PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable row counter

nuknitter
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey, so I was thinking about how to make a row counter that I could keep on my circular needles, that wouldn't induce laddering or get in the way while knitting. I was using my kacha-kacha one for a while, but I got frustrated w/it slipping off my arm chair, forgetting about it, etc. :wall:

So! Dug around in my bead supplies and came up w/3 differently-sized toggle rings, hooked jump rings on the 2 smaller ones, threaded a tiny barrel row counter on a headpin w/beads and a lobster claw clasp, and .... (drumroll):

Tah-DAH!! :happydance: I just hook the counter onto whichever ring size is right for the job - placing it wherever each round begins, and when it's not in use I hook all 3 rings on the clasp and throw it in my knitkit. Fits up to at least a US 13 needle size!! YEA!!!

Braden
05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
VERY nice!

cathoo
05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Awesome idea! I love that it's "interchangeable" :D

psammeadred
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Way to be inventive!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-08-2007, 11:21 PM
cool!!! Quick, get a patent so no one else makes away with your millions!

PaperGirl
05-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Love it! I would SO use one of those!

cookworm
05-08-2007, 11:46 PM
What a GREAT idea!!!! How clever of you!!! :happydance: :cheering:

PaperGirl
05-08-2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.knitpicks.com/Universal+Counter_AD80244.html

:shrug: :doh:

Guess no millions... :pout: :pout:

I like yours better...cause you made it. :hug:

Markette
05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I agree -- the ring on that universal counter is too big for most of my projects, and it just seems to get in the way. I usually get around it by hooking the counter on a locking stitch marker and attaching the stitch marker to the work just below the needles. Your solution is even better.

redwitch
05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Yep if you want to use your row counter on circs and don't trust yourself to click it every time, tie it onto a loop that goes onto the needle.

Sarah

marykz
05-09-2007, 04:03 AM
very clever- I like how the clip works to change the size when needed. Nice job!! I may borrow that idea...

nuknitter
05-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Hah! love y'all's feedback. Sure WISH there were millions involved :verysad:

Howdy there, Papergirl! From a fellow ex-Texan (via NC for now) ;) I actually saw that Universal row counter in a LYS for FIVE DOLLARS (at least Knitpicks' price is fair!), and thought - 1) man, that ring is too big, and 2) I could do better. I also like to make things pretty - I went overboard when I found out I could make my own stitch markers, and beaded up 14 sets. FOURTEEN SETS. Now what am I gonna do with 'em?? :teehee:

Honestly, I swear I almost (ALMOST, but not quite) get a bigger kick outta the gadgets of whatever craft I'm doing, than the actual MAKING of whatever it is (jewelry, knitting, etc.). Especially if I can make them ... some bizarro techie gene in me, I'm guessin'! Anyone else have this um, ... condition??

PaperGirl
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Five dollars? Thats crazy.

I think I have that condition too. I own not ALOT of stuff...but I am drawn like a bug to a zapper if I see a bead store...I have TONS of beads in a box in the desk...I bought...but just never found a good use for....but they were so preeeeeeeety..... :roflhard: They called my name...

Ooohhh.....maybe I should make stitch markers....maybe after I get some projects off the needles...

dink
05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
http://www.knitpicks.com/Universal+Counter_AD80244.html

:shrug: :doh:

Guess no millions... :pout: :pout:

I like yours better...cause you made it. :hug:

I bought that, and well, it keeps sliding off the ends of my straight needles. I was thinking about cutting it, and making it smaller. Nothing is worse than having that on the end of a needle and having it fly off, only to not know where it landed! :-x

nuknitter
05-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Preeeetty beads, heeeere pretty pretty ... ;) Just like a bug to a zapper is right - ZAP!! there goes your wallet. Man, bead and yarn stores could bankrupt me easily if I didn't watch it.

And dink - those thin flat rings Clover has for stitch markers? The exact same thing happened to using those dang things as your universal row counter, and I never did find some of them. :wall: I find that the (slight) weight of the beaded stitch markers, and now the adjustable row counter, helps to keep it on the needles w/o flipping off.