PDA

View Full Version : I need some suggestions for a friend with cancer~

aineepooh1
05-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Ok.. I already made her a hat.. I thought about a scarf b/c she always cold.. but here's my dillemma.. long story short the cancer was growing, they treated it began to shrink x2... now it's back and bigger than before and one of her MD sent her home saying there is nothing else we can do :wall: :wall: :wall: The other doctor is trying one more type of chemo thatis even stronger... so she is in the hospital today..
OK~ what do you guys think would be a quick, THOUGHTFUL~ project

I am running out of ideas .. I want something that says. We love you, don't give up and we are thinking ofyou~! :hug:

Chel
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
What about getting a photo album/journal and knitting a cover for it?

The pattern would be easy-just a long rectangle that you would fold over on the ends and seam so it would stay on the book.

Seems like it would be a good way to honor all the good times plus become an heirloom in the even the unthinkable happens.

You could do intarsia on the cover, lace, felting etc... The possibilities are really endless.

Abbily
05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
You could do a quick shawl pattern, that would be something nice and cozy that she could snuggle up in. Kind of like a hug from you when you can't be there.

GinnyG
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I think pretty shawl in a cheery color (maybe a beautiful mmmmmalbrigo) would be a thoughtful gift and you could chose a fast knit pattern.

Anne
05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I too am getting chemo. The best gifts i have received are afghans. Not big ones. Just large enough to cover my shoulders and bring around the front of me to keep me warm. If your a fast knitter a larger one would be useful also.

I love getting phone calls from friends and a cute thinking of you card in snail mail cheers me up. I might talk to a friend one day and the next get a card from her. I really appreicate that. A huge scrapebook i have made of cards and letters from relatives and freinds.

WHen someone is going through cancer anything little means a lot!!!! :cheering: :hug: :happydance:

tarrentella
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
how about a quick teddy bear or cuddly toy, somthing to always give her a big hug. you can knit a teddy bear up flat and seam around the edge which is quite quick, or i cant remember who on here did an adorable bunny made out of little tubes.

i think when you are ill and at your lowest there can be nothing more comforting than a teddy to hold, especially if ti was made and given in love - no matter what age you are.

Anne sorry to here you are ill. I hope you are coping with the chemo :hug: :hug: :hug: hugs for you.

aineepooh1
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: to you Anne~!

Jan in CA
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I was going to say a shawl type thing, but also maybe something soft to cuddle. Like a teddy bear.

HollyP
05-09-2007, 03:15 PM
I think some nice washcloths made with super soft yarn would be a great gift. I love using Cotton Tots to make face clothes for gifts ( one of these days I am going to have to keep one!) They are super quick to knit and if you check online you can find a ton of patterns. Pair them with some nice smelling soap and you have a very thoughtful gift.

Skater
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
How about a flower washcloth made with cotton chenille from Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting book (or something similar)? Cotton chenille is soft.

debinoz
05-09-2007, 03:43 PM
When my aunt was in her final few months, she couldn't stand anything to touch her unless it was super soft. She also got extremely hot one minute and freezing the next. A shawl or lap blanket and super soft washcloths would get my vote.

threesmom
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
You could try a prayer shawl too - they go fairly quickly if in a big yarn - like KP suri alpaca - its soft, warm and light. And the thought and blessings linked to them are nice. I found when I made them, they were soothing for me as well as (hopefully!) those I gave them too.
Here's http://www.shawlministry.com/ a link.
:hug: to you too.

Nobones
05-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Thick warm slippers. My feet were like blocks of ice, a friend made me a pull on pair. So snug I still have them. Otherwise some sort of soft, (REALLY must be soft, the simplest thing be uncomfortable against the skin.) I also had a lap blanket which was nice.

Anne BIG hugs to you, I'll be thinking of you and your family.

zip
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
The softest socks you can make. A pillow.

Anne
05-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I am coping with my 2nd round of chemo. The worst thing is the nausea. I consider myself very lucky as i am not in the hospital getting it as some people are. My hair has thinned but that will grow back.

Please guys and gals get on your knees and thank your lucky stars if you do not have cancer. I took my good health for granted before i was diagnosed.

Happy knitting.........

Thank you for the kind words. I will add them to my scrapbook.

Liliyarn
05-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Cancer Survivor here...I spent a year solid in the hospital. Here's my two cents from personal experience:

Donate blood
Donate your hair if it is long enough (10 inches required)
Socks and slippers sound quick and very nice
of all the material gifts I got, I liked the lotion b/c I could smell the chemo coming through my skin.
Mints or something similar to take the nasty chemo taste out of my mouth
Ginger tea for upset tummy and sometimes I couldn't swallow too well and it was all I could take in
Bandanas as I didn't wear hats or wigs
Visits were the best as the hospital was beyond boring - get her out of her room if possible sit outside or in the canteen
A shawl sounds nice too. Or anything to kindda wrap around it is like a knitted hug.
Chapstick
I wasn't allowed flowers b/c of the bacteria in them so maybe fake flowers or something else pretty to look at
If she can eat okay, outside food nothing from the hospital
chocolate
Magazines books and the like

I know it's not really knitted stuff, but it is my honest opinion of the things that were most used by me.

She has my good thoughts coming her way...

aineepooh1
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I PM 'd you Lillyyarn