PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Set-in Sleeve Sweater Wheel?

fingersfancy
05-22-2007, 08:10 PM
I am looking for the Patent No. on the Set-in Sleeve Sweater Wheel by Bea Freeman. I think it is the same as the Raglan Sweater Wheel and would be so happy if someone could confirm this for me.

The Raglan Sweater Wheel has the following in the center of the wheel:
Raglan Sweater Wheel
Copyright (c) 1969 Bea Freeman
P.O. Box 87
Bryn Mawr, PA. 19010
Patent No. D221224
Thanks in advance for your help!
Ruth

marykz
05-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Patent No. D221224

OK, I work in the patent business for a living... so here goes...

This design patent D221224 is called Sweater Instruction Wheel
It issued 7/20/1971 to Beatrice L Freeman. As these records are so old, my database only has the first page.

It does not specify what type of sleeve (set in -vs- raglan) but from the design picture, it appears to be describing set in sleeves.

My database has no other documents by this inventor for this type of item, so it would be my opinion that the design patent number is being used on both types of items.

Standard disclaimer:
My opinion is not legal advice, nor does it speak to the validity of any item cited.

If you need a copy of this item, visit:
the United States Patent Office website Electronic Business Center
http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/index.html

where you can see how to search for and obtain copies of patent documents. there may be a fee to obtain a hard copy. the e-copy should be free. most major cities in the US have a Patent Depository library (check http://www.uspto.gov) where you can go in person to find copies of patents.

Google also has a nice patent searching interface, however, I'm not sure it goes back to 1971.

FYI, as the record is so old, I couldn't search by inventor name. I used the term "sweater near10 wheel" in the USPTO database to find your specific design.

pm me if I have totally confused you....

fingersfancy
06-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to reply - I thought my email notification was on and clearly it was not!
Thank you for your posting! It is very helpful.

ednafrieda
04-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Ruth,

Just came across this thread today. Given how much time has passed, you may already have your answer, but if not (or for anyone else who's interested)....

The Raglan and Set-In Sleeve Sweater Wheels each actually consist of TWO wheels. On one side, the wheel provides instructions for 22 separate sizes (organized into Babies and Toddlers, Children, Sub Teen, Boys Teen, Juniors) in 3 weights of yarn (baby, sport and worsted). The wheel on the other side provides instructions for 18 separate sizes (6 sizes each for Misses, Women's and Men's).

The markings at the centers of each of the four wheels are:

SET-IN SLEEVE SWEATER WHEEL (children's sizes side):
copyright 19969 Bea Freeman
Patent No. D221224
A

SET-IN SLEEVE SWEATER WHEEL (adult sizes side):
Patent No. D221224
B

RAGLAN SWEATER WHEEL (adult sizes side):
P.O. Box 87
Bryn Mawr, PA. 19010
Patent No. D221224
C

RAGLAN SWEATER WHEEL (children's sizes side):
P.O. Box 87
Bryn Mawr, PA. 19010
Patent No. D221224
D

I recently acquired these on an ebay auction, and only later realized how hard they are to find. They really are brilliantly designed, and I feel lucky to have them. Heavier yarn weights aren't included, but it's easy enough to do the math to adapt the instructions (or use one of the excellent pattern calculators at The Knitting Fiend (http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/)).

Hope that helps...

Happy knitting!