PDA

View Full Version : Introducing me :-)

willowangel
05-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query :-)

I thought I'd say hi and introduce myself for those who are interested.

I'm Fiona, from Scotland, which means lots of interesting rainy nights in to do stuff with ;-) I have always made stuff, since I was a little girl, and veer wildly between all sorts of different crafts, often mixing them together for inspiration. I like experimenting with new techniques and pick things up quite quickly, usually - I teach myself most things and almost opened a bead shop last year but got sick again :ick:

I have fibromyalgia, so what I can do is quite limited sometimes. It gets incredibly frustrating, especially when I'm nearly finished something and sooooo want to get it done but really know I should put it down and finish it a little later. Seven years later I still haven't quite perfected that.. someday, maybe....

Having learned how to knit english style, I've figured out continental knitting (thanks to the fantastic videos on this website, that I've recommended to everyone I know) - which has made things a lot easier for conservation of movement and energy. Less movement = less pain, woohoo! :cheering: I'm still getting used to it so for more complicated patterns I'm taking some time getting used to it, cause it's hard to maintain tension while learning - that'll get easier though.

I also crochet and the like. The main reason I started knitting was that I'm allergic to wool, and all the pretty things seem to be made with wool. Sadly, it's an expensive hobby to have these days, particularly to get pretty non-wool yarns. I also like to get the styles I like in the colours I want. The only thing I miss with not having wool is not being able to felt. I'd love to try all that kind of stuff, but until they invent a synthetic, feltable yarn, I can just have ideas and tell everyone else what to do ;-)0

My friends laugh at me a lot cause I take my knitting everywhere - random goth with tattoos knitting in the pub draws a lot of attention, but usually it's people coming over and asking me to teach them how to do it. I'm going to start a blog, I think - show off all the random pretty things and so on.

My main quest at the moment is to figure out very fine lace knitting and make my own wedding veil. I'm getting married in 2009 and would like to make an heirloom for it - so I'm researching shetland lace and am going to get some gossamer silk once I'm up to scratch on it. Any advice or ideas you lovely people have will always be well received ;-)

So, off to get on with the crossover cardigan I'm making - hope to speak to you all soon,

Fiona

auburnchick
05-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Welcome!

I was once diagnosed with fibromyalgia...when my children were younger. It can, at times, be quite debilitating. :hug:

Anyhow...welcome to our corner of the world!!!

marykz
05-16-2007, 07:37 PM
hey fellow FM-er!! just a quick note to say hi and welcome. I was Dx with systemic lupus at 20 and fibro at 25- I have good days and bad, but they all have knitting or crochet. I'm new to it- just a few months, but I find it extremely therpaeutic. This is a great forum and I look forward to messaging more, MKZ

Nobones
05-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Willowangel I too have fibromyalgia. I was diagonsed 3 years ago. Right now I'm going through the worst cycle ever and yesterday my hair started falling out. At this rate I'll be bald at the end of the week! I've got a great Doctor. What drugs do you use? Does anything in particular set you off or help?

Sorry to be so nosey but I haven't met or talked to any one else with it, and I sure you know that some Drs won't acknowledge it.

Love to chat to you more, hope you enjoy this forum.

:hug:

dustinac
05-17-2007, 08:35 AM
:cheering:Welcome to the forum!! :hug:

Ronda
05-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi, Fiona! Welcome!

I hope you do blog - we love seeing everyone's projects. My semi-goth/emo (or emu as my husband prefers to call it) 16-year-old son would get a kick out of the tatoos/goth/knitting. :)

Sanibelle
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Welcome Fiona -

Glad to have you aboard with the rest of us.

I would love to come to Scotland one of these days - my parents were there last year and have not stopped talking about how beautiful it is and how nice the people are.

I hope you enjoy KH as much as I do... this is definitely the most friendly place in town!

Lynn

willowangel
05-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering - just got back from Glasgow (I saw Meat Loaf!!!).

Scotland's beautiful, I highly recommend visiting, but do it before the SNP declare independence cause I imagine things will be somewhat different after that (and not in a good way).

And Nobones, I'll PM you with information on the meds I take and how I'm treated - got years of horror stories and great successes, so can answer anything you want to ask :-)

Thanks for your time guys,
Fi x

willowangel
05-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh yes, and I'm so going to start calling the emo-kids who camp out my rock bar (not mine, but we were there first ;-)) emus - that'll go down well *evil grin*

Braden
05-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Welcome!

Don't feel too self-conscious about knitting in the pub, I'm a trucker and knit in pubs and truck stops all the time and never catch crap about it (great ice breaker for chatting up the lassies).

As for the pain thing, I understand completely and have adopted the "pain don't hurt" mentality. Works for me.

jodstr2
05-20-2007, 11:57 AM
welcome!!! :cheering: