PDA

View Full Version : Pricing questions...

DragonsChest
05-09-2007, 01:38 PM
If I buy sock yarn at $15.00/skein, and one skein makes a basic pair of womens socks, no cables, or "fancy stitchin' ", and say it takes me three hours to knit one pair (don't I WISH!), what would a fair price be to charge for something like that?

Thanks for any hints and tips. :notworthy:

Mulderknitter
05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Things that you put that kind of effort and time into like socks I don't sell to anyone, I see them as more of a gift. I feel like knitted items can hardly be priced out because of the time involved, and it wouldn't be fair to charge $40 for a pair of socks

DragonsChest
05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
That's what I've been coming across. I know if I went somewhere and someone was charging $40 for a pair of socks, I'd probably laugh.

Not because it isn't actually worth that in supplies and time, but who in the world buys a pair of socks for $40???

I guess unless you can get the yarn at highly discounted prices, it just wouldn't pay to try and sell them. It's more fun to give them away any way. :happydance:

DragonsChest
05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Back to the main question though. I know there are etsy stores out there that sell their knitted hats, sweaters, etc.... I wonder what formula they use to figure prices.

ChroniclesofYarnia
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Most commission knitters charge 10 to 25 cents per yard, and you buy the yarn. Trust me, there are people who will pay 40.00 for socks. People do all the time at frou frou stores, so why not get yourself custom ones?

It makes me sad to see people undercharge for their skill. I see it all the time on Etsy, where they are barely charging over what the yarn costs. :shrug:

marykz
05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I just flipped thru a book that may help you with this: crocheting for fun and profit. the author goes thru various business models for selling hand made goods, and how to run a small business. (in the beginning it also talks about how to crochet and gives 4 (lame) patterns)

While the books are a little old and don't cover internet selling, the basic information is still the same. Some people charge a per hour type price, others triple the materials costs, etc. she talks about pros and cons of each model, and talks about marketing, paperwork, etc.

it was at my local library.

Crocheting for fun & profit
Sims, Darla.
Publisher: Prima Pub.,
Pub date: c2000.
Pages: xi, 337 p., [4] p. of plates :
ISBN: 0761521615