PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this yarn?!?!?!?!?

knitcindy
05-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Hello to everyone!!

I'm a beginner/advanced beginner in knitting and have a question. My mom buys yarn for me at yard sales and brought me this mohair/acrylic blend yarn in a peach color with some specks of blue and cream in it. There are 15 50gram skeins of it.

She absolutely LOVES it and I would love to make something for her with it. But WHAT??? I had thought of knitting her a poncho - the kind with 2 rectangles sewn together, but she's 70 and not really a poncho "type" of person, I don't think. I have knit many baby blankets, but so far nothing for anybody to wear. I haven't gotten that brave yet.

Any ideas/thoughts on what I can make for her?? Thanks soooo much for ANY help.

knitcindy

knittinggoo
05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
A wrap/shawl might be nice. You should have enough for a sweater. I'm a lazy knitter (hate gauge and blocking) and I made a Picovoli sweater/shell. It was the first garment I made and was quite fun/easy, once I understood what the pattern said. It is a free pattern from grumperina I think. There are postings about Picovoli in the forum. Have fun!

MommyMode
05-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Just off the top of my head I'm thinking of a sweater/cardigan. I know you are an advanced beginner, but there are some really cute patterns out there that are not difficult. I like the sweaters that just hang open and the middles aren't meant to close together. Hope this helps!

Kaydee
05-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I would probably make a shawl...if you look at knitting pattern central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com) there's tons of great shawl patterns.

photogirl12
05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
If I had that yarn, I would either make a shawl or a scarf and hat set.

bellium
05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
i am making http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTtriaran.html for my mom - it's not a difficult pattern, though i haven't gotten to the crochet part yet, and i think it's very beautiful!

aineepooh1
05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
a shawl is nice or maybe a lapghan... so you don't have to make a HUGE afghan..:thumbsup:

knitcindy
05-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I never thought about a triangular shawl!!! That's a GREAT idea!! AND I know how to make a simple garter stitch one!!!

Hopefully, she'll like it too!! I've never seen her wear a shawl, but there's always a first time!!!!!

Thanks again!!
knitcindy