PDA

View Full Version : My hands hurt~

aineepooh1
05-26-2007, 03:37 PM
my hands have been hurting for the last 2 days. I have been crocheting and knitting all week ( with breaks in between) . I am trying to finish a baby blanket for a coworker and i can't seem to finish b/c my hands are sore from working on it so long... I have been doing the Virginia Tech sqares ( that are super fast and easy:cheering:) to mix it up but my hands HURT. I got my creative knitting mag yesterday and threre was an article about 'when knitting hurts'.. i read it and did the exercises but I just want to finish the blankie( that I said would be done next week).. but my hands are tingling.. which I KNOW is not a good thing..:ick:

threesmom
05-26-2007, 04:29 PM
:hug::hug: Ouch! I feel for you - I get a wierd cyst in my wrist that acts up from time to time. Do you think it would help if you knit the other way from what you normally do? Like continential if you throw? Or how about just shortening the legnth of the blanket? Make it stroller size instead of crib? Sometimes warm or cold - depending what feels better - cold if it looks swollen to you - compresses help me too. Or ... dare I say it .... you might have to rest it :-(. If you do, (and you probably should) your co-worker should understand - the health of your hand long-term is more important than getting the blanket done super-fast. (And the baby will never know!)
I hope it feels better soon! :hug::hug:

Weebie
05-26-2007, 04:42 PM
:hug:

That's the worst! When you want to finish something so badly and your hands are saying: Take a break!!!!xxx I hope you finish your blanket ASAP. And then give those hands a rest!

-Karin

Nobones
05-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Maybe you could get a mild support for your hand to use while knitting? That helps me. Hope your able to continue knitting soon pain free.

Jan in CA
05-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I get a wierd cyst in my wrist that acts up from time to time.

It sounds like what you have is a ganglion cyst. My daughter gets those from time to time, too.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Ganglions-Topic-Overview

My hands have been hurting lately, too. I think in my case it might be too much computer use, but it rolls over into the knitting. :x

nuknitter
05-26-2007, 05:38 PM
my hands have been hurting for the last 2 days. I have been crocheting and kUh nitting all week ( with breaks in between) . I am trying to finish a baby blanket for a coworker and i can't seem to finish b/c my hands are sore from working on it so long... I have been doing the Virginia Tech sqares ( that are super fast and easy:cheering:) to mix it up but my hands HURT. I got my creative knitting mag yesterday and threre was an article about 'when knitting hurts'.. i read it and did the exercises but I just want to finish the blankie( that I said would be done next week).. but my hands are tingling.. which I KNOW is not a good thing..:ick:

Uh-oh, sounds like Nikki Wrist Syndrome has struck again :???:

Oops, I mean sounds like Carpal Tunnel attacks again. Aineepooh, the only real cure is rest, but you can manage with exercises (look online for stretches - the ones by yoga folks are particularly good), rest, frequent breaks from any repetitive motions, rest, wrist support (Warm-eze are supposed to be good), and oh yes, did I mention rest??

Rest = take complete break from knitting at least for a day (*gasp!*), or even better a week or two (I think I heard a thud over there). Take care of your wrists, and they will take care of you!! I feel like I need to do a class just on this...

Any questions, fire away!

auburnchick
05-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Maybe you could go to a nail spa and get a manicure. Part of the service is a hand massage. Explain that you need them to do a real good job because you've been knitting all week. Oh, and go for the paraffin manicure. They'll put your hands in warm gloves. You'll feel so much better afterward!

Carla1019
05-26-2007, 07:21 PM
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100071&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod4526

The link above maybe will help with the short term of the pain so you can work through it. I love those things. great for any part that is hurting.

They are a small patch, a little smaller then a credit card. they stick to you, it is like rubbing Ben-gay on you,, but this last for about 12 hours.

I hope your hand get better.

{aineepooh1} Going to River fest tomorrow (Sunday) with my DD and her friend. We are going to concert of the ??gym?? and the Red jumpsuit?? I will set and knit.. :happydance:

suzeeq
05-26-2007, 08:15 PM
A hand massage may not do it; hands and wrists hurt because of overtight, overworked arm muscles. Try a chair massage, that will take care of the neck and shoulders (stiff from sitting and knitting so long) as well as the arms. And take breaks, shake out and stretch your arms.