PDA

View Full Version : OT Pirates of the Caribbean With Spoilers!

PCwombat
05-26-2007, 11:47 PM
So, here's a thread where we can talk about the movie and not worry about spoilers. (So, if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to know, don't read! :teehee: )

First...omg I loved it! I think it might be my fave of the three, definitely more than Pirates 2. There were just soo many good funny moments. And the special effects were just amazing! And the fight scenes!

My favorite bit might have to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsCswiw1Iw "That makes you...chartman!"

I am sad that Will died, but, I have to admit that as soon as he was stabbed, I was thinking he would make an incredibly hot Captain of the Flying Dutchman. (Mmmm...:inlove:) Also, it so leaves it open for a fourth movie. And, I heard from someone there might be.

Ok, to wrap it up, fave parts: every scene with the monkey Jack, the crew comprised of Jack Sparrows (:inlove::inlove::inlove:), the two pirates Pintel and Ragetti (loved the bit with his wooden eye), and the reason for why the nine pieces of eight are named that.

amccaffery
05-27-2007, 02:21 AM
We just saw it today! I really liked it, too, but I still like the first one the best. I got more than a little confused and lost during both this one and the second one. And, I really don't remember, why are the nine pieces of 8 named that? Oh, my favorite scenes were any and all of the ones with multiple Johnny Depps :)

DreamWeaver
05-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Did you stick out at the end of the credits. There was a special ending at the very very very end ^_^

But, anyway, I loved it! Sometimes the plot was a bit hard to follow, and the begining was incredibly depressing, but I still loved it. My favorite part was when Will and Elizabeth were getting married. It was the most funny and romantic thing I have ever seen :heart: I'm going to see it again on Thursday and I'm so exited!!! The plot will make a lot more sense :teehee:

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 04:18 AM
The wheeling and dealing that went on made it hard to follow who was "in bed" with who...

And LOVED that special scene at the end of the credits...

AmandaC
05-27-2007, 04:20 AM
I need to see it again - too much to take in first time round .... but I loved the bit near the beginning when the little pirate crawled up with his gun - shot it - and flew back!!!! :teehee:

and I saw a bit on the making of the film ... the icy cold bit ... the monkey was sat in a little vibrating barrel to make him look like he was shivering .... how cute!!!! :heart:

AmandaC
05-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Oh - and the bit with the telescopes .... :teehee:

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 04:30 AM
LOL Amanda!!! There were so many crack up bits in that movie.. that yes.. a second bout is definitely on the cards!

I loved the multiple Jacks.. hehehehe

hydeemarie
05-27-2007, 09:09 AM
ok so I def liked the wedding scene and the scene where the short guy shot the gun and flew back... EVERYONE in our theatre was laughing! Ok but I still dont get the signifigance of the 9 pieces of 8... someone please explain?

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Well, they weren't pieces of eight (an old Spanish currency). They were (as said in the movie) Nine pieces of "whatever old thing we had in our pocket"... hehe :D

The actual pieces of eight (the silver coin things) were more symbolic for the pirates, or at least made the East India TC think they were collecting the things that the Pirates were trying to gather in one place.

I got very sad when they showed that Elizabeth's father was killed... He was sweet.. misguided, but sweet....

hydeemarie
05-27-2007, 09:36 AM
gotcha

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I loved it. I missed the last scene after the credits, but PCWombat was kind enough to tell me what happened. I think that Will Turner will show up and then a whole lot of stuff will happen.

I did love the entire scene with the multiple Johnny Depp's as the crew. I loved the stone crabs. They were so cute and helpful.

For the next movie (if they do one) I think that Will Turner comes back to see his wife and son and Johnny Depp shows up and they have 1 day to try and find the Fountain of Youth which Johnny Depp has been searching for for ten years and the Fountain of Youth will either make it possible for Will Turner to turn over the Flying Dutchman to his father and come back to life, or for Elizabeth to stay young as Will is.

amccaffery
05-27-2007, 12:14 PM
we actually saw the scene at the end of the credits first because we were early for the next showing - it didn't really ruin anything for us, especially since they don't really expect everyone to stick around (Those are some LONG credits.)
Reading through these, I'm going, "Oh, yeah, now I remember!" Pretty much as soon as we walked out, so much of the movie was a blur. It definitely needs multiple viewings, but I think I'll wait for the DVD.
I can't WAIT for Johnny Depp's next project, "Sweeney Todd." This is one of my favorite musicals of all time, plus one of my favorite actors...I'll be there opening day for that one!

DreamWeaver
05-27-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't think they're going to make a 4th one. In the special features of P2 they said it was going to be a trilogy

I don't remember where I heard this, but I think someone told me that when will comes back at the very very very end, he's coming back for good. There used to be a scene when human Calypso was explaining that if the person who had the heart of the captain was faithful for the first ten years, the curse would be broken. Or something like that :teehee:

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
They certainly leave it open for a fourth, although I've read that Orlando won't do another one, and the script would have to be exceptional for Johnny to do another one.

And unfortunately if that scene with Calypso wasn't in the movie, they certainly imply that he's the captain of the Dutchman for ever... :(

DreamWeaver
05-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I think we were supposed to think that he was back for good because there was a flash of green light, and that meant that a soul was back from the dead or whatever. Personally, I don't really get it :teehee:

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Hmm... will have to get DH to see if he can find something out (he's brilliant at web searches) :D

beckyrhae
05-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I wish I had stuck around now... didnt know about the scene at the end... what happened??? If you dont want to post it here, PM me please!

brendajos
05-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Well since this is the spoilers thread i think it is safe to post it here.

It was 10 years later when Will Turner was coming back for his one day ashore and Elizabeth was coming to meet him with a little boy.

As far as a 4th movie... http://tinyurl.com/yqyrte :shrug:

beckyrhae
05-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Yay! Now I must go see it again... and again!

PaperGirl
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I forgot to stay past the credits!

I told my friend to run out in the lobby and yell..."OMG they killed Will!"

There wasnt anyone in the lobby....but the dodo did it anyway.

PaperGirl
05-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Well since this is the spoilers thread i think it is safe to post it here.

It was 10 years later when Will Turner was coming back for his one day ashore and Elizabeth was coming to meet him with a little boy.

As far as a 4th movie... http://tinyurl.com/yqyrte :shrug:

OHHHHHHHHHHHH! I knew I should have stayed! Thats what I told Todd was gonna happen when we were waiting outside for his wife! :hair:

Wahlee
05-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, when Will comes back at the end, it's forever. The curse is broken.

Here's what Terry Rossio said on wordplayer.com, which is Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio's website:

But to clarify one point: Davy Jones, as Captain of the Flying Dutchman, is cursed to set foot on land only once every ten years ... unless he finds a love that is true to him. Hopefully that rule will be made more clear in the third film.

If the person Jones had been in love with had been true, and waited for him, and stayed in love with him for ten years, upon his return to land his curse would have been lifted. That's a big part of the reason why Jones is so bitter and cruel. He had a chance to lead a normal life ... but his lover was fickle.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, since most the arguing is over rules that are incorrect to the film.

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc08/index.cgi?read=98135
There's another post where he laments that the lines explaining this were (once again) cut out of the movie, but it hasn't been archived yet, and is currently unaccessible as the board takes a holiday.

knitwit88
05-27-2007, 10:00 PM
But Will didn't die!

PCwombat
05-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I read about the writers posting that. IMO, I really don't like that idea. It just seems too happy. I liked the idea that Will and Elizabeth's relationship was strong enough to last with only one day every ten years. Now, if that was the case, but, you didn't know whether or not Elizabeth waited, then, maybe it would be ok because it still had that mystery. But, she did, and if it were true, too sappy for me. So, because it's not specifically stated in the film, unless a fourth movie comes out to prove it to be true, I'm not gonna go with it. I'm just hoping that the director or whoever decided not to include it because it leads the way to a fourth movie with Elizabeth and Jack looking for the fountain of youth. As for the green flash, I just took it to mean that anyone came back from the Locker, whether they were dead or alive.

And, lol, PaperGirl, when we left after the movie, there was a huge line and I saw so tempted to yell out that Will dies. But, I was nice. :)

misstialouise
05-28-2007, 01:38 AM
But the Flying Dutchman must have a Captain... so who is it if not Will?

DreamWeaver
05-28-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't really understand it, but I'm a sucker for happy endings, so I go along with it ^_^

AmandaC
05-28-2007, 10:03 AM
what I didn't understand was ...if he can only set foot on land 1 day in 10 years ... why did they not meet up at sea more regularly???

PCwombat
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
AmandaC, my thought to that is that ferrying the dead is a full time job, so he can't leave the Locker. If he were to go back to the normal world, he'd become all fishy. And, even if it the fish-ifying process was pretty slow, he probably wouldn't want to tempt it.

BostonBecca
05-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I think that Will's father would become the captain for him so he could go back to Elizabeth.

lostchyld
05-28-2007, 12:57 PM
There were two scenes that stood out in my mind. First was the beginning of the movie when the boy starts singing and everyone else pick it up. The second was Beckett's death. Very artistic and pretty.

I kind of want to complain about the rest of the movie, but that would make it sound as if I didn't like it when I did. It simply wasn't what I'd hoped for.

-Caet

misstialouise
05-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Okay, if Will's father became the captain, and Will had come back from the dead.. why did he still have the scar?

PaperGirl
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
what I didn't understand was ...if he can only set foot on land 1 day in 10 years ... why did they not meet up at sea more regularly???

Wasnt the dead ferrying done in the area where they had to do that flip upside down into the water? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

misstialouise
05-29-2007, 03:11 AM
You're right.

But as was said previously, Davey Jones went fishy because he didn't stay 'down there'.....