PDA

View Full Version : Which Wheel do you all think is better?

Leah22b
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm looking to buy my first spinning wheel. There are a few things to keep in mind.

1. I'm a new spinner. I've only spun on a wheel about 5 times in the last 5 years.

2. I'm going to be involved with the SCA (Historical reinactors) where I would like to be able to use my wheel.

3. Do you recomend a single or double Treadle for a beginner?

Now my choices in my price range are:
Ashford Traveler
Ashford Traditional
Louet S10 (would probably not be able to use at the SCA)
Lendrum Single Treadle (Folding)

Thank you for all the help!:hug:

Silver
05-23-2007, 06:09 PM
They're all good wheels, so I'm basing my opinion on looks only. I would suggest the Ashford Traditional because it is such a "traditional" looking wheel so it would work nicely with your reenactments. And I think that type of wheel is prettier all around. But it doesn't travel as easily as the smaller upright wheels.

My wheel is a traditional style (plus it's pretty heavy) and when I have to take it somewhere, it's quite an ordeal. But hubby made a little cart for me to wheel it around so I make do just fine. :)

Anyway, I'm not much help, I know. But good luck on whichever you choose!!

Leah22b
05-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure if one would be better then the others for a beginner. I'm leaning toward the traditional and the traveler, for the looks as well. :woohoo:I can't wait...lol

Leah22b
05-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I made my decission and went with the single treadle, single drive, scotch tension system Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel. It was a better value came with more accessories and can be used in SCA type events as well as historical events.

Thanks again for the help Silver!

Silver
05-24-2007, 10:37 AM
YAY!!! My dad made my wheel (http://www.cometosilver.com/spin/equipment/spinningwheel.jpg), but he fashioned it after that very Ashford Traditional with scotch tension. You'll love it!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!

jeanius80
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
wow silver- your dad did a great job, thats a beautiful wheel!

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I bought my Ashford Traveller from a friend who used it in re-enactments for the historical society. She hid the scotch tension somehow, but felt that the Walnut Finish made it look like it fit the period better? I dunno. I think it's gorgeous though. And I love spinning on it.

Leah22b
05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Wow that is a beautiful wheel Silver! I tried to get my Dad to make me one, but retirement has been just too busy...:roflhard:

I soooooo can't wait to get my wheel... it will take 4+ weeks for shipping :gah::tap::woohoo:

Silver
05-25-2007, 07:21 AM
I soooooo can't wait to get my wheel... it will take 4+ weeks for shipping
4+ weeks? :ick:

Andrea
05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on your wheel, Leah!!!

And Silver, yours is beautiful!! :blooby:

I STILL have not played with my Joy since getting it for Christmas. However, I have a lot more time to do what I want (I just recently got divorced) so I'm looking forward to spinning!! :woot:

Leah22b
05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Yup 4+ weeks... I bought it on Ebay and its being shipped from New Zealand. I could have spent $40.00 more to get it faster, but I'd rather spend the $40.00 on supplies for when it gets here. After I clicked to option I said what am I thinking There is no way I can wait 4+ weeks for my wheel... then I remembered I've waited 2 years to get one I can wait another 4 weeks or so.. :passedout: Yup only 4 more weeks give or take a little for the seller to set up the shipping. :gah::thud::woot:

Oh my Andrea you must Spin.... Pull that Joy out and Celebrate. I know I couldn't wait if I had one in the house... I'd be going crazy...lol I hope everything works out for the best!

boyforpele13
05-26-2007, 03:13 AM
leah, congrats on your wheel purchase! i am thinking you might have got yours from the same NZ seller one ebay i did! and that's the wheel i got too! it is my first wheel and i understand it is many people's first wheel. although i don't have much to compare it to (and don't use it near as much as i would like,) i absolutely LOVE it and i think you will too! i also was looking at the lendrum folding, though, and am strongly considering making that my second wheel, either that or a majacraft, trying to hold out for stitches in october. :)

wishing you the best in your spinning endeavors!!!

Vendie
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
The Traditional is what I learned on. I love it. I have a Kiwi, and I love that too, but that's not about to fit into any time periods other than now :teehee:

Suzi
05-27-2007, 07:10 AM
I got some fiber and a drop spindle, but have not been able to get it to 'work'. I am hoping to get a wheel -if I can find one we can afford- whew, I had no idea they were so expensive :-( . I'm still not getting very far with knitting, but I'm not about to stop trying!
I'm sorry I've been away so long. I've just now returned from Kansas with my oldest daughter, her husband and my brand new granddaughter! :happydancing:

Leah22b
05-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Keep trying suzi. It takes time and practice, but its all worth it in the end!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm so looking forward to my wheel arriving. This last weekend I went to the Ren. fest. in Atlanta, and just inside the gate their were 2 spinners and one was useing the Asheford traditional. I got to see it in action and talk to the spinners for a while until everyone else in my group started pulling me away..lol :roflhard: It was great to see it in action and made me much more sure of my purchase. :woot::woohoo:

mpcmt
05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Boy, I would go with the Traveller. I currently am the proud owner of a previously loved Ashford Traveller and just fell in love with it. I just changed out the treadle board to a double treadle but really, for your reenactment, I believe the single treadle is more authentic (as if anyone knew). It does have some plastic parts showing. You may want to check into the Kromski wheels, upright ones, as they do travel easier than the traditional wheels. I for one don't think you can go wrong with an Ashford though. Happy spinning!

Leah22b
05-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I finally heard back from the seller. It was picked up today and I have a tracking number so I can watch its travel to me...:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::wooh oo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo ::woohoo::woohoo:

yarnfreak
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Now I'm even more excited for you!

Panhandle Jane
06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I also have a previously loved Traveller. I am finding it very easy to learn to spin on it. I'm not SCA, but I wanted a very traditional look. I chose to buy used because I wanted a single treadle and the new Travellers are all double. I like knowing that lots of experience with these wheels is out there on the net if I need help and that parts are readily available.

Leah22b
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Jan that was one of my worries as well. I know with an Ashford I can run to the store and get parts with out too much trouble. Its an hours drive, but thats better then not haveing access to parts and accessaries when they are needed.

Leah22b
06-15-2007, 12:31 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::happydanc e::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance: :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::h appydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::hap pydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happy dance:

Oh I'm sooooooooooooo Happy... My wheel showed up 2 weeks early!

Woohoo :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::w oohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woo hoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Guess what I'm doing this evening!

jeanius80
06-15-2007, 12:55 PM
yay! i fully expect some pics! (secretly soooo jealous! ;) )

Silver
06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
YAY!!! Congrats on the new baby!!! :)

Leah22b
06-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks!
I'll post pic's Probably on Monday. :woot::woot: I'll take pic's as soon as I get it together :woot::woot:, but I don't have computer access until Monday.:gah:

I'd share, but your a little fare away.... Sorry! Hopefully it won't be long and you can get one. I've been working on it for 2 years now.... and Finally got one. :woot::woot:

Leah22b
06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Pictures of my new wheel!

:woohoo:

Silver
06-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Well that's one happy looking wheel. I'm sure you two are going to become fast friends! :)

jeanius80
06-19-2007, 10:04 PM
:inlove: beautiful! probably in another 2 years i will have some space and enough hand spun to convince dh that i need a wheel :)

Leah22b
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Yup I'm already in love! Its soooooooooo much fun and quicker then my drop spindle. I finished my 2nd spool last night so I should be able to Ply it next. This will be my first attempt at plying. Hopefully it will go well.:happydance::happydance: