PDA

View Full Version : OT - Glass Buttons Feedback

larudden
05-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I've been trying to find a way to incorporate my lampwork glass beads into my knitting and I'd love your opinion on these buttons I made yesterday.

Since my beads come off the rod with only one hole, the challenge has been finding a way to sew these babies on stuff without losing the integrity of the bead. Also, it's gotta be functional.

I found a company online that sells button shanks in plastic and plate, basically a small disk with a shank that you adhere to the glass with an epoxy glue.
I'm waiting:tap:for the shanks to get here (doesn't the guy know I need them NOW?) any day now and have managed to come up with a format for making these buttons on the end of my rod with no hole showing through. When the disks arrive, I'll adhere them to the back of the button.

Have I lost you yet? Anyway, here's a picture of my first attempts. I like a really chunky look in my glass, so the unevenness is intentional.

Please give me any feedback you can, positive or not. I really want to try to make this work. I've got a store in my hometown in RI that's willing to "test" them out for me.

Many thanks,

marykz
05-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Wow- those are really pretty!! I think I understand how you will adhere the shank part. I'd be likely to use them on something that wouldn't get knocked around- I'd be afraid of the glass nubs breaking off. Are they going to come in sets, like for a sweater? (i.e. 5 that are the same or coordinated in size and color)

As a decoration on a purse or cell phone holder- I'd want to jugde how "sturdy" the glass part is. If I dropped the purse, or whacked it on the doorjam, would it crack?

They are really lovely and I hope your parts get there soon so you can try out your ideas!

pvsduck
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Gorgeous!