PDA

View Full Version : OT-Any New Yorkers out there?

figaro
05-23-2007, 12:57 PM
My BIL/SIL are coming from Holland from June 25 to July 25 and during the time that they are actually here (they plan on a 2 week mini east coast trip) we are going to have them watch the girls for a day so we can go to New York by our selves. Hubby has been there numerous times for business but I have yet to go there. We plan on staying in Manhattan and so far I have quite a list to see but I wanted to see what real people have to say about this. Rather than go through the longish list I have, what are your suggestions? I did think we could start by taking the ferry from NJ to see the Statue of Liberty first but after that, not real sure.

Oh and anyone know of a good LYS that I should visit also, I need to come home with yarn from New York City!:thumbsup:

vaknitter
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I am not a New Yorker (read with strong accent) however, have been there multiple times as family is in upstate. Will you have time to get tickets to a broadway show? ooohhhh or a baseball game?

Other stuff - I would definitely do Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Central Park (carriage ride), NYC library, used to be able to tour the UN building, I've thought about going back to see the grounds of the World Trade Center as I have stayed in the hotel there etc etc, Empire State Building, I love going down to the Fulton Market/South Street Seaport and while I wasn't into knitting last time I was there it is the type of area that would have a trendy yarn shop.

IMHO you really can't go wrong in NYC, it's such a change of pace after living in VA.

Stiney
05-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Definitely leave time to explore neat areas like the Village or China Town and Little Italy!

Kaydee
05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Whenever I go to NY I go to Times Square to get 1/2 price tickets to the Broadway shows. The hours are: Monday thru Saturday 3pm-8pm for evening shows and Wednesday and Saturday 10am-2pm for matinees....but make sure you get there early because there's usually a big line. We usually go on Wed. to get matinee tickets and get there around 11am...I've gotten really good seats at a great price!

Sanibelle
05-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi - NY'er here.I live just outside of NYC on Long Island and I am in the city all the time.

YOu are going to have a great time. Here are some of my suggestions:

Take the Hop on Hop off bus - Greyhound NOT the other company. Even though I live here I still love to do that when I have guests. The bus goes all over the city and you can get off whenever you want and then get back on later on. The tour is narrated so you get to hear some cool things about the city. The downtown loop is my favorite - here are all the places it goes:

Stops include Empire State Building, Greenwich Village, SoHo, Little Italy, Chinatown, Financial District, Battery Park (departure point for Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island 1-hour cruise and ferry to Liberty and Ellis Islands), South Street Seaport, Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Radio City, United Nations, 42nd Street, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Fifth Avenue. This tour passes near Ground Zero. Get off at City Hall, and walk four blocks to Ground Zero. If you were to ride the loop without hopping off and on, this tour would take approximately 2 hours. The double-decker buses operate daily from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm with buses serving each stop approximately every 10 to 15 minutes (April to December) and every 30 minutes (January to March).

So you can see you will really get to see a lot.

If you want to see a Broadway play there are 2 websites that you can check for discount coupon codes:

www.broadwaybox.com (http://www.broadwaybox.com)
www.playbill.com (http://www.playbill.com)

Not all the shows will have discount codes but a lot of them do and you can really save a lot of money. I was in the city the other day and called to get tickets for Spelling Bee and saved almost half the price of the ticket. A Chorus Line is my favorite show playing right now and I think there are codes for it.

I like the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) better than the Empire State Building. We were up there a few months ago for the first time and it really was an amazing view - you can walk all the way around the buidling and see NY from every view.

Chinatown and Little Italy are fun to go to. In CHinatown my favorite place is Wo Hop on Mott Street. It is a hole in the wall down a flight of steps - but the food is fantastic and cheap. My mom and I ate there the other day - we had so much food we left half of it over and our bill was less than $30.00.

Another of my favorite places is Chelsea Market (in Chelsea!) The FFood TV studios are in this building so you never know who you will run into here. Here is a link: http://www.chelseamarket.com/
This is an old factory that now has food shops and restarants. It is a great place to graze (eat a bunch of little things at different places) There is an Italian market that sells gelato almost as good as what I had in Italy too! I love coming here and when you leave you can walk around Chelsea - lots of unique shops and restaurant.

Hmmmm... what else???? Just walk - NY is a great place to just walk around - there is always something going on. Last week they closed a section of Broadway and there was a huge street market going on. Lots of yummy food - don't be afraid of street food in NY and great bargains. There was a woman selling yarn and knitting needles and I could kick myslef that I did not get more. She was selling really good brand name yarns for $12 a bag (10 skeins). I bought a bag of Adrienne Vittadini yarns - 10 skeins for a total of $12.00 - I still can't beleive it. And 5 sets of Crystal Palace needles for a total of $20.00. SO check out the street markets - you never know what you will find.

Lots of yarn stores - some good, some not so great. I will work on a list for you with my opinions tonight and post them.

I have to go back to work.

So read my post and let me know what else I can tell you! I love sharing NY with visitors.

Lynn

figaro
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions! :muah:

Sanibell, I love the idea of the Hop on Hop bus.

I am going to try and talk my in laws in to letting us go to NY for 2 days, not overnight (could not do that to the young married couple!) but I think if we only do one day, we would miss too much stuff there!

I am not sure about a play, that may have to wait until his parents come in September, they would love to stay with the grandkids over night!

Stiney
05-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Hmmmm... what else???? Just walk - NY is a great place to just walk around - there is always something going on.

Like in September when I saw all the rabbis running through the Village and never found out why. :rofl:

figaro
05-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Cawtheraven, I had to look at your sentence twice, I thought you typed "rabbits"! :roflhard: Now that really would have been a site, right?!

I wonder why there were rabbi's running thru New York?:??