PDA

View Full Version : Question about blogs?

AnaK
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I found out about knitting blogs about 3 months ago and am curious how people decided to start them.
I think that it is great that they are there and we can see what other knitters are doing. Also for people that read them do you leave a comment?
For people that have them do you welcome comment, even from person that just stumbled on it and not another bloger?

Eloewien
05-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I absolutely love getting comments from anyone :)

syndactylus
05-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I aspire to one day being commented upon! :D

cando
05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Ditto :)

jeanius80
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
i am a new knitter (feb this year) and blogger. i decided to blog about both knitting and just life in general. i am a stay at home mom and wanted a way to connect with other like-minded people! i want to get better about actual interesting content aside from pics. i :heart: looooooooove :heart: getting comments!

letah75
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I started mine when I signed up to participate in the ISE4 (International Scarf Exchange 4). I never imagined I'd have a blog, let alone a blog about knitting/yarn/random thoughts....I signed up because I had to in order to post about my scarf....three months later, I post all the time.

I love getting comments from people, especially people who stumbled across my blog accidentally, but stayed because they found something of interest. I figured the only people who would look at my blog would be my mom and one or two REALLY bored friends....but nope I was wrong. I wouldn't say I've had a ton of comments, but I've had quite a few.

In fact, I've even traded yarn with someone who commented on my blog.

Jax3303
05-11-2007, 08:07 AM
I LOVE getting comments on my blog! It's kind of weird though, when I get 200+ hits per day and (on average) only 1 comment a week.....LMAO

Silver
05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I think most people are readers, not talkers. I've had a blog since April 2000 and still only get about 3 to 5 comments per post. Some posts don't get any comments. But I don't mind, I've never aimed for popularity with my blog, I just do what I do. And I love the comments I do get! :hug:

Vendie
05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I don't remember why I started blogging, but I definitely enjoy it. I'm not aiming for popularity either, but I do love hearing from people. And I love it when people say, "oh, I found you from [here]" - whether it be another blogger who linked to me or from a KAL or from another website. I've "met" a lot of wonderful people through blogging.

Julie
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I started my blog because I wanted to have a record of all the things I've made, but I knew that if I started a binder or something I'd never keep up with it. Keeping a record on the computer is much more my style :D

Love comments...except the spam ones of course! ;)

rebecca
05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I started a year ago this month...it's my blog birthday (anniversary?!) on the 31st, how about that?! Several of my knitter/blogging friends asked when I was going to start for quite some time and I said, "I'm not gonna do that!" Well, obviously I ate those words! And with the help of the bloggers around here (I knew NOTHING, NADA, NOT 1 THING about blogging or computer things) I got my blog up and going and I love it. I do find it hard to keep up with everyone else, that's for sure! I try to read a few blogs a day to get through my "regular" blogs in a few days or week and hit a few of the rings each day...it's a great deal of fun and I've met a lot of great people blogging! That which I said I would not do is now one of my favorite things, LOL!

Kaydee
05-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I started mine when I signed up to participate in the ISE4 (International Scarf Exchange 4). I never imagined I'd have a blog, let alone a blog about knitting/yarn/random thoughts....I signed up because I had to in order to post about my scarf.

Same with me...I've really enjoyed writing in my blog and showing pics of my FO's/WIP's. I also love it when people comment on my blog, its nice to hear someone's thoughts on your posts.

Eloewien
05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Since I wasn't getting comments, I thought no one was reading my blog. Then my wonderful computer guru DH had me put a nice bit of code from google analytics on my site. It tells you how much traffic you get and where it comes from-- which I just love! I've gotten 400 hits this month! It's just a bit of javascript you drop on your main page, and it's free...
http://www.google.com/analytics

It's also got marketing stats and other stuff I don't use... I just wanna see that people really are reading. I'm not off in cyberspace alone!

(I just read over this and it sounds like a commercial... guess I like it!! :teehee: )

letah75
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Another good tracker is www.sitemeter.com.

I put that one on my blog and realized I've gone international! :teehee: I've had hits from every continent (except for Antartica). Amazingly a lot of people from England check out my blog. I also got somone from Bejing, and South Africa. I never realized how international knitting is.

jeanius80
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
thanks for sharing those trakers ~ i just added them to my blog! it should be fun to check out whos visiting and from where!

BostonBecca
05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I started my blog a couple of months ago. I love being able to post about my knitting because I get to talk about it a lot. I love getting comments and just knowing people are actually visiting and interested in my knitting.

Inis
05-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I try to comment on most blogs I visit. I also click on an ad or two if I find them interesting :teehee: Gotta support fellow bloggers! :)

The problem for me is I follow links from blog to blog to blog and forgot where I commented.

I started three different blogs because I'm totally crazy LOL. I can't keep them up to date so I'll probably combine them under just one next week.

Statcounter is another hit counter type service.

Jan in CA
05-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I tried the Google one and I couldn't get it to work..it didn't show on my blog. :??

letah75
05-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I tried the Google one and I couldn't get it to work..it didn't show on my blog. :??

Hi Jan,

The google doesn't show up. Basically it's a tracker not a counter. You can go and look on the google account see how many people have visited, where they are located in the world, etc.

The sitemeter can be both a tracker and a counter. Hopefully this (http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=s34knitter) will work. This will show you what the sitemeter stats look like. But you can also put a counter on your site.

Jan in CA
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I did add Site Meter and like that I can just click it. ;)

letah75
05-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I did add Site Meter and like that I can just click it. ;)

Cool, don't forget to check out the different types of meters you can have. You can have it display how many visitors you've had since you've added it, or you can leave it fairly hidden.

It is fun to play with, and very cool when you know your mom/bored friends aren't the only ones looking at your blog. :happydance:

Jan in CA
05-12-2007, 04:09 PM
:teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I really only "blog" here in the clog forum... Even then I try to keep every minute detail of my life *out*. Being a teacher, I never know who's going to stumble on my blog. And if I want to run for the school board or apply for a position in higher education, I don't want anything to come and bite me in the butt. ;-)

I do keep a journal that I write in almot every day. Kind of like blogging, but I'm the only one who sees it. Helps to get those thoughts out of my head and onto paper so I don't keep thinking the same things over and over again.

rebecca
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm, blackmailing hilde....now, that's a thought for the future...LOL, just kidding! I'm a vault :wink:
I can see you being school board superintendant before we know it! :cheering: