PDA

View Full Version : What Yarn to Use?

larudden
05-10-2007, 10:46 AM
OK, total beginner here.................

http://vickiehowell.blogspot.com/2006/11/glove-bites-november-free-pattern-of.html

I want to make these! Of course, I don't know anything about the different brands of yarn other than what I see at Michael's or Wal-Mart. Pretty sad........

Anyhow, I just discovered a JoAnn's Superstore in my area and thought I'd take a trip there and see what EXACTLY a Joann's Superstore is.

In your opinion, what would YOU buy in place of the Cascade and Berroco yarns? So many of the yarns I have feel so stiff to me. When I was in RI recently, I went in a yarn store and bought some Berroco Keltic yarn and it was sooooooooo soft it almost fell off my needles. Since I want to start this project NOW, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!!

vaknitter
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I may not be the best person to answer your question .... but I happen to really like Cascade and Berroco yarns. I think they are moderately priced and work well for most projects. If you do not have access to a yarn shop can you look for something with a similar guage? Looks like you need 4 stitches per inch on 10 1/2 needles. Plymouth makes some nice afordable yarns...not sure if that is available at Joanns or not.

Good luck

KnitClickChick
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I would use whatever yarn feels good to you, just make sure you get the correct guage for the yarn you decide to use. I like Crystal Palace yarns. Do you have a LYS near you? That might be a good place, and maybe they could recommend something.