PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Yarn

wewantmore
05-27-2007, 11:55 AM
So this is my first swap. I've never had yarn shipped to me nor I have I shipped yarn.

What is the best way to go about this? Do I wrap each skein in tissue paper? Just put it in a box (though I would want it to look a little 'fancier' than just in the box.)

Michelle

cathoo
05-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I would say package it however you would want to receive it yourself. Wrapped in tissue paper sounds cool. I would check out the last yarn swap thread for pictures and ideas.

Be sure to get a tracking number though!

Susan P.
05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
This is really quite off-topic to the question but the mention of tissue paper brought the memory back and it's one of those household issue things worth passing on. Many years ago I moved into a house. It was brand new and had very nice linoleum type floors with a waxed shiny surface in the kitchen area. I was given a plant; the base of which was wrapped in red tissue paper. I put it down on the floor and left it for a few days. When I lifted it up much to my horror the dye from the coloured tissue had transferred into the flooring and nothing I could do would remove it. I am not sure whether the surfacing on the flooring had not been done properly or whether it was simply a matter of the flooring being porous enough to absorb the dye but it left a large coloured mark. Obviously this happened because damp from the plant had seeped through and 'dry use' would not lead to this but always worth knowing this can happen!

Susan P.
05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
For your packaging..how about shredding some coloured paper and putting the balls in a 'nest' of that and on each ball attaching a little rosette or similar? Craft stores often have packs of useful rosettes and they're not expensive and have many uses. Or use strips of ribbon to make your own rosettes? Or, use strips of ribbon (colour to match/vary the yarn) to wrap around the yarn in a pattern?

Braden
05-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I would place a layer of paper, the yarn, and another layer or paper, and then ship it. That's how I did it.

redwitch
05-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I think the most important thng to remember is that some packages might get rained on, depending on the postage service. E.g. they might be left beside a door, so I would put the wool inside a plastic bag of some king so that the wool would be fine even if the box were submerged under water.
Sarah

wewantmore
05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
I do like the baggie idea since I do have to ship overseas. :teehee: hint hint.

I just remember reading on here that someone got a shipment of yarn from an online store and was appalled at how it was 'wrapped'. I just wanted to make sure that I did it 'right'.

Michelle

Ps, I do like the rosette idea. I will try my best to make it look purdy upon opening, but with such a long travel we'll see. :wink:

snowbear
05-28-2007, 12:22 AM
I would line the box with plastic, then inside. you could do many different things. We had them in chinese take out containers, individual little sacks.. wrapped in tissue, inside decorative boxes.. the list goes on and on.

Whatever you do.. keep in mind the receipitant. Like if she love pink.. pick out pink paper.. etc.

My swapper decorated the outside of the box with stickers. Just have fun with it.

VickyS456
05-28-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm a bit of a maniac when it comes to shipping. I always use a box and the bottom layer is packing peanuts, then tissue paper, then a layer of yarn skeins, then if there are other goodies I put those in the middle, another layer of yarn skeins, another layer of packing peanuts on top (and on the sides of the box too), then my letter on top.

After all that (yes, there is more) I seal the box with packing tape, making sure to get all corners and then fix the label to the box.

After that (yep, still going!) I use another layer of packing tape over the entire box so it's pretty much rain-proofed AND it makes the person getting it really anxious as to what is in the box :tap: :roflhard:

wewantmore
05-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Vicky you are funny. I'm a tape freak too. I love to tape up boxes nice and tight.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll keep them in mind.

Michelle

VickyS456
05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Vicky you are funny. I'm a tape freak too. I love to tape up boxes nice and tight.
http://endlessspirit.net/community/emotes/highfive.gif I swear it's a sickness!