PDA

View Full Version : DK yarn verses Worsted wgt.

BJMudd
05-24-2007, 02:39 PM
:heart::hug: Hi everyone, hope all is well with all of you. It's been a long time since I posted or answered any posts, but I have several medical problems which I hope will start making me feel better. I have Arterioartritis, and Spinal Stenois. I have had 4 cortisone shots in my knees, foot etc. and 2 epidural treatments which they put a needle into spinal part of you back plus this last one the Doc. also gave to shots in both of my hips because I was having trouble with my sciatic nerve, which I have to be very careful of as I am a Diabetic. I have not been able to get around very well and I could not sit at the computer for any length of time or my back would hurt. Well, enough of this, hope your weather where every you live is getting warmer and more like spring and summer which won't be too long and it will be here. I have done a lot of research and found that DK yarn is between sports wgt. yarn and worsted wfg. yarn. DK is a number #3 and worsted wgt is #4. Now the pattern I have, calls for DK yarn which I don't have any of and I have 2 big plastic containers of worsted wgt. Now my question is this. If my patterns calls for A Number 4 knitting needle for the DK yarn, would I still use the #4 needle using the worsted wgt. yarn? I realize it will probably come out a little larger, but that's okay,better a little larger then too small. Oh, you might laugh, but I just learned how to make an I-cord for a babies hat. It is real cute. My husband and my son make fun about it. Well, hope to hear from you and again I am glad to be back. God Bless. Love and hugs
Your knitting buddy, Barb.

HamaLee
05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Welcome back! :waving:
You'd want to match the gauge of your project (however many stitches per inch) and adjust your needle size until you hit it. Like if it calls for 5 stitches per inch but you're getting 6, go down a needle size (Have I explained that in the right direction?).

In my experience, a worsted weight yarn on a size 4 needle will make a very stiff and dense fabric. You may or may not like it. Knit up a swatch and go from there...

I'm not sure what pattern you have or what kind of garment you're making...but you can probably do some math to adjust the pattern for a worsted weight yarn (someone smarter than I can help you:teehee:). If it's a blanket or throw or wrap where size doesn't really matter, just go hog-wild and you'll end up with a larger finisheed product.

Goodluck!

suzeeq
05-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, knitting worsted on a size 4 is very dense. If it's a sweater type pattern, you could make it in a smaller size.

sue