PDA

View Full Version : Question on Calorimetry...

figaro
05-15-2007, 07:49 AM
I finally finished my MIL's washcloths and now I am on to knitting for my daughter. I have decided on 4 washclothes and calorimetery. I think that it would be good for her when she goes on her Mustang on trail rides in northern CA. I have had this wool yarn I bought from a LYS maybe 2 years ago and I just looked at the label (I bought them as skeins and have since wound them into balls) and it is Cascade 220. Would this be a good yarn for this or would it be a little itchy for her? If it is not good for this, then what would you suggest?

mintdee
05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I have never personally used the stuff but I know people who swear by it for sweaters. So I think that it should work out just fine.
Anyone who has used it want to weigh in?

auburnchick
05-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I used Patons SWS. It's nice and soft, and it's a bit stretchy.

Word of warning...make it a little smaller than what the pattern calls for. This pattern tends to run large. What I did was cast on and then measure it around my head. Allow for a bit of stretch to make the ends meet.

Enjoy! This was a fun, quick project.

suzeeq
05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
About the size - the pattern says to CO 120 sts, but most people used about 88 -100 sts and found that it fit better. Even though there's small holes to use as buttonholes for fit, you don't want a 3 inch overlap.

sue

nadja la claire
05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I've just started Calorimetery with some left over Paton's Classic Merino. It's not the softest yarn, but it's soft enough, and it's wonderfully springy and sturdy.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

BostonBecca
05-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I did it with some handpainted wool from Nashua Creations, not the softest stuff but it was fine for the calorimetry. I want to rip it out and make it smaller however. It's just too big for my head. I do love how it turned out however with a multi color yarn.

Rennagayle
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Ditto on making it smaller! I made one for my dd and had to add a second button, in a ways, in order for it to fit (that too long of overlap referred to above). It worked and looks fine and she likes it, but my next ones will definitely be smaller.

nadja la claire
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok, I hate to hijack this thread but I have a bit of a problem. I'm finishing up my 1st Calorimetery and the holes are not closing up or just kind of disappearing. I know this sounds stupid but what am I doing wrong? :shrug: Should I have done a wrap on the slipped stitches? Will these holes disappear with blocking? Thanks in advance.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

BostonBecca
05-15-2007, 05:56 PM
The holes are meant to be there. They are the button holes and provide a way for the snugness of the calorimetry to be adjusted for the wearer's head.

auburnchick
05-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Nadja,

I guess it might just depend on what kind of yarn you are using. If your yarn is stretchy, I would think the holes would naturally close back up some.

Can you post a picture?

I made mine exactly like the instructions (except for the number of cast on stitches). I didn't block mine, so I don't know if the holes would tighten up.