PDA

View Full Version : Best Books for Lace

DragonsChest
05-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd like to get a good book with a nice diversity of patterns for lace scarves and shawls.

Any suggestions for what books have great illustrations, clear and consise instructions, and a variety of skill levels?

Thanks so very much! :hug:

remclave
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I just picked up "Victorian Lace Today" and absolutely LOVE the variety of patterns. What's really awesome is that the author actually gives tips on designing lace patterns! :D I am SO looking forward to this!

I wanted to add that the patterns are easy to challenging..

willowangel
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Best book I've found is 'The Art of Shetland Lace' by Sarah Don. It's an old style book, in black and white, with a little of the history, but it's got really, really clear and easy instructions for a lot of different lace patterns, then shows you how you can incorporate them into full patterns. They're beautiful, and easy to follow. Obviously it takes some practice, but I searched and searched for the right book to learn as much about lace knitting as I could, and this is the one.

The only thing is this : as far as I can tell, it's out of print - I got my copy from the library (and scanned it - shhhh!), but I've seen copies on ebay and amazon (the amazon ones are extortionate, don't bother). It's an amazing book, though, and well worth tracking down.

DragonsChest
05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Amazon.com wants $64.95 for 'The Art of Shetland Lace' - E gads! Think I'll go to the library.... :oo: