PDA

View Full Version : OT: Squirrel Problem

KnitClickChick
05-12-2007, 06:57 AM
I recently planted a bunch of seeds/flowers in pots and boxes on my back porch. I live on the second floor, so the porch is high up. The squirrels jump from the trees onto the roof, and climb down the drain pipe onto the porch. They dug through all the dirt in my boxes and broke one of my clay pots. I was pretty disappointed at the mess, but I still love the squirrles. I really don't want to kill or hurt them, does anyone know of a friendly way to gently discourage them from coming onto the porch and killing my plants? I've had the tree branches trimmed, but that doesn't stop them. They always seem to find a way to get on the porch!

larudden
05-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Moth balls maybe?

vaknitter
05-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah - good luck getting rid of the squirrels. I have a bird feeder on a 6ft pole complete with squirrel guards and the little thiefs still get in there. I have tried putting seeds somewhere else low for them and they still go for the feeder. They eat my garden no matter what I do.

You could always try putting up a plastic cat or owl to scare them off? Or get a real cat ...

janelanespaintbrush
05-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Did a search, and came up with this (http://www.prevention.com/finder/0,5785,s1-6-72-109-4611-1,00.html). Lots of good ideas there. :thumbsup:

KellyK
05-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Grate some IRISH SPRING soap and mix it in with the top inch or two of your potting soil. :thumbsup:

KnitClickChick
05-12-2007, 10:57 AM
:rofl: I have four cats. When they are out on the porch, the squirrles just sit in the tree and "laugh" at them. Thanks for the ideas -- I'll give them a try!!

Quiltlady
05-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I think using a Slinky is a great idea. I'll have to try that one at my house.