PDA

View Full Version : OT - Fantasies

Inis
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Maybe it's just because I'm unemployed and stressed to the max, but I find myself day dreaming of living in a small town and/or a small farm.

The problem, of course, is earning a living there, too. Life ain't free!!

So far, some ideas this crazy fantasy has generated:

Fiber farm - growing alpaca, wool, cashmere goats (hmmm, goat cheese, too?)

Collectible/antique/flea market barn

RV park

Artist retreat

It's crazy, but I'm pretty tired of the rat race. I don't wanna be rich, just make a reasonable living doing something I enjoy and can feel proud of.

What is your fantasy? Keep it clean ;)

aineepooh1
05-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I would love to be able to travel around the world and seeing different cultures and ways of life. I think as we move through life we can become entrenched into thinking our way of life is best. i wanna go see the world and appreciate it and other people for their strenghts and weakness. As we move from childhoold to adulthood there is just never enough "time" to do things we reallly wanted to do. I think alot of people just settle for what life gives them instead being an active participant in their own lives. :-x

KnitClickChick
05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I absolutely hate riding the bus into town, dealing with all the "stuff" at work. Work totally stresses me out, but I have to work. I am an old fashioned gal. My fantasy is a nice little place in the country. Me at home cleaning, in the kitchen bare foot and pregnant, cooking, taking care of the kids and hubby and our home. I want my man to be the bread winner. I have no problems with the man being in charge. I'd like to have an orchard where people can come and pick their own apples, plums, blueberries and strawberries, whatever we would grow. I could make jam and jelly to sell, maybe some baked goods. And of course knitted items!!! I guess that sounds a bit unrealistic in these times, but that is what I have always wanted. My boyfriend works outside, and I love when he comes home so I can take his boots off, rub his tired feet, give him a back rub and make a good meal for him. I am big on cooking from scratch. If possible, that is how I make everything. Noodles, bread, pie crust, spaghetti sauce, whatever. I totally don't mind household chores at all. Nothing is more satisfying than scrubbing the soap scum from the tub and making it sparkle! :teehee: I think I was born in the wrong era.

auburnchick
05-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Winning the lottery, hiring a cleaning person once a week, hiring a cook, and then working from home...maybe doing computer consulting/training very, very part time (just so I wouldn't get bored).

zazzu
05-12-2007, 03:47 PM
What is your fantasy? Keep it clean

Similar to what auburnchick said...I'd have full-time staff. I'd never clean the house, do laundry, cook, care for the dog or wash the car, etc. ever again. I'd never pick up a paintbrush again, either. No more home improvement projects at all - I'd have employees to do it all.

I guess my fantasy is to have the time/money/energy to do whatever I want, whenever I want. :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Go to Ghana, Togo and Benin, and learn the native drumming and culture.

Be unafraid of skydiving.

Speak Italian fluently.

Move closer to my family.

The great thing is, none of these dreams are impossible. All it takes is planning, faith, practice and tenacity.

Thanks for such an inspirational thread!!!

brendajos
05-12-2007, 04:15 PM
was anybody else a little afraid to open this thread? :teehee:

I will come back later and tell you mine... i have to go start cutting up the fruit and such for tomorrow after scanning the rest of the forum... but mine involves this.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/General%20Pics/homefarmsmallcopy.jpg

iza
05-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Inis, we're EXACTLY in the same boat! I'm unemployed too at the moment and it's freaking me out. I don't have much ambition. I just want a decent job with a decent salary, and enough time to do the things I like and some volunteer work.

Apart from that, I want a puppy and a washing machine. I'm tired of going to the laundromat. I live in a small appartment and it's not possible to have one. I know it sounds stupid, but you have no idea how much I dream of that. :teehee: I just want a "normal" place to stay. Not a small student appartment. A normal place with a washing machine, dryer, and maybe even a dishwasher!

It's definitely not impossible, in fact, it will certainly happen sooner than later. But for some reason it seems so far away!

Mommy22alyns
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I want a nice, spacious, light, airy house. I want to be able to pay bills or buy everyday things without having to look at our bank balance first. I'd love a little extra help with the girls, just to give me breathers or allow me to get a haircut! I'd hire a housekeeper in no time flat. I dream of taking a cruise and I'd love to take a nice, unhurried visit to Japan. I'd go to the spa every other week or so. I'd love to have some time to continue my personal study of Sylvia Plath, and I want to get my college degree. I'd go see a Braves game with primo seats by the home dugout. Heck, we'd travel around and see ballgames at tons of different stadiums!

cathoo
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm totally with Iza on the not-a-student-type-place. I've lived with two different groups of people, and I don't want to do it again. I want my own place. And a working dishwasher.

Right now, my dream is to be done school, live near where I work and near my dbf (it takes me an hour to get home from work, then 1.5 hours to get out to see him :wall: ) My job would be something that I don't have to take home with me, and I don't have to be on-call for. And in my field, so I don't "waste" all this money I've spent on my education. Something that I could work from home on once or twice a week, but could stop at the end of the day. Too bad I have no idea what I would do in this job :teehee:

I do not want to be in the country. I want to be out of the suburbs and in the city. There are a few good walkable neighbourhoods, where you can actually walk to the grocery store/market. I would live near public transit (I could knit on the subway!) I don't need a lawn if I have a park nearby. No more mowing and raking! No more stinky fertilizer! No more keeping up with the neighbours or else the property values will drop! I would have a bicycle and actually be able to ride it somewhere. I wouldn't have to depend on a car.

I would want to be close enough to the water that I could walk to the beach/waterfront, but far enough away that I didn't have to smell it on the bad days :ick:

Inis, you have opened a huge can of worms... I could keep going for hours :mrgreen:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
oooo!!! I want to make an ammendment!!! I wasnt to live EAST of where I work, so I get to drive west in the morning and east in the evening... no more sun in my eyes and much more wrinkle prevention!

Braden
05-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Brenda, I have your dream! :teehee:

phisch
05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Hehe...I've had the someone-else-to-do-the-work fantasy when I was growing up. I think it's better for adults because I never appreciated it as a child. I get to live what I love now, which is stay at home. I'm not a great housekeeper at all (why clean when you can knit? seriously!) but I enjoy baking and playing with my kids.

If I had my druthers, though, we'd be living somewhere else with no mortgage (this is a possibility when you live in CA and sell your house to move out of state). We'd have a house with lots of room with trees and a stream. There would have to be several trees for kids: the kind with branches just low enough to climb and high enough for a tire swing. We'd have an office so hubby could work from home and a pool with a super shallow end and a deep end so it would be just like the beach. We'd have koi and dogs (hmmm...someone to clean up after them). There would be lots of kids on our cul-de-sac and they'd come to play in the treehouse that hubby would build in his woodworking shop. We'd enjoy a small group bible study fellowship that we would share hosting responsibilities for.

Then we'd have extra moolah so we could home school the kids and travel. That way we could have real-time geography/cultural immersion/language classes!

brendajos
05-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Brenda, I have your dream! :teehee:

lol Contiknitter you better not have my dream! That's the farm I grew up on and as far as I know it is still mine...lol

That is my dream though. I am not ready for it yet but every so often I think that I am inching closer to it. The full truth is that my brother will have that particular farm one day and it is most likely that I will have my grandparents farm. I dream to build a new house on my 250 acres of land. Farm it organically (my mother tried to tell me today that I wouldn't do that if she had anything to say about it. I had to gently remind her where she would be if I was living on that land since I don't officially take it over until she is gone...lol), raise a bunch of friendly animals with nary a care about someone wanting to eat them. Have some kids... the kids picture to me is actually a sort of foster care type situation. Maybe have a Roloff style punkin' patch in the fall.

The good news for me is that unless something really drastic happens or unless i drastically change my view, i will be able to do it. the only thing i am finding that is changing though is that the picture is getting bigger and bigger all the time...lol

Braden
05-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I meant that I live on a big piece of land in the country. Bliss!

brendajos
05-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Lol I knew what you meant... I was just teasing.

I agree it is a happy place... Just not ready to give up my city girl self quite yet! :teehee:

Inis
05-13-2007, 12:20 AM

Nice! If you don't mind my asking, how do you make a living? Does the land pay for itself?

MoniDew
05-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I would love to be able to travel around the world and seeing different cultures and ways of life. I think as we move through life we can become entrenched into thinking our way of life is best. i wanna go see the world and appreciate it and other people for their strenghts and weakness. As we move from childhoold to adulthood there is just never enough "time" to do things we reallly wanted to do. I think alot of people just settle for what life gives them instead being an active participant in their own lives. :-x

Oh, my! I totally agree!! My fantasy is to be able to travel around the world, spending enough time in each culture to really learn their ways... mode of dress, style of music, types of foods and methods of preparation (I am a nutritionist after all) and of course, what they knit!
________
Daihatsu Charmant Specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Daihatsu_Charmant)

mwedzi
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I want to be done with school and have a real job and a decent car and a decent apt and maybe even a real boyfriend. Doesn't sound like that hard of a thing, but it's turning out to be. I'm so tired of school, which of course makes it harder for me to give it the final push to finish. Since I'm in grad school working alone every single day with essentially no help or input from anybody except maybe once every month or two, it's very hard to stick to a routine and stay driven. I'm so frustrated I just want to cry. So yeah, being done is my little dream.

My big dream is to have a huge pile of money fall from the sky so that I can travel the world and buy several homes is my favorite parts, like Palawan in the Phillipines and Durban in South Africa and a cabin up at Glacier National Park and a fabulous penthouse in Seoul.

iza
05-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Since I'm in grad school working alone every single day with essentially no help or input from anybody except maybe once every month or two, it's very hard to stick to a routine and stay driven. I'm so frustrated I just want to cry. So yeah, being done is my little dream.

I understand every single word you are saying. I went through exactly the same thing. No help, no input, not even a slighest bit of interest from my "advisor". :wall: Oh yeah and no boyfriend for a long, long, long time. :teehee:

The good news is... it will end!!! And I know it sounds far away, that you hardly believe it will ever end, but believe me, this day will come. :hug:

Redlesley
05-14-2007, 10:45 AM
mmm, lovely thread.
If money was no object then first class travel would do it for me - no more cattle class and squeezing myself into uncomfortable seats with inconsiderate people in front reclining their seats into my dinner!

Fantasy wise, it would be to own a bookshop like the one Meg Ryan had in 'You've Got Mail'. A gorgeous friendly old shop with roaring fire, squishy chairs and lots of beautiful books.

auburnchick
05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
You know...what I like about this thread is that sometimes, when you put down in writing what your dreams are, you realize that you can make some of them happen.

For years, I talked about going back to college. Last year I took steps to begin fulfilling that dream. Technology has come far enough along that I don't have to sacrifice time with my family (even being holed up in the computer room for hours still keeps me available to them). I can go online and still get that elusive degree. I hope to be done in March '08.

I have really loved reading your posts. Very, very interesting!

Inis
05-15-2007, 10:06 AM
It is very interesting. I notice that no one wants to be famous!

I mentioned alpacas to my husband and he has taken off with it. Uh oh, :thinking: did I start something? LOL. I have never, ever lived on a farm. I don't even know if they're feasible on the eastern plains of Colorado.

I think most folks just see the romantic part of it - but I'm trying to remind him that it will be alot of hard work, too.

stacyk9
05-15-2007, 01:10 PM
This is a good thread. My husband and I have it all planned out for when we win the lottery!! We will share the wealth with our families and friends by paying off mortgages, school loans, car loans, etc. Then, buy some land out in the country and hire someone to build us a log home. Buy an RV and tour the country and when we get back, the house will be done with furnishings and all. Of course, that plan has changed just a little since we had our little boy. I'm not sure traveling around the country in an RV with a 20 month old would really be wise, so I'd probably have to rethink that. Anyway, I would definitely hire someone to come and clean the house once a week, but I would still do the cooking or just eat out more often. I would trade in my Mazda for a convertible Mustang. I would probably go back to school. I would love to become a Meteorologist! That would be the ideal thing for me! And I would most definitely do some sort of volunteer work!

That's all I can come up with right now, but I'm sure I could definitely come up with something with all that moolah!!!

Ahh, to dream.

Stacy