PDA

View Full Version : Now for some doggie stories

Nobones
05-20-2007, 07:10 AM
:lol: Ok, we've had gorgeous kittens, cats, and lovely stories to go with them. Although I don't own a dog, (yet)...

Show me, tell me about your Doggies. Although I will hide under the chair If your doggies are large. Large dogs = me very scared.:oo:

I'll start. My dad has a Bordet Terrier called Max. It's a nutter, but soft as ****. Loves cuddles and squirels.

psammeadred
05-20-2007, 08:21 AM
This is Tucker, a side-of-the-road special that my cousin picked up about 9 years ago. He's the sweetest dog ever, and he still has his "puppy" face. (Too bad he sheds like crazy!)

debinoz
05-20-2007, 09:51 AM
This is Buster. Buster is a long-haired min. dach. My DH and kids went all the way to Arkansas to get him for me for Christmas 3 years ago. He has allergies to milk products. When he eats them, or I should say steals them when you're not looking, he starts snorting like a pig. Funniest thing you've ever seen! He also has seizures.:pout: He's a flea magnet, and sheds like crazy!

Nobones
05-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Cute doggies. You'd think Buster would have learn't to stop stealing milky things :rofl:

Tucker looks very cute all curled up like that, he does look very puppy like.

TeenKnitter
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Nobones: I guess you should go hide under your chair now, 'cos here are two pictures of my dogs.

They are both Leonbergers, a German breed. The closer up one is of Jessie, she is 5 years-old and 165lbs. The second picture of the dog in the snow is Cassie, she is 6 years-old and about 135lbs. They are both wonderfully sweet and complete wimps, so don't be scared by their looks.

carmabelle1191
05-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a dog named Suki that was abandoned at Kennedy Airport a few years ago and was rescued and placed in a foster home. She has a bum back leg, probably from abuse or being hit by a car, as when we first got her she refused to go in the car. She's still a puppy even though she's probably around 2 years old. And she's so hyper!
She also loves to chase our cat (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36021300@N00/439084142) and tennis balls, though she doesn't bring them back.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/228/506008868_ab8a3c8fd4_m.jpgNotice the 4 tennis balls.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/506008862_2694fc43ac_m.jpgShe likes to hide under our couch.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/506008834_1ab78b475e_m.jpgSuki licking the floor...yes, you heard right. She likes to lick things. Don't ask me why, but all I know is that it's unsanitary.:lol:

auburnchick
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
We have two...both adopted from various humane societies.

This one is our oldest. Her name is Aubie (mascot name for Auburn University). She's the sweetest, smartest dog. She's been in a bit of rebellion since the little one joined our family a few months ago.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02146-1.jpg

This is dd's dog, Pele (named for the famous soccer player). He is a handful...very mischievous. He steals clothes from the basket and also sneaks into the kids' bedrooms to kidnap stuffed animals.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02144-1.jpg

The dogs absolutely LOVE each other (can you tell?).

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01989-1.jpg

jeanius80
05-20-2007, 12:53 PM
oh everyones doggies are so cute!! i will have to share some piccies later ( i have 5 dogs total.. :oo: its my own little herd! ) don't worry nobones! they are all little dogs!

dustinac
05-20-2007, 01:21 PM
aww look at the cute doggies... I have Shermee who is a camera hog.. if I get the camera out to take a photo of my kids he has to be in the middle or he goes and pouts at me till I take his photo.. he is a shi-tzu or suppose to be.. we rescued him a few years ago and don't really know his age.. going on the shelter he is about 8/9... he is very loving and loves my youngest daughter.. he follows her around.. she lays on him while watching tv.. he sleeps under her bed.. he is afraid of storms and crawls up on her lap for comfort or while I'm cutting grass...:rofling:

umm how do you insert a photo now?? :oo:

off to go search for the answer :rofl:

Nobones
05-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Teenknitter just thought you should know I'm typing from under my chair!!!

I swear I still think thay can get me!:roflhard:

KnittingNat
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
My dog's name is Tyra (like the supermodel). We've picked her up from two nice doctors who found her after a car hit her and took care of her broken hip. They were working a lot, so they couldn't keep her and we took her in. She's a husky and a shepherd and she can be really playful and childlike, but she's very serious when taking care of our new kitty.

And because i was too busy while Nobones was running her cat thread, i'll put my older cat's picture too.
I hope someday i'll have enough space and money to keep more dogs and cats. They are true bundles of joy, full of love whenever you need it!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::cheering::cheering::c heering:

bobi1218
05-20-2007, 03:28 PM
This is Maynard. He's a Jack Russell Terrier, and he's 7. DH and I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's really a great dog, wonderful with the kids, and a terrific watchdog (DH travels for work alot, and I love knowing that no one will get close to the house while Maynie's on duty). He does have issues with his doggy-ness though - he thinks he's a little fuzzy person.

Oh, and he's allergic to himself. I have to vaccuum up his hair constantly, or he gets all itchy.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/rpultorak/DSC02258.jpg

bellium
05-20-2007, 08:33 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/214920809_f55b774bb1_m.jpg
this is otter. he's kind of a french bulldog, and kind of a boston terrier. 30lbs, very low to the ground, very high energy. his favorite things are laser pointers and sucking on his stuffed duck.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/381897999_c9fc2f1e39_m.jpg
this is sid. he came to me at 6 weeks of age by a man who brought him into the veterinary clinic where i work. he had broken his leg, and the guy didn't want him anymore. he's a nut.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/79/258546764_3bdf5837f8.jpg
this is probably my favorite photo of the two of them. they could never cuddle like that anymore, as sid is now three times otter's size.

zkimom
05-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Here are my doggies:

Luath (pronounced Loo - A) is the devil in a dog suit. He is my boy and I love him. He is a rat terrier and he is a year old. He makes me laugh every day. He eats his weight in our personal possessions every day and needs constant attention or he gets bored and eats more stuff. He is very smart. Smarter than a dog ought to be.

Lili is 7 and she is a springer spaniel. She is having some health problems -- tick related illness and seizures. She is the sweetest dog on the planet. In this picture she has not been groomed so she does look her best -- she and I usually need to get to the salon about the same time. I got Luath mostly because I didn't want a second dog that needed to go to the salon too. Lili and I are high maintenance and that was enough for me.

I love my dogs but they are like having extra kids without the benefits of them growing up and becoming independent and not needing so much attention. :pout:

Best,
Susan

zkimom
05-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I just wanted to mention how much I am enjoying everyone's doggie pictures -- Sid and Otter are delicious, as are all the rest!

syndactylus
05-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Paddington as a puppy.
Until I left home at 16 (a very long time ago) I would make pig noises at her and she would answer me.
Then when I went back to visit, she didn't like it anymore and would try to bite my face instead. But in a nice way.
She was the cutest, sweetest, silliest dog.

(taken before digital cameras existed.)

Braden
05-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Okay, I'm a little late on this one, but here's Mandy before and after shaving. We always have her shaved for the summer because she gets too hot in all her long hair.

SabrinaJL
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
We have a German Shepherd named Frankie. She's 5 months old, a total brat, doesn't listen at all and loves to chew on yarn and knitting needles. Despite all that, I really love her. It's hard to stay mad at her even when she eats my bamboo DPN's.

bellium
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
not to make this thread stray off-topic, but it's actually a myth that shaving your long-haired dog keeps them cool. the hair insulates them from the heat.

beckyrhae
05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
I have boston terriers. Bonnie and Crash. I :heart::heart::heart: my babies. My husband told my uncle tonight that we could never seperate because we would fight over the dogs too much. LOL

Couple of pics... Bonnie and Crash when we first brought him home. This is my all time favorite picture of wee little Crash. I made him a sweater out of a sock.

The other pic is Crash in his kilt. He's a proud Scotsman. :rofling:

dakatzmeow
05-20-2007, 10:51 PM
aw, all your puppers are so sweet. someday when i don't work 12 hour shifts, i'll have a pup again.

feministmama
05-21-2007, 01:09 AM
I love these threads. Reminds me of Auguston Burroughs when he writes abouthis dogs.

Nobones
05-21-2007, 05:00 AM
I want a doggie RIGHT NOW!!!!

But a small one!

bellium
05-21-2007, 07:29 AM
oh, baby crash. cutest thing, ever.

Ronda
05-21-2007, 11:15 AM
This is our mini poodle, Maggie. She broke her front leg jumping off a couch when she was just a pup, so she hobbles around a bit. She's absolutely precious though!

I just made the comment last night that Maggie would be our last dog, and my husband almost fell out of his chair laughing so hard. He said that was the most absurd comment I could ever make because I *LOVE* dogs and he knows I can't ever be without one. :heart::heart::heart:

Luvmyrottnboy
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I am loving this thread! What beautiful dogs you all have:cheering:

Cyrus is my 100 lb Long Coated (recessive gene) Rottweiler. He is 5 years old and I have had him a little over 3 years. He has his CGC cert and I hope to get his Therapy Dog International Cert this year.

He is a love bug, adores all people and dogs BUT if he senses a threat he gets right in front of me and growls a warning. He has only done that 2X. Once when a contractor was walking quickly towards me holding a wrench and once when my mom (Alzheimers) attempted to physically attack me. No bite, no lunge only a warning GOOD dog!

He an my long hair kitty are great friends too!

This photo is Cyrus hanging out in my office at work.

Nobones
05-21-2007, 11:49 AM
:waving: at doggie from underneath the chair!

vaknitter
05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
I love puppies !! Everyone's are so adorable. I wish mine really liked each other and would snuggle together. I think my new Daisy is just to energetic for poor ole Spencer. We've only had Daisy for 3 wks, she is a boxer mix from the SPCA. Spencer is a 12 yr old mutt my husband picked up in college. I must add that "my dog" Cody, a german shep/dobermin mutt also from SPCA is living at home with my parents. Couldn't find an apt to rent with him and he is kind of attached to my dad so....he about 12 now also. Will have to add his picture at home.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
:waving: at doggie from underneath the chair!

Hey! After the Leonbergers, Cyrus looks TINY:lol:

beckyrhae
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Cyrus is a doll! We once fostered a long haired rotty named Oscar. He was a sweetpea. Loved him!

Sweet_Thang
05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
This is Dusty; a 9 yr old Mini Schnauzer. Of course when you see him in person, he looks like he's more of a standard. I got him when he was a few weeks old and he's been my constant companion. He follows me into every.single.room I am at. And if I am not there, he follows my husband; even into the bathroom!! (DH calls him a Perv).

This was his grooming before the last time. We shave/strip him of his underskirt for the summer since it gets so matted up and tangled.

He's a nut too

REVS
05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I love everyone's dog pictures! Thanks for posting!

This is my sweet girl, Rosa.
She's a Jindo (Korean Hunting Dog), about 8 years old. She is the best dog ever! Never goes in the house, never steals food - even from the couch table(!), my knitting is absolutely safe from her, as are all other things in the house, she wouldn't even think of challenging me for anything. All this comes with her being VERY shy and nervous around people (other than me and DH) and she often comes off as subdued (I like to call it mellow, though). We are home 4 or 5 for her and she finally (after a year) trusts us to be her last one, too, I think. She will play with us when we get home now, it's so adorable!
She LOVES other dogs and we are thinking of adding another one to our pack when the right one comes along (has to be pretty laid back, too, for her sake!). I volunteer at our animal shelter, so I'm at the source...

Calabaza
05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
This is our Mulit-poo (sp?) Oscar that my husband and I got a week after our wedding. We love him soo!!

I hope the picture came up with it. I can't figure it out with the new forum

auburnchick
05-21-2007, 07:23 PM
This is Dusty; a 9 yr old Mini Schnauzer.

I have a soft spot in my heart for schnauzers. We had two growing up. Your's is gorgeous!!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

JoeE
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Here's my sweet Labrador Retriever, Willie (short for Wilhelmina). She is my favorite companion in the world. I loathed her when we got her, but she was determined to force me to love her. The picture of her in her cape was for Halloween a few years ago, she went as Pupulon The Magnificent. She seems to like wearing a cape, because of the extra attention she gets.

Sweet_Thang
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a soft spot in my heart for schnauzers. We had two growing up. Your's is gorgeous!!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Awww thanks.. he's a handsome boy! And right now, he STINKS to high heaven. His favorite activity right now is to go outside and roll around the backyard and then sunbathe. He's a mess. He's punctured a vinyl volleyball and now he carries everywhere and has figured out how to get it in through the doggie door!

Luvmyrottnboy
05-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Cyrus is a doll! We once fostered a long haired rotty named Oscar. He was a sweetpea. Loved him!

Thanks Becky!

There aren't too many long hairs around, we are lucky! Theory goes that the long hairs have heavier bone (Cyrus sure does!) and are super lovey-dovey (Cyrus sure is!).

Every year there is a huge picnic to benefit the Rottweiler rescue organization and among the many, many Rotts that attend Cyrus is the only long hair so he gets LOTS of attention!

The avatar photo of him was taken by a pro at one of the picnics.

beckyrhae
05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Oscar was found in the middle of the road petrified of the traffic and stuck on a median (who knows for how long) by a sherrif friend of mind. He knew someone in the Rotty rescue, but couldnt keep him at home, so we fostered him for about 4 months.

Brandilyne
05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I love love LOVE all the doggie stories and pics!

Luvmyrottnboy, I've never seen a long haired Rottie before. He's a beaut!

I have a 3 year old (though he acts about 3 MONTHS old!) Dobie/Black Lab mix. Aiken is 115 lbs, though he thinks he is a lap dog :lol:

I used to work with a woman who runs a rescue here in Columbus and when she came into my office one day to pick up her paycheck she said, "I have a couple of surprises in my truck out in the parking lot, do you want to see?" Hee! She knew I wanted a doggie something terrible as I had just bought my own house with a fenced in back yard.

Her rescue shelter had heard about this female Dobie who had been knocked up by the Black Lab next door. Apparently her owners were less than thrilled (jerks) because they wanted to breed her, but since these puppies were of no use to them, they left her in the garage (in the winter!) during the course of her pregnancy. They claimed it was too expensive to feed her, so they were hoping she would miscarry! WTF is wrong with people?!? Regardless, poor little thing gave birth to a litter of 13 pups! Unbelieveable. When the rescue finally got to her, she was practically a bag of bones, completely distended from nursing and skittish beyond belief from being isolated and likely abused for three months. They were able to save her and 12 of her pups thank goodness.

When my friend opened up the back of her truck that day, she had the mom and 3 pups on the way to the vet for shots. Poor Mom was so scared, she cowered under the back of the truck once we got her out. (As an aside, it took them 2 years of fostering her to get her to a place where she could be adopted by a family, due to her fear agression issues, but she is a happy and well adjusted doggy now!)

As my friend opened up the crates to let out the little ones, this teeny tiny ball of black and tan fluff (he was the runt of the litter!) tumbled out right into my arms, immediately curled up and went to sleep on my boob, hee! Apparently, he had found his new mommy :inlove:

He is as loyal as the day is long. If you've ever had any experience with a Doberman, you know they are Velcro Dogs; they do not leave your side. :grin: They also enjoy the Doberman Lean, which can be a bit surprising when your friends come over and he just sits right down (usually on their feet) and proceeds to lean right on you, often toppling over the unsuspecting who haven't learned to plant their feet. Hee!

And he's a complete and total snuggle bug and a fantastic guard dog. Seriously, he looks like he would tear you from limb to limb, but I know he's a big softie. He sleeps in bed with me like another person and I admit, he's spoiled beyond all sense. Heh. I will say, he doesn't beg for food, he doesn't jump on you when you come in the door (though to be fair, who needs to jump when you come up at least to everyone's waist!) and he is great with kids (as long as he doesn't knock them over from sheer exuberance).

Ok, I've babbled on long enough about my kid, here are some pics. The first two are of Aiken as a puppy. The one in bed (on MY pillow no less) is from about a year and a half ago. The fourth pic of him sleeping on the couch with my sister is from about a few months ago, before I learned to knit. Now you can't see the top of the table for all the yarn and projects, heh.

Ok, I'm a little out of control with the attachments, so here's more because I'm sooooo one of the dog mom's that has a thousand pics of her baby.

Last Christmas: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/ohnoangel.jpg

Enjoying a crisp fall afternoon:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/protectingusinthefrontyardresized.jpg

As a pup, he "accidentally" put a hole in my feather bed comforter, but swore to me it was "that other invisible bad dog that lives here" even though the evidence told a different tale:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/butmomididntmeantodoit.jpg

Attempting to coerce me to pet him and give him treats, by giving me the patented eye-boink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/coyaikenstare.jpg

sylvia
05-27-2007, 08:33 AM
what a beautiful way to start the day
looking at these gorgeous dogs all of them
had a dog many years ago
but now i have a cat
i am the baby sitter for my sons schnauzer
when they go away
i wont let them board him out
he is gorgeous and the biggest sucky baby
i have ever seen
very good with my grandchildren
when they got him he was just a handful
now he is one big boy
named hugo
to tell the truth i too am scared of big dogs
but i have to tell you the truth i think big dog
are the biggest babies
love them all
sylvia

Nobones
05-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm glad him and his mummy found a nice home, it's horrible what some people will do.

Last easter I saw someone throw something into our garden from behind our wall, something in me told me I should go out and see, and Thank goodness I did, it was 3 kittens no more than a day old. One was dead and the other had had cut. I put them straight down my jumper to keep them warm and drove straight up the vet, crying all the way. They found good homes too. (I know it's a cat story but never mind)

ArtLady1981
05-27-2007, 12:46 PM
What Dog Lover can resist Posting Photos of their Beloved Dogs!

Well, here are photos of our Beloveds...all four of them.:heart::heart::heart::heart:

The Treeing Walker Coonhounds, Dani and Blue.

The Hounds with Harley, the St. Bernard, also basking in the winter sunshine.

The Hounds pile into Harley's Doghouse. He tolerates much! :hug:

And finally...the 'baby' of the family: Katie, the Shih Tzu.

Nobones
05-27-2007, 03:03 PM
They look so cute cuddling in the kennel.

Getting better around big doggies now!

HamaLee
05-27-2007, 05:04 PM
ArtLady you've posted that doghouse-pile before and it kills me, I just love it! What a good sport your St. Bernard is.

Cooper likes to be doing one of two things at all times--

Going bonkers:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/430746547_3ab98f53b0.jpg

or Resting Up to Go Bonkers:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/359954002_35bc2f09d7_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/430763464_0dc4227a08_m.jpg

He also lets my aunt's new puppy perpetrate all manner of abuse against him:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/463535018_94e25eee07_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/463535080_54a1b6e039_m.jpg

Coop and my brother's dog Sandy like car rides too:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/451575848_81b2631580_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/451594391_ffd6d29f52_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/242/451575872_36be6cec36_m.jpg

Silly mutts...:teehee:

ArtLady1981
05-28-2007, 04:45 AM
HamaLee! Don'tcha just LOVE DOGS!!? I do!! What a hilarious crew you have! Aren't they just the blessing of a lifetime!!?? Thanks for sharing!!

Nobones
05-28-2007, 04:54 AM
:teehee::teehee: Silly doggies! They can't drive!