PDA

View Full Version : OT - A Weird Thing Happened Today

auburnchick
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm in the process of reapplying for a student loan ... basically reapplying for the same loan I got last summer.

To do this, you have to fill out the federal form first. Everything is done online, and it was very easy last year.

Today, I got an email telling me to check the status of it, and when I looked at the form, there was a comment that they couldn't verify my citizenship. :shrug:

So I called them, and they said that the Social Security Administration could not confirm that I am a US citizen.

So I called the SSA, and they said that no changes have been made since 1990. I became a naturalized citizen in 1995!!! I have my certificate to prove it. I asked the lady how I could have gotten several jobs and been through a very thorough background check to work at a local law enforcement agency. She has no idea how my status got changed back to legal alien.

Oh my gosh! Thank goodness we have an SSA office close by. I'm going first thing Monday to figure out what is going on.

I am very concerned because this obviously happened since last summer, and I have no idea why this piece of information changed when everything else is okay.

Sorry...just had to vent. It's very a very ...uh... interesting afternoon.

Jan in CA
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
That really is weird! Could you have miss-typed something on the form? My daughter's bf recently applied to get a birth certifcate because his is lost. He transposed two letters on his name and it messed up the whole thing. He had to go into LA to get it straighted out.

Carla1019
05-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Thats the Government for you.

Good Luck on Monday and try not to get to much "red" on you hands from all the "red tape" you are going to have to go through. :wall:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-11-2007, 07:46 PM
yikes! :shock:

One of my Aunties works for the SSA, and I called her this evening. She said the best and easiest way to get it straightened out is to give all of your yarn to me; you know, so there's no strings attached to your citizenship... :shifty:

pfttec
05-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Hildie you always have such good advice! :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-11-2007, 08:06 PM
you're just saying that because you *HAVE TO*

auburnchick
05-11-2007, 08:15 PM
yikes! :shock:

One of my Aunties works for the SSA, and I called her this evening. She said the best and easiest way to get it straightened out is to give all of your yarn to me; you know, so there's no strings attached to your citizenship... :shifty:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

auburnchick
05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
That really is weird! Could you have miss-typed something on the form? My daughter's bf recently applied to get a birth certifcate because his is lost. He transposed two letters on his name and it messed up the whole thing. He had to go into LA to get it straighted out.

No, the federal form is straightforward. It's a drop down list...you either select US citizen/national or other.

The problem is with the SSA. It's their information that is incorrect. And somehow it was right last summer when I applied for federal financial aid. Nothing was red flagged last year.

I'm hoping it's just some weird computer glitch.

Vendie
05-11-2007, 10:01 PM
My husband is a Canadian citizen with a green card, and it seems like every time he has to do something official, there's some sort of glitch. The last couple of times we crossed the border from Canada to the US, he came up in the system as a student violator (you can't have student status and a green card), delaying our re-entry. Just yesterday, when we went to the DMV to update his driver's license with our new address, they told him they have to run an immigration check before they can issue him a new license. It's always something.

Hope yours is an easy fix!

psammeadred
05-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Ah, government offices - what amazing Knit In Public possibilities...

I hope things work out for you! :hug:

hellokitty165
05-11-2007, 11:10 PM
ha !... tell me something i do not know... their system all hay-wired... i had been an alien for 3 yrs and i got the green card... then after 4 years when i came back from Singapore to the USA... they asked me where is the temporary card that is issued to me 5 years ago ????? huh ? :?? :?? i thought the procedure is the green card can only issued after the temporary is returned to them .... i asked him "didn't 5 years ago before i became an eligible alien IRS took it back aldy !! (IN MY BRAIN I FEEL LIKE SCREAMING !!!)

and the pain of going thru applying green card is a pain in the ...(you know where)

twenty different calls to them asking same questions you got back 90% different answer... my DH feel horrible ...long story short .. i am officially an alien now in the USA ...