PDA

View Full Version : converting crochet to knit

1knittychick
05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
I bought a pattern book for purses in crochet by mistake. Hancock's is going out of business and won't take it back. (I do have plans on learning how to crochet later on.) Is there a website that can convert patterns from crochet to knitting?

krazy4kats
05-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't know a website that will specifically convert, but here's some guidelines if you want to tackle it yourself:

Knit a gauge sample, then substitute knit st for crochet ones as below. Change the size of needles, if necessary, to get the gauge you need for the pattern.

Mark your substitute st on the pattern so you'll know what to put where.

Cast on in place of the beginning crochet chain stitch. You will need to use your gauge to get the correct number of stitches.

Conversions of st:
-Convert one row of single crochet to one row of knit and one row of purl (k1, p1); or two rows of knit; or two rows of garter stitch.
-Substitute three rows of knitting (or knit one row, purl one row, then knit one row - k1, p1, k1) for one row of half-double crochet.
-Knit a row of each (k1, p1, k1, p1) for a total of four rows to replace one row of double crochet.
-Change one row of treble crochet into six rows of stockinette (or knit one row, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row - k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1).
-Your choice for increases/decreases, depending on where they are in the pattern (you may want something that leans left or whatever).

Check your gauge every so often to make sure you are still within the pattern in that respect.