PDA

View Full Version : OT: My landlady is kicking us out...HAPPY UPDATE

KnittingNat
05-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi everybody! I'm sorry it might be long. i just had to vent...
We've been renting our 1 bedroom apartment for the last 2 years and the landlady almost never bothered us. I should mention we're living in one of the poorest looking neighbourhoods in Jerusalem, that offers the cheapest places to live. Our street is nice and not all that bad. We've been paying her 390$ a month, in our local money (shekels). So here is the story - 3 weeks ago she was talking to me about some tenants meeting and I mentioned that our lease is ending May 31. She said that she'll talk to me to arrange for her to come over and sign for another year. A week ago she calls me up and talking very aggresively tells me we're paying really low rent and she wants to get much more or we can move out. And that's 2 weeks before the end of the lease!!! I talked to hubby, because he's handling all the talks with this landlady (she makes me nervous) and he talked to her and explained that he has a REALLY important exam on May 29th and till then we're not moving. She agreed to give us another month. To make a long story short - she calls tonight ( that's May 19, 22.30) and says she's got people who want the apartment and if we won't pay her 480$ - we should move as soon as possible!!!! I AM SO ANGRY!!!! I can find 3 bedroom for 550$!!!

The exchange rate of the $ has gone down, so everybody are raising rent, but this is too much!!!
Now i have to look for a place by myself (hubby works evening shifts this week) and pack the stuff!!!

And now i'm home alone (hubby works night), explaining my pets we're moving. They're not excited at all:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Nobones
05-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Can she legally do that? Oh I'm so sorry, that's a lot of stress. I hope you can find something soon.

threesmom
05-19-2007, 04:34 PM
That is so unfair!! It sounds like she is totally taking advantage of you, and doesn't sound like she's honest either. If I were you, (well I'd probably yell and scream at the woman, but what I should do...) I'd write a letter to her reminding her of the agreement she made with you, and the date you plan to leave. Probably won't make a difference, but it might help you feel better. I'd also give a heads up to the new tenants - tell them how unfairly she treated you and for them to get anything with her in writing. You're probably better off without her - hopefully this whole aggarvating situation will get you guys in a much better situation. Good luck with you search!!:hug:

KnittingNat
05-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, usually both sides should let each other know a month or two or even three ahead... She is not going to change the locks or something, she's just being rude and pushy. she thinks that if we don't have children yet, we can move easily...

Thanks for the support :heart:

Nobones, I PM'd you :hug:

Jan in CA
05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know what your laws are, but that wouldn't be allowed here. They have to give you notice...I think 30 days.

As an aside...I almost fainted when I converted the rent to US dollars. A one bedroom here where I live usually costs at least $1200 a month which is about 4,802.53 Israeli New Shekel unless I'm doing something wrong. :oo:

Susan P.
05-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I've just had, and still having, my own rental dramas and really feel for you. Your best option is to contact whatever govt dept or similar exists there that looks after consumer interests. Here in Australia that is a special Fair Trading dept. Her agreement to give you the extra time was unfortunately a verbal agreement and not put in writing however that was still an agreement and worth raising. She would have to take action to evict you if you were there the day the rental ends and that takes time BUT that would be upsetting and very distracting to someone trying to study. However, you could go to her and ask for that month as she agreed and perhaps offer a small token increase for those four weeks if you can manage it.

I often think just as there are 'blacklists' of tenants that the same needs to apply to landlords. I have rented privately a couple of times and either its been wonderful or a nightmare. Agencies can be slack but I prefer to have them as a rule simply because they provide a buffer and can attest to verbal agreements.

I've rented all my life and have never experienced the level of problems I currently am and I've been gone from that rental and that agency for 3 weeks now and STILL having major issues with them.

I've been paying $920 per month and suddenly will need to pay $1600 because I have so battled to find something suitable for my disability issue. It's a shock to the system!

I went to inspect a rental yesterday and had rung twice and advised the agent I could not access stairs and would need to use the lift from the underground parking. MY son drove me there and as we pulled up 5 min early we observed the agent walk up the street with a male companion laughing and joking and then disappear up steps into the building. I pulled out my mobile and called him - his phone had been switched off. By the look of it he was showing a 'friend' the apartment and was effectively cutting others off. I have a mind to complain to his company. We wound up driving away.

KnittingNat
05-20-2007, 01:01 AM
I don't know what your laws are, but that wouldn't be allowed here. They have to give you notice...I think 30 days.

As an aside...I almost fainted when I converted the rent to US dollars. A one bedroom here where I live usually costs at least $1200 a month which is about 4,802.53 Israeli New Shekel unless I'm doing something wrong. :oo:

You're doing everything right, but if you consider my salary, which is about 1250$ a month... Groceries are more expensive here than in US and so are other stuff...

KnittingNat
05-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, i'm calmer now, after a good night sleep :thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice, but most of it won't apply here. I wish we had agencies like in Australia, but we don't :pout: So, it's all in private hands. I hope we can find something suitable soon...

Wish me luck!!!:cheering::cheering::cheering:

Susan P. - Good luck to you too...

PS. Jan in CA - Just wondering - how much people earn in Southern California that you those outrageous rents :shock:?

zazzu
05-20-2007, 01:32 PM
PS. Jan in CA - Just wondering - how much people earn in Southern California that you those outrageous rents :shock:?I'm curious as to what Jan will say, also. :lol:

I've lived in California all my life and, in my experience, salaries have never kept up with rents. One example...in the late 1980's my SIL cleared about $1000.00 a month salary, but paid $550.00 for rent. Mortgages can be as bad or worse, leaving very little money left over for anything else (unless you want a roommate or two).

Of course, about 20 people will post to disagree with me, but this has been my experience and the experience of all the people I know. :grin:

Jan in CA
05-20-2007, 03:03 PM
PS. Jan in CA - Just wondering - how much people earn in Southern California that you those outrageous rents :shock:?

I live in southern California where mortgages and rents can be astronomical. The average house price is about $700,000 (2,801,477 Israeli New Shekel) I think and there are areas where the average is over $1 million. Insane I tell you!

However, the average income is higher here as well. I'm not really sure what it is, but I'd guess about $60,000 a year (240,127 Israeli New Shekel). Obviously some people make much less and some make way more to afford those $million dollar tract houses.

madametj
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
i hope everything works out:hug:

Susan P.
05-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Here paying a third of your weekly salary on rent is not unusual but that's somewhat area dependent and of course whether you are willing to share or not. I'm going to have to pay the $1600 a month primarily to get a place with a lift and a shower without a bath (I can't step up and into a bath at the moment). A lot of money for those two features :-) As our population ages I wonder how much designers/architects will keep in pace with basic needs that make life easy and manageable (and not expect us to mortgage our kids to pay for it!).

In the area I'm now staying with my son, a one bedroom apartment can sell for say 299 to 315k. Terrace houses I've seen between say 695 up to a million twenty. Stand alone homes with a decent garden area would be a million and a half at bottom price.

In the country area I came from, a good quality 3 bedroom brick home with a modest to reasonable garden area would have cost say 395k up.

KnittingNat
05-21-2007, 02:24 AM
And now in addition to all my rent trouble - yesterday my granma had a heart attack and she's now in hospital... I hope she'll get better soon. We change shifts there, my granpa, my parents and me and hubby...And tomorrow is my birthday and i don't feel like celebrating at all :pout:

DQ
05-21-2007, 06:07 AM
And now in addition to all my rent trouble - yesterday my granma had a heart attack and she's now in hospital... I hope she'll get better soon. We change shifts there, my granpa, my parents and me and hubby...And tomorrow is my birthday and i don't feel like celebrating at all :pout:

Oh no :( I hope she recovers soon :hug:

rennfamily
05-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Oh Nat! I'm so sorry. Hopefully your grandma has a quick recovery and you're landlord gets some sense.

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
We found a place and signed the lease today!!! It's a nice 2 bedroom place. Still a bit of a slams' neighbourhood, but quiet...:cheering::cheering::cheering: I'm really excited about moving now... We're moving in a month's time (got that sorted out with our stupid current landlady) , so now i'll be packing one box at a time! I'll treat my little stash specially :heart:...

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 05:03 PM
And my grandma is home, feeling much better, enjoying the fuss she made :lol:... the doctors couldn't figure out what's wrong with her heart. I think it was "attention failure" :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:... Now i'm just being mean :teehee:.. She rested for a week at the hospital and now she's complaining about the "mess" my grandpa made at their home :rofling:...

auburnchick
05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
:cheering:

Glad all is well! Thanks for the update!

Mariblue
05-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Glad things are going better for you, and that you found a new place you like! :cheering:

wewantmore
05-30-2007, 08:41 PM
:woot::woot:

That is great news all around.

Michelle

Susan P.
05-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Good for you. I also got an apartment this week and will be moving into it in 3 weeks. Most of my yarn is in tubs almost 800km away and I fret about that regularly.

KnittingNat
05-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Susan P., I'm glad you've found a place!!!!:cheering:

Nobones
05-31-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm glad your dramas have ended happily good luck with the move. Have you told your pets yet? :teehee:

KnittingNat
05-31-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm glad your dramas have ended happily good luck with the move. Have you told your pets yet? :teehee:
:rofling:
I did and i think they took it well.lol. besides - it's more place for them!