PDA

View Full Version : 20/2 = laceweight?

redwitch
05-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi all, I have finally managed to find some laceweight in NZ! Woohoo! but I'm not sure exactly what weight it is. Looking at Eunny's pics of different weights I'd say it looks something in between gossamer and cobweb? Anyway the label describes it as 20/2, and I can't find info on it online, nor a weight equivalent of '20/2'. It's old, I think about 20 years old, and Swedish. There's nothing else on the label that indicates weight/thickness to me. The seller called it a 2-ply I think, but that could be either laceweight or under. Does anyone know what kind of 'weight' 20/2 equals? It's 100% wool. It seriously looks like very sturdy sewing cotton, quite thin.
Thanks
Sarah

Calamintha
05-14-2007, 12:13 PM
It's a weaving designation. The smaller number is the number of plys in the yarn. So the yarn is a 2-ply. The larger number refers to the length of the yarn per a designated weight. So the higher the number the finer the yarn.

I can tell you that Jaggerspun Zephyr which is a common laceweight in the US is 18/2 (or 2/18 sometimes the numbers are reversed). Zephyr is at the light end of the laceweight spectrum. So the yarn you have would be a light laceweight that is a little lighter than Zephyr.

redwitch
05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks, that's very helpful. So gossamer and cobweb must be really like sewing cotton! It seems to be knitting up fine, although I'm guessing not quite as soft as the merino/silk/cashmere lace stuff you guys have access to for lace. And 100% wool so it'll block normally right? It tests like wool and the label (original I'm sure) says 100% wool, is the fact that it's intended for weaving going to cause me any problems in terms of it not being suitable for lace?

Thanks
Sarah

Calamintha
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
You should be fine with the yarn. Some coned yarns that are sold for weaving or machine knitting have something called sizing oil on them which enables the fiber to run more smoothly through the loom or machine. Usually you can knit with it as normal and the oil washes out when you block the item. If your yarn is on a cone I would suggest knitting a swatch and washing to see if it changes at all. Usually with sizing oil the yarn will bloom after washing so it could change the gauge.

Otherwise, if the yarn is not on a cone there shouldn't be any problem with it. Just treat it normally as you would any other yarn that you can actually see with the naked eye! :D

I have used the merino/silk laceweights and although they are soft they also fuzz and can even felt a bit from handling so 100% wool is actually a good thing. Wraps Per Inch is supposed to be the most accurate way to calculate the weight category of a yarn. You can take a ruler or pencil and wrap the yarn around it and then count the number of wraps. I hope that you have something with inches to measure on it! Seems like there should be a metric version also but I haven't seen one. Anyway, Zephyr laceweight is about 30 WPI and if memory serves cobweb weight starts around 34 WPI.