PDA

View Full Version : OT - My new furbaby!

knit-errant
05-27-2007, 04:34 PM
My daughter used to keep gerbils, but they passed away from old age a few months ago. Ever since then, she's been asking to get another rodent.

Yesterday, we picked up a rat! She was a rescue -- I guess the workers found her in a storeroom, but she was so tame they're pretty sure she was a pet that was never officially surrendered.

Dove is a variegated dumbo rat -- look at the big ears! They're a bit bigger than regular rat ears, and cute! She's spotted with a very soft grey color, and black eyes; really, I think she's one of the prettiest rats I've seen.

I've put up some more pictures on my blog (http://knit-errant.blogspot.com).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/516627839_2740c7f390.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/leigh_m/516627839/)

Eloewien
05-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Rats make the most wonderful pets!! I kept 'em for nearly 20 years... it just got too hard to lose them every 3 years or so. She is adorable!!

blueeyes28
05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow that is a cute rat and I have never thought rats were cute!!

knit-errant
05-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks, guys! :)

They really do! I used to keep rats when I was in high school -- 11 years ago, now. I've missed having them, but my husband thought they were "kinda creepy." He likes this one, though -- I caught him in my daughter's room last night, playing with the ratty. When I walked in, she was sniffing in his ear and he looks at me with this deer-in-headlights look and insists he was just seeing if she had enough water. Yeah, riiight. :rofl:

Doodknitwit
05-27-2007, 06:21 PM
she looks sweet!!
congrats!!!

Chel
05-27-2007, 06:53 PM
I absolutely LOVED my rat Natasha. They make the best pets. I definitely will be getting another when I have a house of my own.

:) What a pretty baby!!! I am sure she will be loved and cuddled lots!!! (mostly by hubby) :teehee:

carmabelle1191
05-28-2007, 10:12 AM
He actually looks kind of cute! I've never seen a cute rat before.:teehee:

HamburgKnitter
05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
She's really cute! :heart: When I was in college I had a pet rat that went almost everywhere with me. I miss having rats.

XbelovedXoneX
05-28-2007, 12:57 PM
She is adorable! I've had several rats, but since I had to put my last one to sleep recently I decided to not get anymore. I can't handle their short life spans, but huge personalities. I love dumbos, that's all I ever had. :)

samm
05-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Ratties are the best ever pets! I had one at school for the children and he was so sweet. They like to be awake, which other small pets often don't. They need to play and be handled and they love just to be with people. Ours was named Cagney. :lol: I'd have another in a heartbeat, but our cats would bother it. Dove is very pretty! Don't you love the little feets they have!? samm

Mariblue
05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Awww, she is adorable! I had pet mice when growing up, and my sister had a rat. It's amazing how much personality they have, isn't it? Such a fun pet.

Greys4me
05-28-2007, 06:56 PM
She's precious...we had a rat, Mr. Giles, who lived for five years. He was such a cool pet but I've never replaced him b/c I know another one wouldn't have his wonderful personality.

marykz
05-28-2007, 08:35 PM
she looks Very intelligent! congrats!! So, will you guys be early in line for the new animated movie Ratatouille about a rat who wants to be a French Chef? (I think it is a Pixar?)

mwedzi
05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
That is indeed a very handsome rat. I've never had rats, but have heard they are great pets. Love your hubby story.

AnnaT
05-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Knit-Errant, that's a beautiful animal! Hope everyone is happy together, and from the photo it sure looks like it. :heart: Any thoughts on a name?

BTW, I love your screen name!

Rats make the most wonderful pets!! I kept 'em for nearly 20 years... it just got too hard to lose them every 3 years or so. She is adorable!!

This is why I hesitate to get another hamster. They only live up to 2 years, less than mice or gerbils. :( It gets exhausting.