PDA

View Full Version : Please help beginning knitter

professortyke
05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Hello everybody!
Wonderful site!
I'm brand new to knitting and this has helped so much. I am knitting a practice scarf, using sections of garter stitch and small sections of ribbing (k1p1). My question is: why does the yarn pull in at the ribbing sections? It doesn't happen immediately when I switch to ribbing, more like after I switch back to garter stitch I notice that the sections of ribbing kind of develop an hourglass shape. Does that make sense? Can anyone explain why this is happening? Am I doing something wrong? I'm knitting the knit stitches and purling the purl ones--except on the first row, of course, after I switch from garter st, when they're all knit stitches.

Thanks for your help!

Knitting_Guy
05-24-2007, 08:00 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, that's perfectly normal. That's what ribbing is supposed to do. It creates a more stretchy kind of fabric (think sock tops) that pulls itself in but can stretch out as needed.

Ingrid
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Different stitch patterns create different effects. This is why the bottom of sweaters, cuffs, or the tops of socks as Mason said, are ribbed.