PDA

View Full Version : OT: It's my birthday today and happy Shavuoth!!!

KnittingNat
05-22-2007, 03:03 AM
It's my birthday today, i'm 26! And i hope i will have a nice day :cheering:
I wish that my grandma will get better after her heart attack (she's having surgery on Thursday) and that everyone will be healthy and happy.

Besides, today is the eve of Shavuoth, the celebration of receiving of the Torah on Mount Sinai by Moses and also of the first fruits of the land and here in Israel, it's a custom to eat lots of cheese on this holiday. So, cheesecake, here i come!

Today me and hubby will visit my grandma at the hospital and then go to have a walk to the nearby village of Ein-Karem, which is very pastoral, (and has many coffee shops :happydance:). Also, it's famous for it's churches and monasteries. In that village pregnant Elizabeth (Elisheva), mother of John the Baptist, met pregnant Maria (Miriam). It's really beautiful village ,that's become over the years one of the more expensive Jerusalem neighbourhoods.
And later we'll go over to my parents to have my birthday cake!:hug::hug::hug:
Big hugs to all the forum and have the best day!!!

KnittingNat
05-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Oh, I mixed the letters, it's Shavuoth!!! Silly me

Nobones
05-22-2007, 04:42 AM
:balloons::present::balloons::balloons::waving::mu ah:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I hope you have a lovely day.

VickyS456
05-22-2007, 05:57 AM
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8152/hapbirthdays3dv.gif

Enjoy your day and all the cake!

Silver
05-22-2007, 07:06 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/sueweb/happybday.gif

knitwit628
05-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Happy birthday!!!!!!!!! Have a wonderful day eating cake!.... and cheesecake! :)

Ronda
05-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Hope you have a great day!

iza
05-22-2007, 08:12 AM
:present::muah::cheering::happydance::balloons: Happy Birthday!!! Cheesecake... lucky you!

Oh and happy Sh... Sh... that thing. :teehee: I would absolutely love to visit Jerusalem. Thanks for the description, I could almost feel I was there! :muah:

marykz
05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
happy birthday- hope you have a lovely day and that your grandma is feeling tons better....

auburnchick
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Have a wonderful day! Israel sounds lovely! ::::::::::::sigh::::::::::

KnittingNat
05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Thank you everybody!!! So far i'm having a great day... And i got a huge bouquet from hubby :happydance:. He had this funny excuse about forgetting to sign something at work so he can go and buy the flowers :lol:

sara_jayne
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Happy Birthday! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Enjoy the celebration! I'll be thinking about your family & your grandma - I hope the surgery goes well!:hug:

mwedzi
05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Yay! Happy Birthday! :balloons:

Mariblue
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
It sounds like you'll have a wonderful birthday! :balloons:
Also wishing your grandma the best. :heart: Have a great day!

jeanius80
05-22-2007, 11:02 AM
:star:happy birthday:balloons: & well wishes to your grandma!:muah:

Sanibelle
05-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Happy Birthday and many more! I hope you have a great day! I think I will go eat some strawberry cheesecake - fruit and cheese all in one! YUM!!!

Lynn

Kaydee
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Have a wonderful birthday!!!!!!!!:cheering:

mintdee
05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Happy Birthday! :grphug::cheering:

jodstr2
05-22-2007, 12:19 PM
:muah::heart::hug:happy birthday and happy Shavuoth! :hug::heart::muah:

aineepooh1
05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Have a Happy BDay~

Birthday Girl~!!:muah::muah::muah:

Is it possible for you to post some pics of these places your talking about??/ That would be SOOOO cool to see if you could~!:inlove:

PaperGirl
05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
:woot:

syndactylus
05-22-2007, 01:29 PM
happy birthday!
hope you get lots of beautiful yarn, and your grandmother is well!

KnittingNat
05-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Have a Happy BDay~

Birthday Girl~!!:muah::muah::muah:

Is it possible for you to post some pics of these places your talking about??/ That would be SOOOO cool to see if you could~!:inlove:

The forum has been working very slow for me, so attaching the pics would be a very long work, so.... i found some great links! :inlove:
The first one is from wikipedia, it contains pictures and explanations about the village of Ein-Karem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ein_Kerem

And the other one is link to a great site with photos of Jerusalem:

http://www.jerusalemshots.com/cat_en36.html

I hope you'll enjoy the pictures!
Jerusalem is a very versatile city, it has hi-tech areas and neighbourhoods that look like from 100 years ago and slams and luxury...

nadja la claire
05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
:muah::hug::lol::cheering::happydance: :angelgrin::clink::woot::present::balloons::)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY and SHAVOUTH!!!!!
ENJOY YOUR CHEESE CAKE :drool:

I'll be thinking about your grandmother. I hope all goes well with her surgery.

:muah::hug:

Nadja :knitting:

samm
05-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Probably your birthday is nearly over now! It's dinner time in my part of Canada and later in Jerusalem. I hope your birthday was happy and that you have many many more! You live in an interesting historical and beautiful area of the world. Wish I could come in person to wish you birthday happiness! :muah:samm

DeAnzaJig
05-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Happy Birthday! :balloons:

I love that there is holiday (Shavouth) that is celebrated by eating cheese!

caviar
05-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Hayom huledet!

Kirstin

KnittingNat
05-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Hayom huledet!

Kirstin

do you speak Hebrew? :cheering:
Thank you!:heart:

caviar
05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
do you speak Hebrew? :cheering:

No, not really. I took a semester of Hebrew a few years ago, and I remember a little bit. But a friend of mine from Israel sent my daughter a CD that has the birthday song on it, so I remembered this and wanted to wish you Happy Birthday in your own language. Glad it was a good one! :present:

Kirstin

KnittingNat
05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
No, not really. I took a semester of Hebrew a few years ago, and I remember a little bit. But a friend of mine from Israel sent my daughter a CD that has the birthday song on it, so I remembered this and wanted to wish you Happy Birthday in your own language. Glad it was a good one! :present:

Kirstin

Well, actually "hayom yom huledet" means "today is the birthday" and "happy birthday" is "yom huledet sameah", but thank you anyway :muah::muah::muah:
And actually, Hebrew is not my mother tongue, it's Russian, so i'm kind of bilingual :cheering:

How cool is that? :happydance:

BostonBecca
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
You speak English too! So you are sort of trilingual, which I am so jealous of.

Happy Late Birthday.

I ate some goat cheese yesterday just because I wanted some, I guess I must be on the Jewish holdiay calendar inside my head. I am Jewish by birth but had no idea about the date of this shavuoth this year.

Your post made me want to go start a kibbutz centered around knitting. I could raise some serious sheep like a Bedouin if this whole lawyer thing doesn't work out.

KnittingNat
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
You speak English too! So you are sort of trilingual, which I am so jealous of.

Happy Late Birthday.

I ate some goat cheese yesterday just because I wanted some, I guess I must be on the Jewish holdiay calendar inside my head. I am Jewish by birth but had no idea about the date of this shavuoth this year.

Your post made me want to go start a kibbutz centered around knitting. I could raise some serious sheep like a Bedouin if this whole lawyer thing doesn't work out.

:roflhard::roflhard:
You know that all the kibbutzes (that's the plural?) have gone commercial? The idea just doesn't work:shrug:
So i guess we'd better stick to our capitalist (tfuy,tfuy, gewald) professions :lol:!
And keep knitting all around the world !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

caviar
05-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, actually "hayom yom huledet" means "today is the birthday" and "happy birthday" is "yom huledet sameah", but thank you anyway :muah::muah::muah:
And actually, Hebrew is not my mother tongue, it's Russian, so i'm kind of bilingual :cheering:

How cool is that? :happydancing:

Thanks for the Hebrew lesson! :hug: Now I won't tell my daughter the wrong thing when she asks me what that song says. :happydancing:

I'm so jealous of anyone fluent in that many languages. I kind of "collect" languages...study a semster here or there, but I'm only fluent in English and Spanish (although not perfect). I really enjoyed learning some Hebrew because it's an ancient language applied to the modern world, and so many words do double-duty. There's a lot of natural poetry and metaphor in that; some words mean two different things that I wouldn't have thought about comparing before.

I think Russian is beautiful to listen to. For that reason, I'm not sure I'd want to learn it. I think Portuguese is probably the most beautiful language in the world, but when I started to learn it, I started listening to the words and meaning instead of the music of the language. I'm afraid it would be the same with Russian.

Anyway, thanks again,
Kirstin