PDA

View Full Version : Large needles and hand pain

yarnbee
05-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I just started a new project, a very simple baby blanket knit in ss with a seed stitch border using double strands of worsted weight yarn on a #15 circ needle, only 75 stitches per row. The largest needle I've ever used before is #10. By the time I've knit less than 2 rows, my left hand is hurtin' (I'm a continental knitter). I'm limiting the length of each session working on this project, but am wondering if this discomfort is typical for working with a large needle?
(Now I can justify buying more yarn for an alternate project on smaller needles. :teehee: )

GrandmaLori
05-11-2007, 12:16 AM
I did a large needle project, and it DEFINITELY made my hands hurt. I used circulars, and once the stitches left the fat needle to slide along the skinny cord, I had to really fight them to get them back onto the fat needle again. It all felt so stressful and unwieldy.

I also did some tropical sore bandages for our church humanitarian project, which required the use of size 1 or 2 needles and cotton thread, and that made my hands sore too.

suzeeq
05-11-2007, 12:37 AM
My hands ache with small needles.... :shrug:

sue

Calamintha
05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Absolutely! I knit a hat for felting using size 10 1/2 and really found it uncomfortable. I've heard others say the same. I'm much happier with smaller needles.

debinoz
05-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I think the main problem with larger size circs is that the needle part is so darn short! They're possibly made that way because of a weight issue? I have arthritis and small hands, so I avoid bigger AND smaller needles if I can.

kitkat
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
As a new knitter, I thought the bigger needles were great. Now I realize - they make my hands hurt!