PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in the round question

kellycarr05
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
My project.. a Harry Potter scarf knit in the round will not fit my needles. I have the Denise Interchangable set and am using the smallest cable. The scarf pattern calls for 70 cast on stitches. It doesnt fit all the way around the needles. What am I doing wrong??? :wall:
Size 9 needles.
Please Help!!!

psammeadred
05-08-2007, 10:33 PM
How long is your circular needle from point to point? It sounds like your needle's just too long. Maybe cast on enough stitches to reach all the way around?

Jan in CA
05-08-2007, 10:39 PM
You need to make a 17 in circ. It's not the shortest cable. Those are for connecting to make longer cords. You should be able to get 70 stitches around the 17 in circ, but it will be sorta tight. That is one of my complaints about Denises. :shrug:

Yarnlady
05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I connect the two smallest ones when I make hats and such. Try knitting the first round or two flat and then try to join them. Knitted rows are longer than CO rows. If all else fails, add more sts to the scarf CO.....

kblue
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
That sometimes happens to me when i use my 16 inch Circular needles. But it's usually just my cast on row that is really tight and it won't reach/connect. So what i do is i Magic Loop the first couple of rows and then everything starts to come together like normal. I still don't know why it does this. It didn't use to with my old 16"...but then i bought new 16" needles and then my knitting in the round just wouldn't come together anymore unless i Magic Looped it in the beginning. :?? Hope this helps.

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I was also going to suggest using magic loop

Jan in CA
05-09-2007, 01:03 PM
You need to make a 17 in circ. It's not the shortest cable. Those are for connecting to make longer cords. You should be able to get 70 stitches around the 17 in circ, but it will be sorta tight. That is one of my complaints about Denises. :shrug:

ETA: the CO row is usually very tight around the needles, but then it gets much easier.