PDA

View Full Version : Mason-Dixon chevron/ moss stitch hand towel

marykz
05-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Friends-

I want to make the hand towels from the Mason Dixon book- the chevron and the moss stitch ones. I'm not crazy about linen though- for some reason I have a really had a hard time with it. it didn't flow through my fingers well, etc.

Anyone made these lately? Do you think mercerized cotton would give me the nice pattern definition? my other choice is some Cotton Ease that just happens to be the right color for my bathroom, but I'm not sure whether the cotton/acrylic blend is ok for a hand towel.

Any pattern tips? been there done that's? Thanks for any advice, MKZ

oh yeah- I forgot to say i did search the archives first....

auburnchick
05-17-2007, 05:00 PM
I made the moss pattern last summer and used Plymouth Linen Isle (on wood circulars...yuck!). It was one of my first projects.

The yarn did not slide well on the wood (but I was a newbie and didn't know better). BUT, the towels look so pretty! I also didn't know about gauge, so they're a bit on the small side.

Had I to do over, I would probably use cotton.

Oh, and the pattern is pretty easy...monotonous even. But you get a great looking set of towels.

suzeeq
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I think you could use Cotton Ease. If you want a thinner yarn and have a Hobby Lobby close, their Sinfonia mercerized cotton is on sale this week.

marykz
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks Nathalie and Suzeeq! my big project this summer is to re-do our bedroom/ bath. I have the paint, and the new bedspread- now I just have to get to it!! I have yarn to make a pretty throw for the bed, and the colors must be on my mind all the time b/c I bought this cotton ease because I liked it- then discovered it matched my color scheme.... haha I also want to knit a pillow cover, but haven't yet picked a pattern...

Thanks for the input!