PDA

View Full Version : i have knitting ADD

jeanius80
05-12-2007, 09:23 PM
i do. i admit it fully. :oops: in reality, on my needles i have the following projects: a baby surprise sweater, a booga bag, silvers sock tutorial socks, summertime tank, topi hat, and peek a bo mittens. oh, and a couple of sad starts to scarves for my mom. :shifty:

and sadly, not one of them is half done. i keep telling myself i will not cast on one more project, but then i fall victim to the lovely yarns whispering to me "knit me. ... no, knit me! ... over here! ... look at me i have pretty colors! ... feel me i am soooooo soft! " :waving:

am i alone? will i ever get a project done?? i need someone to slap my hands away from the yarn untill i finish a couple of projects! :verysad:

Braden
05-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, I'm sure a good many of us have at least 3 projects on the needles. I like to have 2 or 3, but you're not alone. All the projects give you some variety and you don't get bored on any one project.

letah75
05-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I like to blame my knitting ADD on my fingers. I need to have different needles/yarn/patterns etc. or my fingers get bored! I can't handle only one type of yarn for any length of time....so I must have at least 2000 things on the needles at a time. Ok, so I exagerate.....lets see, here is what I have on the needle:

1 baby blanket
1 sock (first one ever)
2 dish towels
4 scarves
1 face cloth
1 farmers market bag
oops, 2 baby blankets, not one
ummm, I'm sure there are more packed away that I've forgotten about.

I can't seem to finish a project before I start a new one. That is why I also knit dishcloths, for that feeling of accomplishment...that..."phew, I finished" something feeling, without actually having to finish something I've been working on foreva, and eva.

Braden
05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I always get bored working the same pattern, with the same yarn, over and over, so I always have 2 or 3 on the needles.

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
wow! i dont have that many projects but here are mine:
1 lap blanket
1 dishcloth
"Fuzzy Feet" slippers

ya, i have to agree that usually knitters seem to have at least 2-3 projects going on. why does yarn and patterns have to be sooo tempting?! :pout:

letah75
05-12-2007, 10:03 PM
oop, you reminded me, I too have a lapghan on the needles. I always forget about it as it's in my closet. :oops:

Braden
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I have a sweater and 2 shawls on the needles.

Jan in CA
05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Not counting half frogged things of which I have a couple that need rewinding... I have;

3 socks (1 childs and 2 adults)
1 dog sweater
1 scarf
...and I swear there was something else... :thinking:

Ingrid
05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I've got two sweaters, a baby blanket, an afghan, a mitten and scarf (both will wait for cooler weather) a sock. . . . . and I'm itching to wind up some other yarn just to feel something different on my hands. :shrug: It's all part of the Knitter's Syndrome.

Braden
05-12-2007, 10:21 PM
What she said.

Brrlracinbt
05-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Personally I am not even going to count the items I have OTN!!! I am soooo bad for doing 50 projects at one time! I have one for the car, one for my parents house, one for TV time, one for knitting time and one for before bed. And I rotate those projects! Ahh... I need to get busy.

dustinac
05-12-2007, 11:29 PM
:rofl: :roflhard: I just took 5 projects and frogged them.. most had been on my needles for over a year!! One was right after I joined KH...

I now only have what is on my sig, and a dishrag.. I keep them going and bath mitts all the time... they are fast and I can work on them while the kids are running around and at the bus stop... I wanna start Monica and the Summertime Tunic so bad.. I'm trying to make myself wait till the Estonian Garden is off the needles since I need to have it done by June 9th... :shrug: I don't think that plan is gonna work though...

syndactylus
05-12-2007, 11:31 PM
I am still petrified my gauge would change right in the middle of something if I even contemplated trying that.
but maybe someday.

jeanius80
05-13-2007, 12:19 AM
i am so glad i am not alone!! :muah:

syndactylus ~ if i knew any better i might worry about that too... :teehee: but i have only been a knitter since this february :oops:

Inis
05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm a one-project-at-a-time kind of girl.

Finished my throw just tonight (pics on my blog) and have decided not to do another big project like that for a long, long time.

Tomorrow, I'm casting on my first sock. Hee hee hee - wish me luck!

Then, I've got a cross-stitch project in mind after that.

carmabelle1191
05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
I've seemed to want to jump from project to project more thatn usual lately...I wonder why. :??
But here's what's on the needles:
-a pair of toe-up socks from a pattern from Favorite Knitted Socks
-My mom's bottom up raglan
-The front of an intarsia bag that I haven't touched in well over six months but can't stand to frog because I've never done intarsia

larudden
05-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Hmmmm, I've got a bunch of stuff that need seams sewn but I'm such a wimp at that, so they're just sitting in bags waiting for the elves to mysteriously show up in the night and sew them up! :happydance:

I CP 70 something stiches with big fat yarn on a circular and think it may end up being some kind of big backpack type thing. I have to figure out how the top and bottom are going to come together. So I guess I call that the mystery project.

A dishcloth, a bandana to match the ribbed wristlets that need to be sewn up. I saw a blanket in progress in the closet that I haven't touch in over 5 years I'm sure. Will probably frog it. I don't know.

I found a pattern yesterday online for a small felted "bangle purse" and got that knit up only to find out that I missed a purl row so the top of one side is revered. UGH! Maybe when it gets felted it'll look ok. Who knows? I'll sew on some of my glass buttons if I need to hide anything.

I guess that's it for now. It's good to know that everyone else is working at 50 million things at once. I truly DO have ADD, so my whole life is about jumping around.

My husband calls it "Short Attention Span Theatre!"

Brandilyne
05-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't think you are alone, don't worry :)

I've been knitting since February too and I've got the following OTN:

Chevron Lace socks in Sockotta
Crazy huge shawl/wrap in a zillion different yarns (my version of Prism Wild Stuff since I can't afford it, hee)
Branching Out scarf in hand dyed silk
Noodle Shrug in a cotton blend ribbon yarn

And to make matters worse, I'm getting ready to start a baby sweater, a baby blanket, a rectangular wrap and a Dream Swatch for my sister's birthday!

I love having knitting ADD :heart:

lauraknits
05-13-2007, 09:16 AM
I was actually casting on another project when I read this yesterday! I was also feeling reaaallly guilty for casting on another project so I didn't reply yesterday (shhhhhh... if you can sneak it onto the needles without you noticing......)

Now it is a few rows along so it has established itself and is safe from frogging.... for now.
I have: 4 sweaters (one just started, one to be frogged, two more than half done)
2 pairs socks
baby blanket
3 or 4 partially done mitts and hats waiting for winter to come back

I was sooo dedicated to finishing one of the sweaters, then I went and cast another one on! :twisted:

kashadilla
05-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I think I win this one:
starsky
baseball sweater
green tea raglan
tote bag
baby blanket
guitar strap
baby snuggler
shrug
pomatomus socks
cables untangled afghan
toddler shawl
danica scarf
fair isle socks

I'm about 2 rows from finishing the danica scarf, and the green tea raglan is all finished except for the back. The baby blanket is being sewn to a soft fabric back and embroidered, and the guitar strap (for hubby) is half done.
I'm hoping to get alot done, we're heading back to SD to see my family, and its a 9 hour drive from here, so those sweaters are going with me.

Jill A.
05-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't think we need to feel bad....after all, this is how the very talented "Yarn Harlot" got her name. She said that she couldn't be "faithful" to just one project at a time!

I dont think that we have a problem...I think those who only work on a single project start to finish that need some help! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

feministmama
05-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey we can multitask like nobodys business!!! Well that's how I rationalize it to myself anyway :teehee: I think what feeds my add is I keep buying yarn! Oh it's on sale, I say. I'll just get one skein, I say. I just want to see how this knits, I say. It's like my brain can't function unless I have too many things going on at once. :doh:

jeanius80
05-13-2007, 12:37 PM
My husband calls it "Short Attention Span Theatre!"

this cracked me up! :roflhard: my life in theatre!!!!! :cheering:

yarnbee
05-13-2007, 12:44 PM
" i need someone to slap my hands away from the yarn untill i finish a couple of projects!"

Dear Jeanius,
I don't think you have knitting ADD. I would call it "Knitting Diversification."

Look at it this way, if you work too long on one project you get bored and, if like me, will zone out and make a mistake that you don't discover until many rows later. Also, assuming your projects are on a variety of needle sizes, you're less likely to develop a repetitive stress injury to your hands & wrists than if you stayed with one project.

Feel better now?

P.S. If you really think you need to take control, maybe you could reward yourself with a shopping trip for more yarn once you finish a project. Of course, then you'd be right back where you started. I guess I'm not much help. :??

Carla1019
05-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I love the idea of multitasking.

I have a sweater that needs to be put together.
A dishcloth
my first sock.
and a summer sweater.

That is not that bad. I like to have a real fast, easy project going. Those I can knit while watching TV. then I like harder project to do that make me think.

rainberry
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I actually only have one thing OTN right now. It's my first sock and I'm almost done with it! For a while I had a bunch of things OTN (2 dishcloths and beanie baby sweater). Then I finished them all last week.

KathyinCali
05-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I have five on the needles at the moment:
2 pairs of socks - 1 pair will be finished tonight
1 triangle shawl - I have another week on this one
1 large bag for felting - just something mindless I like to knit on once in a while
1 prayer shawl

I don't feel overwhelmed but I'm not starting anything else before I get the socks, and triangle shawl completed. I need to get started on a baby blanket soon for a friend having a baby in September. Knowing myself I'll have lots of "in-between" socks going so I want to get an early start...

auburnchick
05-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm a one-project-at-a-time kind of girl.

Same here. The only exception I made recently was when I knitted up some baby gifts that had to be completed ASAP.

Now I'm down to one OTN...fan lace socks. I had finished the first one...figured out it's too big...and started the second one on smaller needles. I'm almost done with it. Then I'll frog the first one and re-do it.

I find that with my crazy life, I take great satisfaction in completing these projects.

Mommy22alyns
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
I have 4 projects OTN currently, but I'm about to add a fifth because I'm dying to CO for one of the toddler dresses. In my defense, I'm on sleeve #1 of Sylvia's sweater and on row 52 of my Booga bag. :oops:

I know if I did one at a time I'd finish faster, but I am a helpless multi-tasker. I can't do one thing at a time, no matter what I'm doing. I'm also a sucker for pretty colors and I get sucked into buying yarn for that reason - then I want to see how it knits up!

debinoz
05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
I have OCD.... so if I have more than one thing OTN it's usually a bunch of the same thing, only different colors. If I start something, I have to keep doing it until I'm so sick of the same thing I can't stand it! Over the winter, I usually had 3 or 4 hats going at the same time. All the same pattern, all the same size, in 4 different colors, 12 of them altogether. I think that's one reason I've never started a really BIG project!