PDA

View Full Version : Buying a gift for a Spinning Newbie

PaperGirl
05-08-2007, 05:25 PM
OK...on my blog, we are doing a swap for summer...and my swappee has expressed SERIOUS interest in learning to spin...

Id like to set her up with some supplies...not HORRIBLY high dollar...but for her to practice and play with...

Any ideas? Internet resources?

I DO know that I will look into getting her one of Shandahs hand made spindles....I think they are cute!

Julie
05-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Spunky Eclectic has fabulous fiber (www.spunkyhats.com) and she sells a lot of natural fibers by the ounce. As a new spinner I know that I appreciated being able to try different fibers to see what I thought of them. :D

Silk hankies are a great beginner spinning item too...you can usually find them on eBay or etsy pretty cheap.

Dyes are another item she might appreciate -- acid dyes can be used for dyeing either fiber or yarn.

Calamintha
05-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Last year I ordered a Learn to Spin kit from Carolina Homespun. It is a great deal. You get a nice hand spindle and an instruction book plus lots of fiber to spin. They included 3 different types of fiber in my kit including one that was handpainted:

http://carolinahomespun.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CH&Product_Code=LearnSpinKit&Category_Code=Hand-Spinning