PDA

View Full Version : sock toes

tarrentella
05-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm using silvers sock tutorial to try my first pair of socks, however in measurin gup my BF feet for the foot part yetarday, i realised he had not only big feet but strangely large big toes (arn't feet wierd? that is somthing i realy could have done with NOT knowing about him)

Since i am making these socks for him to use when he goes hiking in peru, i want them to be as comfortable as possible. i came across this http://persnicketyknitter.blogspot.com/2006/02/anatomically-correct-sock-toes.html (sorry don't know how to embed the links in the text) and was wondering if i could do that instead of what silver has?

I think it would be fairly easy to substitute silers toes for these toes, but just thought i would double check. Woul i knit to the same length as silver says and then just start on the modified toe section, or do i need to make any othe alterations?

Thanks[/code]

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
I am not a sock knitter, but I would follow Silver's directions up until the toe decreases, and then follow the directions on the page you linked to; it looked pretty straightforward... just be sure to adjust your number os stitches (as suggeted) before following this other directions.

SandraEllen
05-14-2007, 10:01 AM
The toe decrease section might be longer for the anatomically correct toes than for the decrease that silver uses. You might want to calculate out on paper how many rows each toe will take and than consider modifying the length of the sock from there.

tarrentella
05-15-2007, 05:28 AM
i did it and it worked :)

i knitted the foot to where silver instructs then did and extra 2 rounds before starting the toe decreases.

I altered it slightly to deal with the number of stitches i had but it still had the same effect and fitted him perfectly. now i just have to do the right sock the same!

he laughed when he saw the length of the foot and thought it would be way too big boy was he impressed when he had snug toes! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: