PDA

View Full Version : beach towels?

tarrentella
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I have finnaly decided what i want to make my brother and his partner as wedding gifts!!

It turns out they are going to Jamaica for their honeymoon, so i would love to make them a beach towel each. only thing is the only towel patterns i can find are for teatowels - and i think my brother would like a bit more modesty than that!:lol:

Do you know any beach towel patterns that i could have a go at? or even suggest what type of yarn would be good to use so i can just dive right in and make up as i go along? (can you imagaine settling down for some sea and sand and finding that your towl had shrunk and felted into a nice little floor mat :rofling:)

Thank you in advance

sara_jayne
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
:shock: You are brave!!! Beach towels are a great undertaking, but they will be fabulous!

I would suggest cotton yarn would be the best to choose. Sugar and Creme is a good, inexpensive yarn (since you'll need so much). I believe Lion Brand also has a cotton yarn.

I couldn't find any patterns for a beach towel either, but what you could do is find either a dishtowel pattern or a stitch pattern that you like and just go from there! If you do a small swatch to find stitches per inch you could do the math to figure out how many stitches to cast on and how many rows to knit.

Good luck! We are here if you need any more help!

BioTherapy
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I know from sewing that the best beach towels are 4foot by 6foot... So if you know your stitches per inch you can do anything...

Jan in CA
05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
You're going to KNIT them beach towels? :passedout: I have no experience with anything this large, but you might consider a narrower version of an afghan pattern. Something that large will stretch especially when wet and any holes/eyelets will get larger. Something to keep in mind. Also since they would have to pack them you'd probably want something that isn't too bulky.