PDA

View Full Version : can i reuse this yarn?

itsjustmeghan
05-10-2007, 09:21 PM
so i made a wicked. it's super cute and everything, but it's gigantic. between the yarn stretching and my chest shrinking after weaning, the thing is REALLY wide despite all my attempts to decrease it.
in a sad attempt to salvage it and make it wearable, i wet it down and tossed it in my dryer (on delicate) in an attempt to shrink it, but not felt. it was successful, but now i have a short wide sweater. :doh: while i'm proud of it, and it's cute, i'll never wear it because it doesn't look good on. it's just WAY too wide.

meanwhile, i'm short on funds and drooling over the green gable pattern on zephyr's site.....
can i reuse the wicked's yarn if i kinda shrink it a little? :shrug:
i'm just worried about the gage still being too big, and the yarn being weird now...and that i should make this summer type shirt from a cotton...

what do you think?

brendajos
05-10-2007, 09:29 PM
well people are always going to goodwill and such scavenging for sweaters to re-purpose.... i don't see how yours would be any different. you would likely need to make sure you gauge swatch it again to make sure the gauge hasn't changed i suppose but otherwise i don't see any reason why not.

don't know how yardage changes though or what the requirements are for those two patterns... probably want to try to keep track of that when you unravel if you can.

suzeeq
05-10-2007, 11:32 PM
You don't need to shrink it, just unravel it, wind it into hanks and let the kinks work out until you find something else to make with it. I'm always knitting up something, then I discover I don't like it or whatever, and then it becomes something else. The gauge depends on what needles you knit it with; maybe next time use smaller ones.

sue

itsjustmeghan
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
sorry..i read my post again and i sounded confusing.
i didn't mean if i shrink it now. i meant,
can i reuse it if i shrunk it alread?

suzeeq
05-11-2007, 10:04 AM
sorry..i read my post again and i sounded confusing.
i didn't mean if i shrink it now. i meant,
can i reuse it if i shrunk it alread?

Oh, you mean it's shrunk now... Well really, it's the sweater that's shrunk, it won't affect the yarn.

sue