PDA

View Full Version : First felted project

MrsDavis3
05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, I just finished a felted bag, my first felted object. What fun! It didn't come out quite as I expected, though. It's supposed to be a cylinder. The instructions said to insert an 8 inch diameter plastic bowl in the bottom while it dried. I don't have plastic, so I put in a stainless steel bowl, and boy was it a struggle to get it in. Would a plastic bowl have prevented the ridge I have where the top edge of the bowl was?

psammeadred
05-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Sounds interesting! Can you post pictures of your project?

redwitch
05-15-2007, 02:07 AM
I think that a plastic bowl of the same shape and size should have given you the same result in terms of the FO shape. They may have specified plastic because sometimes metal rusts and/or puts rust stains on the finished item, and specifying plastic ensures they won't get phone calls complaining of rust stains/ruined mixing bowls.
If you are unhappy with the shape, I would soak it in water for 30 minutes, and restuff it. If you don't have anything of the right shape/size - entirely possible - you might have success stuffing it very tightly with plastic bags from the supermarket. If you don't have enough, put anything bulky inside the plastic bags. Make sure it is thoroughly dry before removing the stuffing.
I think the finished shape is solely dependent on the shape/size of the thing you stuffed into it to dry it.
They may have intended for you to stuff it in rim-first to give a crisp bottom edge. Bottom-first would give you a ridge further up.
Sarah

MrsDavis3
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Yes, Sarah, I tried to stuff the bowl in rim first, but I just could not get it in!

I'd like to post a photo, but I can't find the #$@&! cable for transferring files from my camera to the computer.