PDA

View Full Version : FO mother in laws scarf

nsavage
05-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I recently finished this scarf for my mother in law:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n154/nancysavage/knitting/finishedon052307500pxls.jpg

I used Lion Brand Yarn Homespun 302 Colonial Art.# 790 Color # 3204 Lot # 99302004 and the pattern came on the back of the skein of yarn titled Lion Brand Homespun Two-Hour Knit Scarf. It called for a size 19 needles but the largest size I have is a size 17. According to the pattern it is Beginner level, finished size is approx. 7" X 56", Materials required: 1 skein Homespun color of choice + size 19 knitting needles or size to obtain gauge + Large-eyed blunt needle, Gauge: 7 stitches + 12 rows = 4" (10cm) in garter stitch (knit every row)., Notes: 1. Scarf is knitted with 2 strands of Homespun held together throughout. 2. To work with 2 strands of yarn from the same skein, use one end from the outside of the skein and one from the inside of the skein. Pull them carefully together to keep from tangling., Scarf: With 2 strands of Homespun, make a slip knot- first stitch on the needle. Cast on 11 stitches- total of 12 stitches. Work in garter stitch until there is about 36" of yarn remaining. Loosely bind off all stitches. Weave in ends.

And that is everything that the piece of paper had written on it about the pattern.

Mommy22alyns
05-24-2007, 07:40 PM
What a beautiful color! Nice work! :thumbsup:

DeAnzaJig
05-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Great job! That pattern was my first FO when I learned to knit, and I remember it fondly. I did mine in red. :lol:

Cat Loving Knitter
05-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I did one of those! The exact same color too! Except I thought it said to cast on 19 stitches. Anyway, it looks great!

kblue
05-24-2007, 10:18 PM
It look so soft. You did a great job!

auburnchick
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
:inlove::inlove::inlove:

That looks so soft and yummy! How nice of you...what a great dil!!!

nsavage
05-25-2007, 02:12 AM
I did some other ones but they were last Christmas for my nephews using Mainstays yarn. One was Autumn Red and the other was True Navy (that way I never have to hear "Aunt Nancy, he took my scarf" with "But I thought it was mine, HONEST"). I did some scarves my two daughters in 2004 or 2005 but I can't remember the yarn I used and they can't seem to find anything in their room so I won't be able to post anything about those two for a while yet. I am working toward finishing a poncho for myself using Yarn Bee Soft Delight in black. And nowhere near finished on a blanket for my dad using Mainstays yarn in True Navy and Country Blue with a divided box stitch throughout. Also using the Autumn Red in 2005 I made my younger sister a duffle style purse, and using Quick-n Easy Chunky with Aloe in a Heather Blue I did a boxie style purse with a closing flap for my older sister who passed away just before I finished it in which case I asked my mother if she would like to carry it (she said she would be honored to use it). This weekend my children are going to get them to take pictures of those gifts so that I can post them along with the details that went into them.

sara_jayne
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
That color is beautiful! Great job on the scarf!

melissa.atkins
05-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I really like the color... I have tried using homespun and just cant, for some reason it falls apart on my hands... :S

nsavage
05-30-2007, 01:55 AM
I really like the color... I have tried using homespun and just cant, for some reason it falls apart on my hands... :S
My mother in law tried using the same yarn on the size 19 needles and just couldn't make the yarn cooperate but she is also always complaining that she can't find one of her thousands of pairs of glasses so I think her problem was more or less one of not being able to see everything properly. I did that scarf above while watching tv... it just sort of flowed together. I noticed that if I concentrate too much on my projects then that is when I have the most problems, but if I just let them happen then for the most part it is smooth sailing.

nonny2t
05-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Lovely, I am sure she will love it!