PDA

View Full Version : why sl1 k1?

tarrentella
05-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Im tackeling my first pair of socks, andrealy enjoying it. Im using Silvers Sock Tutorial and have started on the heel flap.
I like to understand patterns and what each bit is designed for so mybe you can help me.

I understand slipping the first stitch on a row as this gives a neat edge and makes it easier to pick stitches up later.
What i cant figure out is the purpose of slip1 knit1 as a the RS of stockinette. Why is this done instead of a regular knit row?

Im not argueing it, after al if it works it works, i just want to know WHY and HOW it works.

Thank you.

IrishKnitter
05-12-2007, 10:36 AM
From what I've heard, k1sl1 is done to make the heel more "sturdy" because that's a place that receives a lot of wear and tear. Supposedly, slipping every other stitch makes it more durable than just knitting across.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your first sock!!! :cheering:

Calamintha
05-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Slip stitch patterns don't stretch much so they tend to be more durable.

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
You could just sl1 and then knit across though, correct? (It would look fine I mean, and still function.) The North Country Cotton baby socks are almost exactly the same except it's sl1 knit across rather than sl1 k1 -- of course, I suppose baby socks don't need to last as long...

Jan in CA
05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
It's often called a "sturdy heel" and makes the heel stronger. You CAN just sl and knit across, then sl and purl back as well.

tarrentella
05-12-2007, 12:26 PM
actually know that i've done it i can see, or feel, that it is a lot tougher. Just what i need in these socks!!

Is that because the slipped stitches are locked into place rather than being knitted intot he fabric, so they don't move about as much?

Who figures this stuff out? :?? i'm so happy somebody did, because it sure saves me a job, i just follow the pattern ang get a nice tough little heal.
:notworthy:

I've even managed to turn it, now i have to do the gusset - EEK!! :happydance:

dmknits
05-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I am in the process of doing my first heel on my first sock too. The pattern I'm doing has the same heel stitch pattern that you are talking about. I was oohing and aahing as it was becoming apparent how the stitch pattern was turning out. It looks neat!

redwitch
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I got a nice effect and extra-tough heel from slipping kwise instead (Ingrid I don't know if you saw my post on that but I take back what I said about slipping heels st.s kwise).

Sarah

tarrentella
05-13-2007, 08:18 AM
It's strange how smething so small can have such a big effect.

Im onto the foot now, curse my BF for having big feet!! hes given me at least an extra hours knitting! :!!!: :rofl:

ohh well just another couple of inches to go before the toe!

KellyK
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
slipping every other st pulls the previous row up a bit and makes the fabric more dense/thick, hence it is more durable.