PDA

View Full Version : sewing ladies - What type of fabric do you use...

cinnybuns
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
when making a box like bag? It feels like stiff canvas almost... :wall:

Nobones
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
There's so many you can use. If you want to use a fabric that you know isn't stiff enough, sew it to some buckram. It all depends on how 'stiff' (ahem!) you want it.
You could use a heavy weight intefacing, canvas, (but I don't like the feel of that, too rough. But I do have very delicate skin)

What's it going to be used with? And what's it going to be used for? We'll be able to suggest the best fabric for you if we know that.

cinnybuns
05-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I want to make some box bag/tote for makeup and maybe larget ones for my knitting projects. I just want them to stand up and hold it's "Box Shape"

LadyB
05-12-2007, 05:23 PM
You could use canvas, denim, nylon, or just about any fabric if you starch it. Heavier fabrics and/or upholstery fabrics would be best for making it durable. You could also use some interfacing and 2 layers of fabric. Or you could chat up the people working in the fabric shop. Let them know what you're working on and find out what they would recommend. Good luck!

Phretys
05-13-2007, 04:21 AM
I've made a few fabric boxes using double-sided Peltex (a thick interfacing with iron-on adhesive on both sides). Or you could use plain thick interfacing like Timtex and something like Heat 'n' Bond to get the fabric to stick to the interfacing. I used regular quilting cotton for the fabrics, and I used this book for the pattern: Fast, Fun, and Easy Fabric Boxes (http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Easy-Fabric-Boxes-Possibilities/dp/1571202854/)

Debi