PDA

View Full Version : My second FO - Socks!

Blissknits
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I want to post these to sort of thank the kind people here who got me through them - without answers to the couple of very key questions I asked, I don't think I would have been able to finish. :notworthy:

I learned a lot from these socks. Like,
you really *should* make a gauge swatch. No, really.
white wool, like white polyester, shows every flaw. choose your yarn carefully.
drinking and knitting do not always mix well.
but sometimes, a drink may be vital to actually completing said knitting. it helps with the grim determination. :lol:
it is vital to knit something you're interested in. I really wanted to wear these socks.
if you're going to modify a pattern, whatever you remember doing on sock A will not be what you actually do on sock B. write it down.Anyway, here are the socks in question. They're more or less riddled with flaws, but still - actual, wearable socks! Yay! Thanks knittinghelp gang! :)

sara_jayne
05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow!!! those are fantastic! They ovbiously took a lot of work!

knit-errant
05-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Nice socks! What a lot of work -- I feel like I want to die after doing even short socks. Very nice! :)

Robinknits
05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Great job! I've never done any that long. It must have taken quite a while! And from experience - no one but you will ever notice the mistakes!

baronreads
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Those are BEAUTIFUL!! Great job!! TFS

Knitabit
05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Gorgeous socks AND one of the most entertaining posts!

:roflhard:

Ronda
05-23-2007, 12:58 PM
:roflhard:

They look great!

Blissknits
05-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Aw, thanks guys! They did sort of take forever. The first one took half of Buffy: Season One and all of season Two. But then the second one only took Season Three, and I didn't work on it every day. :)

The first one took ages and ages because I spent hours staring at the directions going :shock::shrug::think::??.... "wrap? wtfruitbat is 'wrap'"? :lol:

And then, of course, posting here and then checking back every 3.5 seconds to see if anyone answered my questions. (Seriously, thank you guys so much. :muah:) I think it took me a couple of hours of staring to figure out how to turn the heel. And I'm a small, tight knitter, so it takes ages...I'm hoping I'll speed up with practice. (If this isn't going to happen, you guys just go ahead and lie to me...)

I do have to say the socks are *almost* the same size. The one looks much bigger because I finished it first and tried it on about a dozen times. The second one is a little smaller. See above notes re: patterns and drinking...;-)

Mariblue
05-23-2007, 02:06 PM
:cheering: Very beautiful socks! :cheering:

want2knit
05-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Those are gorgeous--great job!

dawnk777
05-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Gorgeous. I don't see any mistakes! I'm glad the second one went faster. My mom got me some sock yarn, so I'm going to start some socks, soon!

auburnchick
05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Wow! Those are beautiful!!! I'm not quite ready to invest the time to do full-length socks.

Now you need to do a pair of footies to really enjoy quick sock-making!

GREAT job!!

carmabelle1191
05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Wow, great job! My first socks didn't look that good.