PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I stop making these??? - NEW PICS!

nuknitter
05-27-2007, 12:19 PM
aka - It's Bad When One Craft Enables Another. :chair:

I started beading before knitting seriously, and and now I've come full circle. What will I start making jewelry for next?? :thinking:

Below are just 3 out of many stitchmarker sets I've made (I've now lost count - not a good thing.) You can see a few more examples at my Flickr page:

http://flickr.com/photos/83759240@N00/sets/72157600272012117/

*note to self: must ... stop ... making ... these - taking ... up ... knitting ... time*

baronreads
05-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Do you sell these? They're BEAUTIFUL!!

Green Eyed Knitter
05-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm a beader too, and they're addicting, aren't they? :rofling: I have about 30 or 40 sets now and I only knit one or two projects at a time. :rollseyes: For me, it's the immediate gratification - I can whip up a set of stitch markers pretty quickly whereas a knitting project takes me forever. And now I can match my stitch markers to every color, style, and size of project.

It's a sickness really... :teehee:

Gail

snowbear
05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
WOW

Those are awesome! You are truly tallented. If I tried I'd end up pinching my fingers or something. You ought to sell those! You could list them in the Buy/Swap/Sell section!

:inlove:

Jan in CA
05-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Those are beautiful!

(I've been wanting to try them, but I'm not sure where to get the half-toggles since I prefer that type.):teehee:

mks22300
05-27-2007, 12:58 PM
They are addicting aren't they? I have a bunch that I've made too. :teehee:
Yours are beautiful!

nuknitter
05-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Y'all are all too sweet! Thanks for the props - sometimes you make something, and just don't have that objective eye ("really, is that good??" :shrug:). I didn't think about selling them, but you know what? It could help finance my yarn addiction :roflhard: .

Jan, et al - I'm not sure I want to enable somebody else, but they are super easy to make. I like the toggles best - non-snag (very picky 'bout that), I get a package of them and just use the ring part. No clue on what to do w/the bars - altho' I think I saw someone suggest using them for row markers (hunh?). I've gotten the toggle packages f/AC Moore, Michael's, and Walmart. AC Moore has silver- and gold-plated ones. Online you can find a slew of vendors. And looking around, there's literally at least 10 different ways to make the part that goes on the needles.

I'm a beader too, and they're addicting, aren't they? :rofling: I have about 30 or 40 sets now and I only knit one or two projects at a time. :rollseyes: For me, it's the immediate gratification - I can whip up a set of stitch markers pretty quickly whereas a knitting project takes me forever. And now I can match my stitch markers to every color, style, and size of project.

It's a sickness really... :teehee:

Gail

Wow! Glad to see I'm not the only addict here! I couldn't help but laugh when I read that you match your stitchmarkers to your project, but then I went :thinking: hmmm .... Lordee :pray:, "my name is Jude, and I'm an addict" ....

Jan in CA
05-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks, I'll check the Michaels near me first. ;-)

1knittychick
05-27-2007, 02:43 PM
cool!:thumbsup:

Braden
05-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, if you want to sell them, you could get a ton of customers in the 'Buy/Sell/Swap' Forum. I would buy them.

Nobones
05-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey, if you want to sell them, you could get a ton of customers in the 'Buy/Sell/Swap' Forum. I would buy them.

Me too, they are gorgeous, I'd buy them I don't have any pretty stitch markers, I've only got bits of yarn or those plastic split rings.

Olive Oil
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
LOVE the stitch markers. You could certainly sell them. I also make them but after seeing yours, I want to buy yours. :roflhard: Now you tell me, WHO is the crazier addict ????????????? :roflhard:

VickyS456
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh how pretty! I make my own too. I love that it's so easy to make such pretty things in a very short amount of time. It's like instant gratification :D

yarnfreak
05-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Those are really pretty. I tried to make my own once. We don't talk about that around here. lol Yours are niiiiice.

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I love making stitchmarkers! :D I even sell them at my SnB group :D I use Tigers Tail and a Cabbot for the loop, and it sails with the work really nicely... I'll have to post a pic of the ones I sold last week.. My best to date, I think :D The loop is big enough to go around a size 17 (12mm) needle, but even on a size 7 needle they don't stick out.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/250/516713859_1b60147932_m.jpg

mks22300
05-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Ooo, those are pretty MissTiaLouise!

misstialouise
05-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Thank you very much.. They were made special order for a friend doing a secret swap :D

ecb
05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
yours are quite pretty
I love making mine, and I also sell mine at knitting group, i even take special orders from people
I love making them for someone special (like our own Knitting Guy)
I have considered selling some on E-bay, but I never get any reasonable prices on there with all the bargain hunters

they are SOOO much fun to make
and I try hard not to make the same set twice

ecb

Stitch
05-28-2007, 09:52 AM
those are *exactly* how i make my stitch markers!!

beautiful!

ironmaiden
05-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Jan, et al - I'm not sure I want to enable somebody else, but they are super easy to make. I like the toggles best - non-snag (very picky 'bout that), I get a package of them and just use the ring part. No clue on what to do w/the bars - altho' I think I saw someone suggest using them for row markers (hunh?). I've gotten the toggle packages f/AC Moore, Michael's, and Walmart. AC Moore has silver- and gold-plated ones. Online you can find a slew of vendors. And looking around, there's literally at least 10 different ways to make the part that goes on the needles.

I was wondering if you made the rings as well - this gives me hope that I could make my own lol.

In fact, I think I have some copper toggles around here somewhere... hmm...

marykz
05-28-2007, 04:56 PM
This is such a well timed thread- I just came home from Michael's with $20 worth of pretty pretty beads to make stitchmarkers..... great minds think alike? (I'm still practicing getting the wire/ head pins to do what I want so they are NOT ready for prime time.)

I love seeing everyone's ideas and interpretations.

nuknitter
05-29-2007, 07:13 PM
LOVE the stitch markers. You could certainly sell them. I also make them but after seeing yours, I want to buy yours. :roflhard: Now you tell me, WHO is the crazier addict ????????????? :roflhard:

:roflhard: You may just have trumped me, OO!! :roflhard: Altho' ... those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - just watch, that'll be me posting pics of ones I've bought in the near future.

marykz - welcome to Stitchmarkers Anonymous. :oops: You too, like us, will soon approach S.M.A.B.L.E.* (thanks to ArtLady, for my riff on S.A.B.L.E.)

I'm very thankful for the good feedback, and a little overwhelmed with the suggestions of selling them - it's actually a good thought to support my other, ahem, ... habits. I'm mulling it over, but if I did it, it would be in a little while as I'm moving AND starting a new job in TWO WEEKS! (AAARGHH! wish me luck) I will definitely let y'all know if/when I do.

In the meantime, the long weekend was dangerous - here's a taste of some new ones; some more are at my Flickr page:

http://flickr.com/photos/83759240@N00/sets/72157600272012117/

Again, thank you everyone for the great props! I love this community!! :heart:

*S.M.A.B.L.E. = Stitch Marker Acquistion Beyond Life Expectancy.

misstialouise
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Nuknitter... I've sold about 3 sets (out of 5) on Ebay.. they do sell :D I will be doing more in the future.. but there are just too many crafts I'm into ... LOL