who would make a "sample" and put it in Wal-Mart??? Sounds like maybe she didn't have a clue. My Wal-Mart does carry Bernat and some other decent yarns, but the yarn section is always in disarray, it is awful. I don't go there often because of that, and they always have pallets in the aisles and you can't get down half of them. I used to love Wal-Mart but it seems ever since they decided to supersize themselves, they have really gone down hill. :verysad:

jeanius80
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
:teehee: i feel like i have to defend my wal-mart ... :rofl: mine actually has a pretty decent craft area, and actually had a sign up saying they weren't closing withthe new remodel! yay! they carry caron simply soft (and others) lionbrand, some patons, redheart, and bernat. they do occasionaly have knitted/crochet swatches, but no FO's. If they bothered to have a sample, then they probably carry what ever yarn was used to knit it up. i would ask her what yarn was used. they may just be out of stock :shrug:

marykz
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM

before they axed the yarn dept, ours carried peaches n creme and sugar and creme in the mason dixon colors.... no longer.... I hate the store near me- always dirty and the products are a mess all over the store. I've been in a few that are actually nice, but not around here...

Quiltlady
05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a lot of walmarts that I can shop at. They do not sell designer yarns but they do sell a few very nice quality yarns that I do use at times.

Maybe you can check out a different walmart for that yarn and see if you can find out what kind of yarn that "thing" was.

madametj
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
:teehee: i feel like i have to defend my wal-mart ... :rofl: mine actually has a pretty decent craft area, and actually had a sign up saying they weren't closing withthe new remodel! yay! they carry caron simply soft (and others) lionbrand, some patons, redheart, and bernat. they do occasionaly have knitted/crochet swatches, but no FO's. If they bothered to have a sample, then they probably carry what ever yarn was used to knit it up. i would ask her what yarn was used. they may just be out of stock :shrug:

I feel the same as you-- :teehee: i went there to buy some Caron SS a few months ago, and the craft section was actually pretty impressive, they had lots of lionbrand, some bernat, and other yarns i don't remember, but it was nice for a Walmart.

Jan in CA
05-08-2007, 07:50 PM
This kind of thing is the very reason I don't shop at Walmart unless held at gunpoint...or I absolutely have no other choice. :wall:

Ginger0104
05-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking it's just that particular employee. Unfortunately Walmart doesn't pay squat, so you're going to get people who are horrible to customers.

Not all Walmarts are the same. I love mine. The craft section is nice and big, and the manager (?) of that area is awesome - she will let you look through the book and special order yarn that they don't currently have in stock :cheering:

kellycarr05
05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
It has some good yarn. This paticular empleyee just did'nt know what she was talking about and didnt speak english very well.

suzeeq
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM

I don't need to shop there now that I have my Options, but they were the only ones carrying decent sized, decent quality, decent priced needles for a while. :shrug:

Oh yeah, they sell several Bernat yarns and Caron's big perfect match skeins and SS. A few Lion yarns too. And peaches n cream too.

sue

DQ
05-09-2007, 06:47 AM
I wish they'd send some yarn over and make a craft section in my Asda (Walmart own them) :pout:

of troy
05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
quote: walmart has some good yarn

define good!

I don't shop walmart (NYC is unique in that it doesn't have any, and i live next to a new developement that walmart wanted to rent space in, and there was a HUGE public out cry saying "no Walmart" the developer realize he wasn't going to get a building permit with Walmart as a proposed tenent.

WalMart has a very limited supple of MOSTLY synthetic yarns (yarns all made from petrochemicals) and a small amount of cotton.

I am not a yarn snob, and i both buy and knit with synthetics (my grand daughters favorite knit thing is a poncho i made her out of Red Heart)

but the complete lack of wools, alpaca's, blends (with silk, alpaca, cashmere or even wool and synthetics) is appalling.

there are 'value yarns" (elan's, smileysyarn, knitpicks and others on line come to mind) if you can post here, you can learn about them (most will let you 'write up an order" and mail it in, (if like me, you don't like using charge card online)

and remember you get what you pay for. 'cheap' is not just how the yarn is sold. its how they run the department, how they pay their employees, and how they treat the neighborhoods they locate in.

i don't buy cheap. (not that i want to spend more $$) i just find that i can buy a good prices with out buying cheap!

Eloewien
05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I more or less have to shop at walmart. I work really weird hours, and it's about the only place to get groceries when I get off work at midnight. Once in a while, I'll pick up something out of the craft section-- mostly for making my stitch markers. They have beads, split rings in small sizes and eyepins, so why go elsewhere and pay more?

Rennagayle
05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I live in a smallish town of about 25,000. It's Wal-Mart or nothing. :shrug: We do have a small craft store downtown. She has a very small selection of yarns, mostly acrylics, though she has begun carrying Cascade; plus she has Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool (which I buy and dye to use for felting projects). She's really nice and accommodating and welcomes knitters to hang out and knit anytime we want, as well as hosts a weekly knit-together, so I buy as much as I can from her.

Our Wal-Mart carries strictly acrylics, along with Peaches'n'Cream cotton, and those are in very limited colors. :neutral: At least the sales ladies in the craft department are the same elderly ladies who've worked there for many years, and they're really nice.

Stiney
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
It freaks me out that people buy groceries at places like WalMart or Target. :shock: WalMart only very recently entered the NYC-tristate area market (not NYC though, as of troy mentioned.) I'm sure some people do buy groceries there, but most go to grocery stores (Pathmark, Shop Rite, A&P, Stop & Shop, King's, Food World, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods.) Plus, WalMart is "far" from my house. The two closest ones are both a half hour away. On the other hand, there are 4 or 5 grocery stores within 5 minutes of my house...

As far as yarn goes? I stopped off at the WalMart that is nearish to workbecause I needed Bernat Softee and my Joann's didn't carry it. It was dirty, messy, disorganized in general. They didn't have much in the way of yarn or yarn supplies. The employees were slow, and I don't blame them--they're grossly underpaid and treated horribly. (Recently, WalMart set out on a campaign to fire some long-time employees because they were "paid too much.") And while their business practices are legal, in my opinion, they are unethical.

I think what the employee told you about it being a "sample" was really weird. :shrug:

suzeeq
05-09-2007, 01:45 PM
WalMart has a very limited supple of MOSTLY synthetic yarns (yarns all made from petrochemicals) and a small amount of cotton.

This is true of most chain stores anyway. Michaels and Joanns have a little more wool yarns, but for anything else, you have to go to a regular yarn store or shop online.

sue

of troy
05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
the michaels, jo anne's and ACMoore, here in metro area (a very competive area--there are 20 or so LYS in manhattan, and a 'nother 20 spread out in the other boroughs (or about 40 with in 20 miles!)
all carry:
Lion wool
paton merino classic
Paton SWS (70% wool)
Lion Brand "landscapes" )50% wool
Paton Decor (30% wool)
Lion Brand Wool Ease (30/25% wool)

ACMoore has a larger selection, (more color of Paton Classic Merino, and more wool blends (the used to carry many KFI yarns, Katia--wool, mohair, cashmere blends,) and they used to carry (and maybe will again) Paton Kroy sock yarn.

Yes, 50% of the yarn is synthetic, and only 10% is 100 natural fiber, but walmart (ok, its been 3 years since i have been in one) used to carry a very limited selection of wool ease (worsted weight only ) and nothing else with natural fiber.. or 99% synthetic!

box Stores aren't a substitute for LYS, but Paton Classic Merino is a good quality wool in a large range of colors (OK, so they don't carry them all!) and the Box stores sales price was a good by, (right now i have 50% odd(singe purchase) and 40% off coupouns, and this week, while running errands, i will stop in and buy a ball of yarn each time (i make hats and scarves for presents, and a tri color hat and matching scarf are not hurt by mixed dye lots (--but most times, i can find the same dye lot!) and at half price, ($3, not $5.99) paton's is a cheap as gets! (synthetics can cost more at walmart!)

cando
05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
It freaks me out that people buy groceries at places like WalMart or Target. :shock:
It all depends on which Walmart you go to. The one I used to frequent before we moved was excellent. It wasn't my favorite for groceries (a local grocery store was the best) but they had tons of choice in their produce dept and everything always looked fresh. The rest of the store was clean, organized and well-kept.

The Walmart near where we live now sucks. It's a mess, everything in the wrong places, has a small and sad looking produce section. But the local grocery stores are not much better. Albertson, Safeway both come to mind.
There is a Whole Foods 25 miles away and that's where we shop now. It's much more expensive than regular grocery stores/Walmart, but being only 2 of us we can afford it.

As for crafts, the same sad Walmart here has a bigger knitting section that my local Joann's. So there, can't really generalize.

Stiney
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
I realize you can't generalize based on stores...my two Joann's are VERY different.

I think the whole Walmart-grocery shopping thing is a regional/cultural difference. In a lot of places, Walmart's the only choice. Around here, it's never really been a choice.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around a store where you can buy a lawnmower, a tv, books, and groceries. :rofl:

madametj
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
but the complete lack of wools, alpaca's, blends (with silk, alpaca, cashmere or even wool and synthetics) is appalling.

Well, keep in mind that Walmart is neither a craft nor yarn store. I'm just glad they sell yarn there at all. They're not going to open an entire LYS when they have so many other departments to care for, and they're certainly not going to special order "bargain" cashmere and alpaca yarns, thats not Walmarts style.

You could say that Walmart's lack of power tools is appauling, their lack of mattresses is appauling, Christian books, refridgerators...the list could go on forever.

While Walmart does have a lot of merchandise, they don't have everything.

Eloewien
05-10-2007, 12:05 AM
As far as groceries-- I have a tiny food lion and a giant walmart. Food lion doesn't carry everything I need, so I would end up at walmart anyway.... it's just a matter of where you live, I think. If it's what you've got, it's where you go :) Luckily, I also have a wonderful LYS for my yarnage needs!

suzeeq
05-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Actually, WalMart does carry a lot of Christian oriented books. The national grocery stores around here have way more food brand selection than WM though. Except maybe for their frozen foods.

As far as them carrying very little natural fibers in yarn, you haven't been to a Hobby Lobby. Nearly all their yarns are acrylic (though some are very nice) and while they do have some Paton's, no CM or SWS at all. :pout:

sue

Stiney
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
As far as groceries-- I have a tiny food lion and a giant walmart. Food lion doesn't carry everything I need, so I would end up at walmart anyway.... it's just a matter of where you live, I think. If it's what you've got, it's where you go :) Luckily, I also have a wonderful LYS for my yarnage needs!

I completely understand, it still just makes me go :shock: :?? :shrug: because I'm such a Northeasterner. :rofl:

Eloewien
05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I completely understand, it still just makes me go :shock: :?? :shrug: because I'm such a Northeasterner. :rofl:

So is my hubby- he had a heck of a time getting used to it... except that we're in a smallish college town and in the middle of the night, if you've got a case of the munchies-- it's IHOP or Walmart :)

1to1
05-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Well, keep in mind that Walmart is neither a craft nor yarn store. I'm just glad they sell yarn there at all. They're not going to open an entire LYS when they have so many other departments to care for, and they're certainly not going to special order "bargain" cashmere and alpaca yarns, thats not Walmarts style.

You could say that Walmart's lack of power tools is appauling, their lack of mattresses is appauling, Christian books, refridgerators...the list could go on forever.

While Walmart does have a lot of merchandise, they don't have everything.

Nicely summed up by a 16-year-old knitter with two pointy sticks and plenty of attitude . :thumbsup:

Rennagayle
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Nicely summed up by a 16-year-old knitter with two pointy sticks and plenty of attitude .

Yes, very well put! :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I am very guilty of shopping for yarn at wal-mart. however the only yarn I do is Caron Simply Soft and Peaches & Cream cotton. Caron is great for making doll cloths and they have a nice color selection. If I want something else I go to Hancock's or Micheal's or even better I hit up Knit Picks. But if I order from Knit Pick's I usually order $45 or more so I get free shipping.

Rennagayle
05-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Christine, I also like that I can get Caron's Simply Soft at Wal-Mart, and it's cheap. It's great for baby things when you're gifting to someone you just know isn't going to bother with handwashing. Plus, I love the "no dye lot" aspect of it. :thumbsup:

madametj
05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Nicely summed up by a 16-year-old knitter with two pointy sticks and plenty of attitude .

Yes, very well put! :thumbsup:

:teehee: thank you.

MommaG
05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I purchase alot of my yarn at Walmart. I have a very tight budget so I take what I can get. Walmart here in Canada isn't 24 hours either. Atleast not here in Saskatchewan. I think Toronto might. My walmart for the most part only carries Red Heart, Bernat, and Phentex. All of which is Man made stuff. I have never knitted with actual Wool before (yes you read correctly I have never knit with wool)and I would love to try and make a felted bag but alas I have no where to get wool from. I do have a Micheals in my city on the other end and it is difficult for me to get to and for the most part they carry acrylics as well. I think there may be a Yarn store in town and when I get myself a job I will check it out, but untill then I will have to stick with my Walmart stuff.

auburnchick
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM

I feel the same as you-- :teehee: i went there to buy some Caron SS a few months ago, and the craft section was actually pretty impressive, they had lots of lionbrand, some bernat, and other yarns i don't remember, but it was nice for a Walmart.

Same here. I found quite a good selection of yarn when completing my last projects. I normally do not buy my yarn at Walmart...preferring to order the good stuff online. But I was desperate, and they didn't let me down.

madametj
05-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I purchase alot of my yarn at Walmart. I have a very tight budget so I take what I can get. Walmart here in Canada isn't 24 hours either. Atleast not here in Saskatchewan. I think Toronto might. My walmart for the most part only carries Red Heart, Bernat, and Phentex. All of which is Man made stuff. I have never knitted with actual Wool before (yes you read correctly I have never knit with wool)and I would love to try and make a felted bag but alas I have no where to get wool from. I do have a Micheals in my city on the other end and it is difficult for me to get to and for the most part they carry acrylics as well. I think there may be a Yarn store in town and when I get myself a job I will check it out, but untill then I will have to stick with my Walmart stuff.

Check to see if your Walmart carries Lionbrand "Lion Wool." its 100% so you can felt it! :cheering:

MommaG
05-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Check to see if your Walmart carries Lionbrand "Lion Wool." its 100% so you can felt it! :cheering:

Nope they don't I checked yesterday after you all were talking about it. I was hoping that maybe I just missed it or something. :crying:

madametj
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Nope they don't I checked yesterday after you all were talking about it. I was hoping that maybe I just missed it or something. :crying:

Don't you have more than one Walmart?

MommaG
05-10-2007, 08:11 PM
yeah we do but they all carry the same thing. I was at the one that carries the most stuff and nope.

1knittychick
05-10-2007, 10:28 PM
My local WM carries Bernat, Lion Brand (some of) and Red Heart. When I do buy yarn from them its usually fun fur in purple shades (football season scarves). I know the ladies who work in this section and they know nothing about knitting. Thank goodness for Michaels and Hancocks.

bailsmom
05-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Christine, I also like that I can get Caron's Simply Soft at Wal-Mart, and it's cheap. It's great for baby things when you're gifting to someone you just know isn't going to bother with handwashing. Plus, I love the "no dye lot" aspect of it. :thumbsup:

Ohhhh, please be careful of this. I bought some Caron SS in a dark blue at my walmart and they had like 10 to pick from and I needed 8 and as I was pulling them out and into the cart I noticed that there was a color difference and they had the same numbers!!

Just wanted to make everyone aware of this. No Dye Lot does not mean you'll get the same color every time. I almost learned the hard way.

yarnbee
05-11-2007, 12:31 AM
I buy yarn & knitting supplies from my LYS, though occasionally will pick up some inexpensive yarn for doll clothes at Joann's, Michael's or Beverly's.

Haven't been in Walmart in years since I became informed about their business practices. They opened a store in my area, putting the local "mom & pop" businesses out of business, then when the tax breaks expired they moved to another location leaving a big box eyesore. I can't stand Walmart.

zazzu
05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
They opened a store in my area, putting the local "mom & pop" businesses out of business...

This happened in my community, too, before we even moved here. Most people don't complain about it much, though. Many of the Mom&Pop businesses here are so unreliable (not open when they should be) that folks were relieved to get a WM. At least WM is open during the hours promised.

The good M&P businesses survived WM moving in...the bad/mediocre ones didn't.

I buy my Caron SS from WM too. The prices are the best and the only other place for me to buy it would be JoAnns or Michaels an hour away. And their customer service is worse than Wal-Mart's. :roll:

KnittinMitchie
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
When to WM last night to look at yarn for some up coming projects and saw that Red Heart had yarn that matches PERFECTLY with the Military uniforms. I can get yarn to match the desert uniform and the normal green uniform that everyone wears. Even funnier is that I can get tan yarn that matches the T-shirts that they wear. LOL Since my DD has a build a bear I figured I could make her dog an outfit from the yarn so he has his camos. BTW this was just too cool and I got a kick out of it.

suzeeq
05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
You sure that's not the Bernat Camoflage yarn? I don't remember seeing any in the RH, but Bernat has several different colors including Hunter Orange.

sue

Rennagayle
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking I've bought the cammo yarn in both Bernat and Red Heart. I'd have to hunt for them to verify the other yarn was indeed Red Heart, but I do know I have two different brands. I liked the Bernat one better, by the way.

suzeeq
05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Ahhh, I see RH does have camo in the Super saver and a couple other yarns.

sue

Rennagayle
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I love the cheap cammo yarns for making hats for my grandsons. They all live in Texas, and though it does get cold enough for a hat in the winter, it's not so cold that an acrylic one won't keep your head warm. Plus, they wouldn't know wool from acrylic, so why waste my good yarn on them? :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
05-11-2007, 04:04 PM
We are in Texas, 3hrs west of Dallas, and it can get down into the 30's here. Hubby has a couple of hats that are wool. But to be honest if I'm knitting for my DD I like acrylic so I can just chuck it in the washer and not worry about it.

madametj
05-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Ahhh, I see RH does have camo in the Super saver and a couple other yarns.

sue

yeah, but i've always thought their color "amazon" looks more like cammo than their "camoflauge" color :??

KnittinMitchie
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I didn't get a chance to gt a really good look at yarn the other day. 2 yr olds can keep you from doing that. I do know it was cheap and will work for making what I want to make. Since my DD will be playing with it I could care less if it's cheapo yarn. Besides if it gets TOOO dirty I know I can toss it in the washer. HORAH for acrylics.