PDA

View Full Version : OT: My knee

carmabelle1191
05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I have been having problems with my knee since I've started attending my school's track club about two weeks earlier. My mother talked to her personal trainer, and he said that it was a growing plate (the official name was something that started with an "O", Oslens or something like that). He told my mom that I should take three Motrin every day to prevent it from hurting, so I have been taking two Motrin every day (one at 11:00, and another at 2:45). Today I took my regular two Motrin and went to track club. But by the time it had ended, I couldn't lean on my knee. It feels fine now and when I walk, but I can tell it's swollen. Does anyone know what I should do, or if I should talk to my doctor about it? Thanks.

TeenKnitter
05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I also have knee problems. I have a floating patella in my left knee (loose knee cap for those of you who don't know the terminology). I would recommend seeing your doctor, my knee used to swell up and I had to have the fluid drained at one point, ugh. If something is wrong its best to catch it early.

Ronda
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't keep running until I had cleared it with my doctor. Any number of things could be going on, and it's better to be cautious.

CateKnits
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
For what it's worth, I've got knee problems and I ended up on so much Motrin that it started to hurt my stomach and never solved my problem (it took them two years, three sets of x-rays, and an MRI to tell me I had tendonitis). Just before I gave up and stopped taking it, I'd been prescribed the 600mg tablets three times a day.

pss56
05-23-2007, 06:17 PM
I think what you are describing is Osgood Slaughter's disease. One of my sons had the same thing when he was 13. That was about 11 years ago. The best thing you can do for it is rest from the physical activity that increases your symptoms. I would recommend that you see an Orthopedist, and not rely on the Motrin so frequently. It is something that you will grow out of, but you can do damage if you are not cautious. Using ice after activities will help with the swelling. Good luck to you!

BostonBecca
05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
That's good advice. You should definately check with the doctor to make sure that is it and stay off your knee as much as you can.

I have experience with a growth plate going wrong in my leg too. I broke one when I was in 8th grade. It required three months in a cast after three days in a wheel chair to stay completely off of it. They are important things. I lost three months of growth at that age and my legs are slightly but noticeably different lengths (only to me). You don't want that. I sometimes trip over the flat sidewalk.

auburnchick
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I think what you are describing is Osgood Slaughter's disease. One of my sons had the same thing when he was 13. That was about 11 years ago. The best thing you can do for it is rest from the physical activity that increases your symptoms. I would recommend that you see an Orthopedist, and not rely on the Motrin so frequently. It is something that you will grow out of, but you can do damage if you are not cautious. Using ice after activities will help with the swelling. Good luck to you!

I was going to give this advice too. My daughter tore her ACL in December while playing soccer. She had the ACL reconstructed in February.

We went to three different orthopedic doctors before we were satisfied with what we were told. We also did our homework about who we took her to see.

She's currently in physical therapy and is taking 800mg of motrin a day because she has tendinitis in her patella as a result of the surgery. It's a lot considering she doesn't weigh much over 100lbs.

I'm not a huge fan of OTC medication, though. I would visit your local health food store and find out what you can use to reduce the inflammation. Make sure you tell the doctor exactly what you are taking.

Oh, and sometimes things don't show up right away on an MRI or CAT scan because of the swelling. If they do these tests too early, the inflammation can get in the way of what they need to see.

I hope it feels better soon! :hug:

mks22300
05-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't have any real advice for you Sarah, just hope you feel better soon! :hug:

carmabelle1191
05-23-2007, 08:23 PM
My mother looked at my knee and it is still swollen. She has decided to take me to an orthopedist and told me not to go to track tomorrow, just to be careful. I guess I'll continue to take the Motrin until I see the orthopedist and he tells me what to do. Thanks for all your advice! I hope it's nothing serious though.

nuknitter
05-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Yup, sounds like what the doc told you it was is Osgood-Schlatter's disease - it's when the tendon pulls on the bone b/c of increased use of the joint, resulting in inflammation. Happens in teenagers b/c they're still growing (simplistic answer, but I think you're a teen, right?). Lots of kids not only get the pain and swelling/heat, they'll actually get a bony protrusion f/the bone getting pulled "outward" by the tendon if they do whatever they're doing long enough. Common in things like tennis/basketball players b/c of the abrupt start/stops they do.

Rest is the primary key here - hate to say it, C. If it doesn't improve in a couple weeks of rest, or worsens with just normal activity (walking around), a visit to the orthopedist is definitely a good option.

Good luck, and take care of it! :thumbsup: If you do, it'll completely resolve.

DQ
05-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Hope you find out what it is and feel better soon :hug:

Lilsea
05-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't keep running until I had cleared it with my doctor. Any number of things could be going on, and it's better to be cautious.

I agree here. I have arthritis in my knees due to an injury that didn't heal properly years ago. Overdoing it will definitely cause more damage.

lauraknits
05-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Yep, it sure sounds like Osgood-Schlatters. I agree, stop running for now and see the orthopedist to be sure.

Kaydee
05-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Yup, I was going to say Osgood Slaughter's too. My brother had it when he was around 13/14 they said it was because he was growing fast. He did have to abstain from sports that required a lot of running because it hurt him so much when he ran (he became a swimmer). Like PSS56 said, you'll eventually grow out of it...just make sure you're careful with physical activities.

carmabelle1191
05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Thank you everyone!:hug: All your posts have been helpful. I do think I have Osgood Slaughter's, since I've grown a good inch or so since September. I have had growing pains since fifth grade, and I think my knee has been hurting since then. I've never really acknowleged it because it never bothered me too much, but running three times a week has really aggravated my knee. My mom has the name of an orthopedist from her friend (who has a daughter who does gymnastics), and we are going to make an appointment. The only thing that I find weird is that my knee is still swollen from running yesterday, even after my normal two Motrin. :?? I didn't run at all today (though it was hard...track was so tempting :pout:). I will keep you posted on what's going on when I find out!
Thanks again!:muah:

auburnchick
05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't think you are taking enough motrin. To keep inflammation like that down, you have take a bit more (but don't do it without asking your mom or doctor first) and more often...twice a day, I believe.

Make sure you ice it for 20 minutes and let it rest w/o ice for 20 minutes. My daughter has had to do this 3x in a row a couple of times a day. It sounds like a lot, but you have to get the inflammation down so that healing can occur.

Good luck at the doctor.

carmabelle1191
05-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I started taking the Motrin twice a day on Monday, but it hasn't seemed to be helping the pain nor the swelling. I will try to ice it though, and hopefully that will help.

auburnchick
05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
As the doctor about upping the dosage. Sounds like it's not enough.

:muah:

debinoz
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM
My DS did long distance in track and had to quit right at about 1.75 miles on one of his 2 mile runs. The coach told him it was just a thing that teen-agers go through and taped him up for the next competition. (He was the only long distancer on the team) He now has to wear an ankle brace just to be able to participate in PE. See a doctor and follow auburnchicks advice....