PDA

View Full Version : Favorite thing about knitting

Chel
05-27-2007, 10:41 PM
My favorite thing about knitting besides the sense of peace and relaxation it brings me, is the look of stitches. :heart: Beautiful orderly stitches in neat little rows, all perfectly aligned yet with color running amok throughout. For some reason, I find that so asthetically pleasing.:shifty:

See what I mean?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/wanderlustdream/dtheel.jpg

Braden
05-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Knitting is bliss, isn't it? My favorite thing about knitting is the things you can do with it, from very simple, plain patterns to extremely intricate patterns, and you can knit anything you want to, with all the techniques out there. BTW- your knitting looks great.

downthestream
05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
My favorite thing about knitting is seeing a finished product that was made from one long strand of yarn. It feels so satisfying to create something that the yarn just wants to be!

Doublereeder2
05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Chel - you said it so eloquently. My (oboe) teacher used to say how something should sound totally spontaneous as the result of meticulous preparation. I think the orderliness of the stitches and the chaos of the colors fit right into that thought.

I agree with you two - Contiknitter and downthestream!

I personally love the gentle rhythm of knitting and seeing a beautiful texture emerge..... Sheer heaven!

Yikes - are we really this sappy or what??? :-)

Braden
05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah, we're sappy.

snowbear
05-28-2007, 12:12 AM
There's also nothing more satisifying than seeing your knitting being used by loved ones.. It makes me warm inside when I see my grandchildren w/ their blankets.. or toys.. or all the other things I've knitted for others & seeing them use them. Just by taking 2 sticks and some thread we create gifts of love...

ok... i'm really sappy. sorry about that...

Chel
05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Pfft. :rollseyes: Saps.

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: Sorry-couldn't resist!!!

AnnaT
05-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Chel, I also like the look of stitches. Peaceful is the right word.

I like looking at/picking out yarn and imagining what it could be. I used to paint and I had the same feeling when I picked out tubes of color. I haven't touched a paintbrush in years (life intruded :rollseyes: ) and I missed that feeling.

Doublereeder2, I also like watching the stitch pattern emerge. I am a new knitter and it's still like magic!

Debbie
05-28-2007, 07:10 AM
First of all ... I have to say ... I was going to just say ... I like to knit, I like to teach knitting , I like the stuff .... somehow it became REALLY SAPPY :roflhard:

I love the process - which is never the same, but always the same
I love the tools and accessories - from yarn and patterns to stitch markers and everything in between
I love the colors and textures - of the paraphernalia and the finished product
I love the knitting community - KH , friends who knit, my knitting guild
I love to share - finishied products, explaining a tecqunique, teaching a beginner
I love that unfinished projects or huge mistakes can quickly become a brand new ball of yarn ready to begin the process again, without a hint of what it didn't become

baronreads
05-28-2007, 08:07 AM
My favorite thing about knitting besides the sense of peace and relaxation it brings me, is the look of stitches. :heart: Beautiful orderly stitches in neat little rows, all perfectly aligned yet with color running amok throughout. For some reason, I find that so asthetically pleasing.:shifty:

See what I mean?
I totally agree! I'm making a square for a blanket and am trying a new stitch pattern and I find myself just sitting there admiring it! I just love the way it looks! It is SO COOL!

zkimom
05-28-2007, 08:24 AM
For me it's all about the colors and textures of the yarns. It's about the drape of a fabric or the transformation of a knitted piece into a felted one. It's about the patterns and shapes that appear as I am knitting.

I have a background in textile design and have always been a color addict.

There is a character in a favorite book of mine, Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin called Pearly Soames. Pearly is a thief who is obsessed with color. He's so obsessed with color that on his way to a gang war with his army of thieves all ready for a huge fight, he stops to watch some house painters putting a fresh coat of paint on a doorway so that he can watch the way the the paint looks when it is wet.

He steals paintings so he can experience their color and returns the ones that aren't colorful enough. His gang of ruffians and thieves refer to his obsession as "color gravity."

I think of Pearly every time I enter a yarn store. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed by the colors of a yarn that I have to have it:inlove:
Yarn is the way I indulge my own "color gravity." And the best thing about yarn is that it has the extra added perk of feeling just oh so nice.

Ok, Chel. You got me started. I'm stopping now and going off to fondle my stash.:drool:

Best,
Susan

DeAnzaJig
05-28-2007, 08:52 AM
I really enjoy the process of knitting while in the middle of a project.

You're already picked out the project and the pattern and the yarn, you're not close enough to the end to start thinking about blocking or weaving in ends or seaming or wondering if it's going to fit/be appreciated, and it isn't such a huge project that you start wondering if you'll have to take a week off from work just to finish the thing.

Nobones
05-28-2007, 08:54 AM
:cheering: What a lovely thread. I like the calmness I feel when I'm knitting. (Obviously I only feel that when it's going right!)

I love seeing something come together from a ball of wool and knowing I did that.

Brandilyne
05-28-2007, 09:02 AM
There are so many things to love about knitting, where do I start? :heart:

I think my very favorite is that when I come home from a usually stressful and unfulfilling day at work, I can sit down and completely relax with my yarn and needles. It's such a meditative craft. Not to mention, I feel like I am accomplishing something, which is often not the case at work, heh. It's like every stitch I knit I am getting rid of all the daily annoyances. It helps that I'm using sharp pointy sticks and perhaps wondering who at work would most benefit from a poke in the *** with one of them :lol:

mornnen
05-28-2007, 09:37 AM
This is such a fun thread, I had to jump in. I agree with Brandilyne that it is meditative. When I get off work, I usually knit to calm myself down. I also love the fact that my supervisor knits at meetings, so then I know that I can, too. We both comment on how it keeps our blood pressure down, and keeps our hands from fusing around the necks of the windbags that drive us nuts.:)

Jill A.
05-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with the previous comments.

The other thing that I really enjoy is being able to take my knitting with me. Before I learned to knit, I was a beader. I tried taking my beading project to a swim meet - while a small girl came and whirled her finger in the bead container and tiny tiny beads went flying everywhere. That was the last time.

Today we will visit my parent (for a big family dinner) and my DH family (for a big family lunch) and I can take my knitting to both places!! :happydance:

G J
05-28-2007, 10:43 AM
. . . . keeps our hands from fusing around the necks of the windbags that drive us nuts.:)
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Coming from a hard-working Dutch background, where sitting around doing nothing is NOT okay, knitting is something that allows me to sit around and DO something--something I enjoy and allows me to create and feel and see and well, you know.... :heart:

I also love sharing knitting with others!:hug:

Quiltlady
05-28-2007, 10:50 AM
I love everything about knitting. The buying of the yarn...the knitting books I pour over and buy. I enjoy the process of knitting even more than the finished product. So if I have to frog something it really doesn't bother me especially since I seem to knit fast.

The only "down" side of knitting sometimes is understanding the patterns. Some seem to be easier to follow than others. But I love the whole thing.

threesmom
05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Wow -:heart: what don't we love about knitting? I don't even seem to mind too terribly when things go wrong - I always seem to learn from it, and like someone said, you frog it, and there's the yarn, waiting for you to make it into something new. I started knitting again because it seemed like a productive hobby - I love color, and kept trying to paint, terribly, to play with color. Somehow I could never convince myself to keep with it because what would I do with these bad canvases when they were done? Nothing, that's what. Now I can play with color AND texture, and make things that I can give as gifts or wrap around my children, always knowing that I spent time and love, and now someone else has that .

Plus there's watching how these simple movements become something so much bigger, orderly, beautiful.

And, really, it just keeps me sane.

Great thread Chel - and your knitting - and that YARN (how could I not mention the YARN!) are stellar! Thanks! :yay:

ironmaiden
05-28-2007, 10:52 AM
My favorite thing about knitting is seeing a finished product that was made from one long strand of yarn. It feels so satisfying to create something that the yarn just wants to be!

Same here. My DH thinks it's the most amazing thing in the world that a hat can be made from, as he says, a piece of string.

Doublereeder2
05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
There are so many things to love about knitting, where do I start? :heart:

..... It helps that I'm using sharp pointy sticks and perhaps wondering who at work would most benefit from a poke in the *** with one of them :lol:

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I think we all know a few who would benefit :lol:

1knittychick
05-28-2007, 12:03 PM
My favorite thing about knitting is creating something beautiful......and buying yarn and more yarn.:heart:

auburnchick
05-28-2007, 12:09 PM
My favorite thing is that you can make practical stuff. I mean, I used to cross stitch, and it was really pretty, but about the only thing you could do with it was hang it on a wall.

I love that I can WEAR stuff I've made. I can donate what I make. I can gift what I make (baby stuff is the best!).

THAT's what I :heart: about knitting.

Carla1019
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM

I love the idea that I can make something with one long strand of yarn.

melissa.atkins
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
My favorite thing is that you can make practical stuff. I mean, I used to cross stitch, and it was really pretty, but about the only thing you could do with it was hang it on a wall.

I love that I can WEAR stuff I've made. I can donate what I make. I can gift what I make (baby stuff is the best!).

THAT's what I :heart: about knitting.

I agree!! I started cross stitching and it looked sooo pretty! And received many "Ohhh, Awww" comments, but there is nothing like actually wearing/using something handmade... :thumbsup:

Sanibelle
05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
What don't I like about knitting????

I love walking into my LYs and discovering a new yarn that I have never seen before. I think the person that owns the store must think I am nuts as I walk around the store and touch everything!

I love finding a pattern that looks fun and interesting.

I love knitting the project.

I really love the satisfaction of finishing a project.

I love giving something I made to someone on my "knitworthy" list (I am selective as to who I knit for!!)

Knitting is my zen - when I have a bad day at work and sit down and pick up my needles I can actually feel my blood pressure drop...

I love this board for all the caring people that post when someone needs a hug!

The only thing I don't like is seaming and socks!!!!

Oh and Chel - your knitting looks great!!!!

rebecca
05-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh my, I love all things knitty! My biggest fave has always been that it is the one and only thing that has ever helped take my mind off of my pain. BUT, my latest favorite thing about knitting is just how much Lonnie is loving the socks I've been knitting for him!
Almost forgot another very favorite....the friends that I have met in the knitting community, that just ROCKS!

Krystal
05-28-2007, 06:30 PM

See what I mean?

Me too! I often find, after every row I stop and hold out the knitting and admire the stitches. I do this so often without really thinking about it. So it tends to take me longer to knit, because I spend so much time admiring it. haa.
:muah:

Greys4me
05-28-2007, 06:59 PM
I love everything about knitting but especially the relaxation of just the repetitive peaceful motion of it. :heart:

mwedzi
05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh, I love lots of things about knitting. I feel much more relaxed when knitting. For example, yesterday I was on this weird fake "date", how I get myself into these things I don't know, but I started knitting saying it helps me relax, and sure enough, it did.

But I also love seeing the product emerge. As a grad student, I sit in a room everyday by myself, or at a computer every day by myself, and work on something abstract and intangible. (What was that movie, man frustrated with his job selling time slots for ads on radio? he was like "i sell air, that's my job".) When I knit, I can see what I'm doing and where it's going, when it's done I can point to it and say, see, I made that. And if everything went right, I can put it on and wear it. And if it didn't go right, I don't have to be humiliated in a one hour oral defense of it, either.

jodstr2
05-29-2007, 10:26 AM
so many reasons to love it, where do I begin, LOL... :eyes:
-color and texture and so many possibilities
-quiet time - ideal for when spawn is doing homework
-portable
-knitting time puts me into a zone where I'm contemplative, meditative, relaxed, and stable
-the idea of creating something useful
-the idea of creating something for others
-feeling my body relax and my breathing become even and mellow as I enter a yarn store
-challenging myself to constantly learn new techniques
-meeting really nice creative people :heart::hug:

Mommy22alyns
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
It is probably the one thing that truly relaxes me. I have a hard time unwinding and settling my mind down, and knitting does it for me.

I love colors, lots of colors, so I adore vareigated and self-striping yarns. I like seeing the colors change and evolve and how it shows up in the finished object.

It is a real accomplishment for me - I feel good that I've learned something and I'm the only person in my family who can knit. My mom is the ultimate crafty/creative person, but the one thing she can't do is knit.

Knitting is an ongoing learning process. There seems to be no end to different things to do to learn and challenge yourself. I enjoy learning, and there's a lot to learn in knitting!

And I truly have met very special people in just a few short months! :muah:

Arielluria
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
I love being able to do it anywhere (I am also a quilter but I never COULD carry around my stuff to the doctor's or in the car, etc.).

The next best thing is the satisfaction of being able to say "I did it". Sounds terribly prideful, but it's not, I have always been one who likes to do things with her hands, even as a child.

Knitting anywhere/anytime also satisfy my genetic need to always be DOING something.........my mom and aunts are the same way. GOTTA be doing something all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Which reminds me of this great Luann cartoon which I had scanned out of my local paper years ago, and use as a Windows desktop wallpaper at times. It cracked me up and I loved it so much because in my case it's very true to life. At first DH saw it as a knock against his sex, but it's not. THEY know how to relax when it's time to relax! ;)

This IS how I watch TV.....notice the knitting to her left ;)
http://www.texasnova.com/lu/luann.gif

PaperGirl
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
I totally agree! I'm making a square for a blanket and am trying a new stitch pattern and I find myself just sitting there admiring it! I just love the way it looks! It is SO COOL!

I love that too!

I love that me, the woman who can kill a houseplant by looking at it, can make something so pretty and make my family go, "Oh cool!"

That, and I get to carry pointy sticks everywhere, and no one questions me. :roflhard:

And in a weird way, I think it makes me closer to my grandma, who died before I was born. I have a blanket she crocheted, with a matching pillow. It feels cool to have the "gene" that she had, that my mom doesnt. :heart:

Sarahc409
05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
i love that i get to do it anywhere and everywhere (the other day i was having brunch with some friends while knitting)
i love the satisfaction i get when i finish a project, specially if it was a challenging one.
i love the admirations i get from friends (my hubby tell his sister who is a doctor that my patterns are like a chemistry project and they both oooh and ahhh)
i love that some people seem to be jealous at the fact that i can knit
i love that i get exited over something
i love that i am happy and at peace when i knit
i love that it's like therapy
i love that i can make almost anything i want to.
i love that i can make things for friends
i can go on and on :)

mdog182
05-29-2007, 12:46 PM
i agree with the other knitters about occupying my time better. oh man if i could only master the skill of knitting while walking on the treadmill! it makes me feel more productive to sit and knit than to just sit and watch tv. i also like being able to make something awesome with my own two hands. for some reason, my whole life i have tried DESPERATELY to be crafty! haha i don't know why! i tried scrapbooking but that was a futile attempt...waste of money. i started knitting accidentally when i was working as a receptionist where we literally only had to answer a phone that rang like once every five minutes. one of the other girls had started to crochet a blanket and i thought it would be a good way to pass the time and i could make xmas presents for everyone! genius! i assumed she was knitting and i went out and bought a knitting book. well, the rest is history....like 6 months of history! it feels like i've been knitting forever. i love how natural it feels and how i am now actually understanding WHY stitches look a certain way depending on the actions that i take. awesome.:inlove:

segundoloteian
05-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I love understanding the dynamics of knitting. And unventing! And how the former leads to the latter.

I love how I've been able to discover many of the "tools" (i.e. increases, cast on techniques, etc.) available and use them to make professional-looking pieces that previously only existed in my mind.

I also love that I was able to teach my mom to knit, and how much she loves it, too! Oh, and how it helped me procrastinate through my last year of undergrad!
:woohoo:

Miss Moosey
05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I find that knitting has the same effect on me as meditation has for other people. I simply can't meditate; I either get an itch on the bottoms of my feet or think of something funny and just have to laugh.

But when I knit, my body relaxes, my heartbeat goes down (I've measured this!), and I become very serene.

Unless, of course, I screw up :frog:. But usually knitting is the most effective way for me to unwind.

xxx Rebecca

knottyknitter
05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I have chronic back pain, when I knit it helps relax me and the pain isn't as bad.
I love going to my knitting group...... friends, knitting, and fun.

jeanius80
05-30-2007, 11:42 AM
i want to echo everything thats has been said so far :heart: i paint, but having a baby and moving in with my family has made it impossible to have time and space for it. i love how little space knitting takes ( i'm not counting stash :shifty: ) i love everything about yarn. i just started spinning... i love making yarn, i love dyeing yarn, winding yarn, touching yarn, i love watching the yarn and needles make fabric. i even love the way my fingers move when i knit, like a small dance-sliding the yarn, moving the needles, throwing the yarn, pulling it. i love the endless possiblities of knitting.:mrgreen:

*Ginny*
05-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to knitting, but it was instant love. It is the first time I have ever "made" anything. The rhythm of the stiches soothe me and lull me into peace.

PammieJR
05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Why do I love knitting?

I think grad school made me twitchy while watching TV...guility to be sitting and doing nothing. Knitting makes it OK to sit and watch TV.

I love the fact that you get something when your done...a sock, a hat, a scarf whatever.

I love that fact that when you give your knitting as a gift people are so excited to get something hand made and the gift seems to mean so much more.

I love the fact that I can take it anywhere and do it anytime there is wasted "downtime"...waiting for the doctor, in the car (OK...not driving!), on a plane, visiting with friends and family...whenever!

I love that knitting soothes my anxious soul. It makes me calm and I have to agree with earlier posts, it is almost like meditation. For someone with anxiety issues...it is a Godsend.

I just love knitting!

cookworm
05-31-2007, 12:49 AM
My favorite thing about knitting is seeing a finished product that was made from one long strand of yarn.

I think that's a very cool part about knitting that never ceases to amaze me that it's all created from one strand of yarn.

But my favorite part about knitting (along with peace, relaxation, and a sense of accomplishment when I figure out new techniques) is that when I make something, I have something to show for all of my time and work. With housework, nobody notices when it's done, and ten minutes after I'm finished, it doesn't look like I did anything. When I cook dinner, afterwards, all I have to show for it is a sink of dishes. But when I finish my knitting, something that I took a lot of time and work is completed, and it is permanent. Does that make any sense? But that's my favorite part about knitting.