PDA

View Full Version : OT- need stain removal advice

noejusti
05-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi,
I am sad. I just got a new white cotton shirt with embroidered flowers on it and it got tomato sauce splashed on it. I pulled out my Tide laundry detergent and used it to scrub each spot and then rinsed it in cold water (the garment is supposed to be washed in cold water according to the tag) and hung it up to dry. Now I notice that there are these blue-white spots where the detergent was and they stand out like they are glowing. My DH refers to them as "phosphorescent". How do I get these out so that I can wear my shirt again? Should I soak the whole shirt in detergent mixed with water? Should I try to bleach the shirt? I can't believe I messed up a brand new shirt.

I think I need chocolate.

Thanks for any advice.

v.

Ingrid
05-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I'd wash the whole thing. Your spots could be the brightening agent in the detergent.

BinkyKat
05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I've noticed that bluish hue on some of dh's clothes because when he washes his clothes, he puts them in the washer, pours the detergent on them...THEN starts the water. I think that straight detergent should be mixed with the water before you put your clothes in. The only thing I can think of is more gentle rinsing with cool water and maybe a little detergent just to "balance the hue" but then rinse more with plain water. I wouldn't use bleach. Many whites don't even recommend bleach as it can weaken the fibers...i've notice that sometimes they even yellow over time. My mom is a bleach fanatic. DH is FORBIDDEN to use it as he has splashed numerous items of mine laying in the basket near the washer when he's using it.:rollseyes:
Maybe even soaking in a water/baking soda mixture might help ? Or even the old standby club soda?
If that doesn't help, I'd call your local drycleaner and see if they have any suggestions before you try anything harsher so you don't ruin the embroidery.:thumbsup:

bailsmom
05-20-2007, 01:54 AM
I would run it through the cold water cycle (NEVER hot water as that sets the stains for life) without detergent first and see if it comes out. Then if it doesn't, wet it down then poor some pine sol over it (not a lot) and let it sit for a few minutes (never longer!) scratch at the stain and then launder it again with a small amount of detergent, that should get it out.

And remember, we've all done it. :rollseyes:

LizzieK8
05-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Tomato stains can be bleached out by the sun. Hang or lay it in bright sunlight. Check every hour or so. This works for plastic dishes, containers....anything stained with tomato products. :happydance:

figaro
05-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Clorox makes a bleach pen, as long as the stains are not on the embroidered part it should be fine. You just take the pen and apply it to the spots you do not want. Then wash it with other whites, socks and/or undershirts and the spots should be gone. But check the spots before you dry it, if still there, then I would repeat this making sure to check before the dryer.

noejusti
05-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. My husband tried to soak it in milk . He thought it should work, so I humored him by letting him try, but it didn't work. So then we ran it under cold water for a long time and I scrubbed each blue-shite spot. The funny thing is that the tomato sauce came out immediately, but it was the blue-white spots that the detergent made that wouldn't come out. Then I made a detergent-water mixture and soaked the whole thing and then rinsed it and hung it up to dry. And by golly, it worked. :cheering:

So I went to the Whole Foods market (also known as Fresh Fields, in some states) and bought liquid laundry detergent that is free of phosphates and whiteners and then also bought something called "ECOVER, ecological stain remover". Now I am ready for the next drip, splash, or dollop that makes it mark on my clothes.

Thanks for all of the advice!

V. :hug:

Krystal
05-21-2007, 10:43 PM
You can always just wash the shirt according to directions with liquid tide. I have several white cotton shirts I have spilled EVERYTHING on, and they had sat forever. Just washing them regular with Tide did the trick..

Another tip, I spilled salsa on my white skirt when I was at a bar, I got some lemons from the bertender and scrubbed the lemon juice into the skirt with cold water, worked like a charm and dried perfectly white. (thank the lord for gay men, as not a single one of my female friends had ANY idea what to do)

Also, get some Tide to Go pens. They are amazing!

Kaydee
05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Also, get some Tide to Go pens. They are amazing!

I'll second that...for food stains they really do work. I try to keep mine with me all the time. The only things they don't work on are ink or grease.