PDA

View Full Version : my yarn is finally on sale!! but.... there's a problem

VictoiseC
05-15-2007, 02:49 PM
I've been patiently waiting to see if this Reynolds Garden Tweed might go on sale somewhere... like forever it seems (Vogue summer issue 2006)

And it's on sale at Webs right now, instead of $5.95 it's $3.45
I have a hard time buying yarn for sweaters that cost $100 or even $80.
(I'll have to work on that :wink: )

The only problem is the pattern calls for 16 skeins and that's a small
18 for a medium and Web's only has 15 skeins in the color I must have.

So, I could make it a little shorter or the sleeves a little shorter, do you think that would be ok? Anyone work with this yarn yet? It's fairly new.

picture below

suzeeq
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, you could make the sleeves tapered instead of loose and floppy. And the body maybe a little shorter too.

sue

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
I think if you just make the sleeves shorter, they will look funny all belled out like that. I think you're going to loose the swingy look if you shorten the sweater or the sleeves.

maybe you can buy the yarn on sale, then find the rest that you need somewhere else? If the dyelots are different, you can always alternate skeins to help them blend in.

VictoiseC
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
thanks Sue, that's an idea but I actually like the floppy sleeves. Shorter sweater I think. You'd think one skein of yarn wouldn't make that big a difference but I'm probably really wrong on that one.

brendajos
05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
well the thing is that you don't know how much of that last skein is used either. you could leave off the pockets but i doubt it would save you that much.

i would say follow Hildi's advice and see if you can find a skein or two elsewhere and then blend them in.

i would also call webs to see if they really have as many as the site says they do. i have heard that their systems don't update as frequently as one would like so what you see may not be what they actually have.

puppyluv
05-15-2007, 05:53 PM
i would also call webs to see if they really have as many as the site says they do. i have heard that their systems don't update as frequently as one would like so what you see may not be what they actually have.
VERY true...I once purchased 4 skeins each of 3 different colors, and they sent me an email: "sorry, the blue is sold out, we shipped the rest this morning". It was ok for me, it was just for 3 felted bags; but if all that yarn were going into let's say a striped sweater or something, I'd have been frustrated. But; you cannot beat their close out prices! (totally worth it!)

Ingrid
05-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I'd probably buy the rest elsewhere and if there is a noticeable difference in dye lots, I'd use that for the garter trim, or seaming. I'm paranoid about running out, though, so I always order too much.

GinnyG
05-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmmm, you could make the sleeves tapered instead of loose and floppy. And the body maybe a little shorter too.

sue

I agree, I'd get the ones that are available then find the rest elsewhere and "work it in".

VictoiseC
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok, I tried to read this first thing this morning ha. I did email Webs and they wrote back right away they only have the 15 skeins. I agree with you Hildie, actually I love the way the sweater looks exactly like it is. I really should make a medium though so I'm really going out on a limb. (if I get just 15) 16 = small
18 - medium. Funny thing is I haven't seen this yarn at ANY yarn stores all over Manhattan. My lys around the corner (:shock:) said she'd order it for... $6.50 a skein (it's online all over the place for $5.50)

So, can ya imagine, I'd have to order a few skeins from another shop and then I'd probably end up buying a bunch of other stuff yikes!

ok, thinking time. THANKS!