PDA

View Full Version : OT I Quit Smoking!!!!

gingerbread
05-17-2007, 07:00 AM
I just can't believe that I quit smoking. It has been a month now. I still crave but not as bad as in the beginning.
Boy like everyone who has quit, things do taste better by ten pounds now. Better to have to lose the weight than smoking. The good thing is which helped me is, people smoking doesn't bother me at all.
I was figuring out how long I had been a smoker wow 43 years. I was knock over by how long I had been smoking.
I must say that I had help this time. It is from the doctor and it worked great for me and my husband. It is a prescription it's called Chantix.
I can't say enough about it and that it did work for me.
So it just feels so good not having to wash down walls and repaint ceilings every 6months to a year.
I was a really bad three pack a day smoker . Now I eat candy canes and peppermints. Keep me in your prayer that I never start again that is my biggest fear right now. But so far so good on fighting the urge.
I can't wait for June my grandson is coming to visit for a couple of weeks. He has been on my case for years to stop. He is going to be very happy.
Well thanks for hearing me out about smoking.

Nobones
05-17-2007, 07:10 AM
:yay::woohoo::balloons:

Well done that is a brillent achivement. Good luck for the next few months. You can do it :hug:

Just think you can use the money on more yarn!

knitwit628
05-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Congratulations!!! My sister used to smoke and has stopped recently too. I think she has not smoked for a month or two. A couple I'm guessing. But, yes, what a big achievement!!! I bet it not an easy thing to do either!

kemp
05-17-2007, 07:25 AM
That's fantastic! Congratulations!

It seems like knitting would help too since it keeps your hands busy.

Angelia
05-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Congratulations!!!:cheering::cheering::cheering:

I've read in several places that it takes about three months for something to become a habit (eating well, exercise, whatever), so once you make that three-month mark, you should be very well set! A month is a fantastic achievement, though, considering how powerful nicotine addiction is and how much you smoked. I imagine all of your daily activities were punctuated by a cigarette--talk about a hard habit to break! But you did it! :woot:

:thumbsup: to you!

auburnchick
05-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Congratulations! I understand how difficult those initial steps must have been! My mom stopped smoking when I was a teenager. She chewed lots of bubble gum. Your grandson will certainly be surprised!!

Silver
05-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Congratulations!!! Don't feel bad about putting on a little weight. I gained too when I quit, but have since lost that and some. I'm going on 1 year 8 months smoke free!

Keep it up! I'm so happy for you!!!!!

Ronda
05-17-2007, 08:06 AM
That's wonderful!

syndactylus
05-17-2007, 08:20 AM
congratulations!

have you been to quitnet.com?
it lets you keep track of how much money per second you haven't spent on filthy tar (all the better to spend it on yarn...), by how long you've increased your life expectancy, etc. - automatic moral support.

yay for you!

gingerbread
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Yup the urge is still there and I fight it every day. I think that this is my time to stop. I refuse to light up even in my mind it will only be one puff. ya right so I am just going day to day. I am going to be smoke free for the rest of my life and have fun spending on yarn!!!!

momwolf
05-17-2007, 08:59 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gifCONGRADULATIONS

Good for you!!!!! I have also quit and I am on Chantix .What a miracle drug this is.It's been 2 weeks for me and my husband.

pigsfly0311
05-17-2007, 09:48 AM
CONGRATS TO YOU!!:cheering: :thumbsup:

I also quit 28 days and counting :happydancing:

redwitch
05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Three packs a day holy Jesus! Even here that would buy you 2 balls of DB Cashmerino or something equally sinful. Well done and don't give in to those 'just one puff' urges! If you're anything like me you don't enjoy them once you actually have them... just want them when you don't have them. Feel free to update us further!
Sarah

marykz
05-17-2007, 10:00 AM
good for you- each of you that has quit! my hubby quit after we got married and I know how tough it can be. Stay strong!

Jan in CA
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Congratulations!! Keep it up!!:thumbsup:

Kirochka
05-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Congratulations! My father and my husband were both long-time smokers and have both quit - my father quit when I was about 10, I think, and I'm now 44 - and my husband quit some time before we met, so that's probably 10 years and more. It's doable! But I understand it's very, very hard - so you should feel extremely proud of yourself! (And you'll be around longer to keep feeling proud, too!:cheering:)

KnittingNat
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Congratulations!!! :cheering::cheering::cheering:
Keep it up and do stuff instead - eat vegetables - it's better to have a carot inyour hand than a cigarette. I myself quit a little time ago, though i wasn't much of a smoker. Believe me - it feels better now.

ADAllen
05-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Congratulations! :grphug:

iza
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
This is amazing! What an accomplishment! Keep it up! :cheering: If you need any encouraging words, we're here for ya! :muah:

lynnlisiewski
05-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I quit 5 years ago after smoking for 31 years (I started really really young ) there is a time when you know it is time I planned it the day I heard my 3 year old granddaughter hold up a pencil & say look I have a cibberate just like gramma

broke my heart & i planned to quit by January 9th 2002 & I have not smoked since had plenty of desire MY hubby quit 1 1/2 years later
luckily the smell did not tempt or bother me

Best of luck to you

gingerbread
05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone I am enjoying not smoking really. I think that it was my time to stop. Just think of all that wonderful yarn that I can BUY!:happydance::rofl:

JudyD
05-17-2007, 06:22 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:cheering::cheering::cheering:

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Hang in there! Believe it or not, the urge will subside as the days go by. Someday you won't even think about it much.

Seven years for me...nine for DH!

JudyD

NakedPancakes
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Congrats!:hug:

Knitting_Guy
05-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Interesting that I see this now. I have set this coming Monday as my quit date. I've been smoking for over 30 years and have recently decided to quit.

Congrats on your quitting.

BinkyKat
05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Congrats on quitting Gingie! You can be a super success!:hug:

Congrats KG on making a date to quit!:happydance:

Both my parents smoked when I was growing up and quit long after db and I were out of the house. I am actually kind of amazed neither of us picked it up...well, db chews. I have tried a cig once or twice when out with the girls in our college bar hopping days. But I have pretty much decided that I never took it up because I'm not coordinated enough to smoke, I'd drop it on myself, or set fire to my knitting...just too clumsy:shrug:

gingerbread
05-18-2007, 06:10 AM
:roflhard:Funny you should say about dropping the darn cig. I was doing that and falling asleep with one. That did it for me. Besides having a heck of a cold that needed me to be on a ventilator. Now that is bad so my husband and I just decided this is our time. Took us a while to get it through our heads to do this, but until you really want to your more likely not to stop. That is what I found for myself.
This time I did it the cravings are still there not so much for smoking as something to do with my hands.
The reaching for one. But that will pass too :oo: So again thanks for all the support. I must say this time the food does taste better. For my husband it is almost a miracle for him. Ten years ago he had a small stroke. He lost his taste, I am not saying that his stopping smoking has help but he says he can taste his food a lot more. And that I am grateful :happydancing:

nuknitter
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
MAAAAJOR CONGRATULATIONS to all quitters!! :muah::muah::muah:

Can you please come help convince the families I work with to stop smoking please? :rollseyes:

And major props to gingerbread - THREE packs per day, for 43 years??? I'm amazed! You've got my support from over here!

Knitting_Guy
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Can you please come help convince the families I work with to stop smoking please? :rollseyes:

Can't be done. That's a decision people have to make for themselves. Trying to pressure them about it will only cause hard feelings.

brownishcoat
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
My quit date was October 11, 2002. I had a sinus infection that had turned into bronchitis, and I was afraid that it was going to turn into pneumonia.

I was working a temporary job after a very painful layoff (and a 43% paycut), and I didn't have any medical insurance or sick time, and I'd only been working that job since August. I had to call and ask my mom for money so that I could go to the doctor.

I hadn't yet begun getting back on my feet after the layoff and paycut, and I felt SO STOOOPID for contributing to my illness with smoking. I also hate asking my parents for anything, because I've worked very hard to do everything on my own since my divorce.

Anyway, I quit cold turkey, and have never slipped. I think it's the same as with any addiction: you simply have to hit your rock bottom.

Best of luck to you guys! I'm pulling for you! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

gingerbread
05-18-2007, 06:09 PM
:lol:Yup you just can't talk people into quiting. I know I was one of those. This was my time to stop and I won't ever go back. Some days even though it has only been three weeks it just gets to me. I just think that I have gone this far go all the way. Both my sisters and their husbands quit long ago. My twin also quit about thirty years ago. He tried for a long time to get me to stop smoking and I wouldn't. :ick: so it is going to be a big surprise when I call him and let him know I don't smoke anymore:happydance::happydance:

BinkyKat
05-18-2007, 07:37 PM
When my mom quit it was after my dad had a bout with pericarditis.He quit for a few months but didn't stick with it. She never smoked again and was glad as she said she promised her mom she would before she turned 40 and was a little beyond that when she did. My dad quit again when I was about 27 because he went in for a knee replacement and told him smoking was not allowed. He had a half a carton sitting on top of the fridge for a year before he finally pawned it off on a friend but he never touched a cigarette again. He would always have me sit to the side of him in restaurants or try to keep smoke away from me, and I appreciate the gesture, but it wasn't until I moved out of the house that I reallized how much it infiltrated my clothes, my craft stuff, etc. I noticed less colds and snoring when I slept (at least dh did anyway) as my breathing got better and that was just from second hand smoke. My mom has been smoke free for over 20 years and seems to be lapsing into a teatotaller about it which isn't very nice. I have a few friends that smoke and I don't make them stand outside because people don't come over that often that I worry about. To each their own I say. Although, when mom gets to nagging me about my weight or the fact that I'm a nailbiter and how she says, "I just want you to be healthy" I remind her that nagging doesn't help and how she smoked when she was pregnant with me and db. She says they didn't know the danger then and I remind her that common sense should have been all she needed. I hope I don't sound rude...no offense anyone really. It's funny how my mom knows what's best for me but forgets what wasn't best for her! :think:

gingerbread
05-19-2007, 08:14 AM
My dd and ds still smoke and I won't nag at them. It is true that if you keep at them they do more of what you don't want them to do.
I like you don't mind people smoking it doesn't bother me at all.
Good thing or other wise no one would visit:roflhard::roflhard:

nadja la claire
05-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I used knitting to help me quit 2 years ago and I still get cravings but don't be upset by this. They do become less frequent and they don't last as long. I just keep knitting until they pass and then I knit some more. xxx:knitting::knitting::knitting:

:muah::hug:

Nadja xxx

knottyknitter
05-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Congrats!!!

I just started on Chantix. After 25 years its time to give up this nasty habit. Putting on about ten pounds will be good for me also.

XbelovedXoneX
05-27-2007, 12:14 AM
congrats!!!

My husband has been wanting to try that prescription for a few months now, but he doesn't have insurance right now. He's quit a couple times, but has given in before. The latest time was when he quit for 3 months using the patch... but then our wedding day came around. I think it was the stress maybe? :roflhard:

gingerbread
05-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Just an update still not smoking. Yes the cravings are not coming as often. Thank goodness even though I didn't give in.:happydance:
I really believe in the Chantix it really helped me through this. I know I wouldn't have made it with out it.
Right after I quit I started using a toothpick for the reaching for a cigarette action, It works for me and I am sticking to it.:roflhard:

redwitch
05-27-2007, 04:21 AM
I wouldn't hassle others over their decision to smoke even if I were a non-smoker... but I will never ever let anyone smoke inside my house or car! And never would myself. It's bad enough on me and my clothes on those times I do smoke. Congrats all you who have quit it is very difficult when you are addicted! For me the thing is that when want some so I buy a pack, I smoke one and then realise I didn't enjoy it at all. Just need to remember I don't like them BEFORE i decide to buy some rather than after.
Sarah

dustinac
05-27-2007, 09:22 AM
:blooby:Congrats!! That is wonderful :thumbsup:

mrs.hre
05-27-2007, 10:03 AM
:cheering:i am on chantix to and it is working great

lindag
05-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Good for you, Gingerbread!

This is the best decision you have ever made!

I just completed my 9th year of freedom from smoking and I feel wonderful about myself. I smoked for over 40 years as well.
Even after all this time I still congratulate myself for having the strength to do it.

You will never regret this decision. Keep up the good work!

AnaK
05-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Good for you for quiting.:cheering:
I did it to last September. Acupuncture helped me do it.:thumbsup: I did patches before that that were not sucessfull.
So for people that want to quit and everything else fails try acupuncture. For some people one session is enough but for me it took several.

DragonTush
05-27-2007, 02:15 PM
WEll Congratulations!! I know how hard it can be to quit...especially after a good meal or after a beer. You should be so proud of yourself Gingerbread:cheering:

KG..Good luck with quitting. A guy who can teach himself to knit despite the "general, non knitting" communities saying men don't knit, can certainly quit smoking. :thumbsup:

snowbear
05-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Just wanted to add my congrats.. that is awesome..

Big Bear Hugs your way!:hug: