PDA

View Full Version : learning to knit lace

susi
05-28-2007, 07:23 AM
hi

i have started to bring my knitting onto doing the project's i have avaoided as i thought i wasn't good enough. i have made a jumper for my sons cuddly toy (heavily into dressing his toys up as i can't afford to buy him propper dressing up clothes yet unfortunatly, so the cuddly is the next best thing).

i am after a pattern that someone can recomend thats easy to learn on. i would rather something newborn size or a toy pattern (for his cuddly again).

anyone got any ideas please?

i also want to learn to cable, is theer anywhere that can teach me free online please? i have ten tons of odd skeins left over (i have about 3 black bags full from my gran's yarn before she died, i also have what i have collected over the past year +)

thanks

susi

Jeremy
05-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Welcome.:hug:
An inexpensive way to learn lace patterns is to do dishcloths
Here is a link (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php)

Amy teaches how to cable here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/).

Quiltlady
05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
For me the hardest part of lace knitting is not losing my place in the pattern. I've tried numerous times and eventually put it aside.

I did do the Branching Out scarf and LOVED the outcome..thats as brave as I have gotten yet. But I do hope to eventually try some REAL lace patterns.

I saw cable knitting on the TV show Knitty Gritty. I was amazed at how EASY it was. I don't have a problem with that at all. Reading about it and SEEING it done are two different things. I learn much faster by SEEING it done..not reading about it.

susi
05-29-2007, 12:19 PM
hi

i to learn much better by seeing. i have read how to learn to cable, all they keep saying is its really easy, it seems so hard and complicated, thats why i have kept away from it. i didn't realise there was a tutorial on here (i actually learnt to knit on here).

i really don't want to knit a dish cloth. i'm afraid i'm one of those people that don't see the point in them (i have masses of the flipping things, i have been given a smell mountain of them when ever i move house, and as i am planning to move yet again when this house is finished lol).

i have found this and have been told its ok to learn on (the person that recomended it learnt on it, she said she pulled it off about 4 times though)

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babypetalhat.htm

i will certainly be looking at amy's titoriale on cable as she does show you so easily (just hope i can get it now as i no longer have speakers, my son got to them when he was a toddler lol)

thanks again

susi

historienne
05-29-2007, 01:33 PM
susi,

i'm a pretty green knitter, but i love trying things that are too hard for me. most recently, i knitted a scarf called Column of Leaves (found on knitting pattern central) --its a beautiful lace scarf pattern, but i found myself struggling with the pattern and ripped the whole thing out at least four times until i had two moments of zen-like knitting clarity.

moment #1: lace knitting is best done alone. really. i can usually knit while doing something else, but this scarf dictated that i knit completely alone, as not to break my concentration. the thing about knitting lace (in my humble and not-very-extensive experience) is that you can't really screw up. ever. its hideously difficult if not outright impossible to fix a mistake.

moment #2: i was looking at the printed pattern, but kept losing my place until i wrote out every stitch of every row in a spiral notebook, giving each row its own page. it was very time consuming, but worth the effort. not only did i not get the rows confused, it was super easy to keep track of repeats and individual stitches as i just kept making marks next to the stitches i had completed.

you also mentioned learning to make cables~~its not too hard but looks awesome and then you can impress both your friends and total strangers with you incredible knitting prowess!

hope that helps.

best luck!
historienne

susi
05-29-2007, 03:51 PM
that scarf it s totally georgous. i will be knitting that for myself for the fall. i love it

thank you soo much

susi

historienne
05-29-2007, 05:50 PM
susi,

the column of leaves is an awesome pattern. i hope you post a picture when you're done! i'm gonna try the column of leaves hat next...who knows what sort of trouble i'll get myself into!

seriously, though, if I can knit lace, you can totally do it.

i had another thought about cables as i was driving around today. when i was learning to do them, i always noticed a little hole in the knitted fabric, just next to the cable. i then thought that i was doing it totally wrong. so, i started inspecting cables everywhere i saw them (mostly the sweaters of my friends, who graciously didn't mind my inspection of their sweaters). my discovery was that a cable, by its very nature, will make a little hole in the fabric next to it and that holey cables should be worn with pride.

i think the real trick is to be able to manage a dangling cable needle while knitting other stitches. my bet is that when you have your "ah-ha!" moment and understand the cable in its simultaneous beautiful simplicity and complexity, you won't want to stop making them.

best luck,
historienne

kristinw
05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Even though you don't see the point in dishcloths, they really are a great way to learn. You could knit a bunch and seam them together as a blanket. Or just think of them as swatches. I found them to be an invaluable tool when I was learning!

Good luck!

susi
05-30-2007, 05:09 AM
hi

thats for the encouragment historienne, i will try the baby hat then move onto the scarf. i simply adore it and can't wait to get started. just got to finish the 2 projects i have on the needles at the moent lol.

Kristin, its not that i don't see the point in dishclothes, they are really usefull things to have. i just have sooo many of them (partly from learning to knit, i made ten tons of them, and have been given masses of them). i am someone that loves to try things that are far to difficult for me and keep getting it till i get it right (i am stubern lol).

thanks for the advise though, i know you are right, i'm just daft lol

susi

cftwo
05-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I just found a lovely easy lace scarf pattern in "Last Minute Knitted Gifts" http://www.amazon.com/Last-Minute-Knitted-Gifts-Joelle-Hoverson/dp/1584793678/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9353318-1006561?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180535126&sr=8-1 that just uses yarn overs and k2togs in an eyelet pattern. This is super-easy lace, without a structured pattern, that might help you get used to using the fine yarn and making holes on purpose in your knitting.

This pattern was also recommended to me for a beginning lace knitter http://www.fiddlesticksknitting.com/TripleLarge.html . I've started it, but haven't gotten very far (I decided I didn't like the colors I chose and need to rip it back). The pattern was pretty easy to follow, though.

Historienne - I really liked your idea for ways to keep the rows straight. The "repeat rows 17-45 six times" bit always has me afraid I'll lose my place - your notebook suggestion would solve that problem.

historienne
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
cftwo,

i would love to claim that the notebook idea was a brilliant idea straight from my own head, but i'd be lying. it was suggested to me by one of the awesome expert knitters at my lys. i always think i'll be able to keep track of what row i'm on, but then the phone rings, or i need more coffee, and suddenly, i sit back down to knit and i realize i have no idea what row i'm on. having a separate page for every row really helped me stay on track!

it was especially helpful while doing the column of leaves scarf, as the rs and ws rows alternate between 39 and 41 stitches (or maybe vice versa?). so, i wrote the number of stitches i should have at the end of the row right at the bottom of the page which reminded me to count stitches and eventually led me to knitting victory!

best wednesday to all,
historienne

susi
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
hi

i love the fiddlesticks pattern. i am definatly going to be doing that one. oh, how my must do list has grown in the past 48 hours lol.

i only saw 1 pattern on the other amazon book that i thought i actually would knit.

i found this http://www.craftown.com/knitpat2.htm its just a baby blanket (always come in handy in the car as i have a 4 year old son who is always cold in the car, even in the hight of summer (i'm in sw france it gets to 100 degree's here often).

i am ordering the pattern now for the sahwl. i will make it for a birthday presant for my mum.

thanks again

susi

susi
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
hi

sorry again, i am just trying to irder the pattern and thought it may be a good idea to buy the yarn theer as well (ok, see how much it costs, as i know how much shipping is from us to france, its scary).

did you buy your yarn from them? if yes where on the earth on the site can you see the yarn selection please? sure i am being totally daft

susi

cftwo
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Susi, I bought my yarn at a LYS and yes, it was expensive (about $120, if I remember correctly). You can also use Rowan KidSilk Haze - or try doing a search at www.yarndex.com for laceweight mohair yarns. You might be able to find something cheaper. (Plus, you'd have the customs charges on top of it.) Do you have a LYS near you that you can check?

I also checked WEBS (yarn.com) and if you go for laceweight soft yarn but not a fuzzy one (like the Misti Alpaca Laceweight - with the extra yardage, you only need 2 balls of each color, and they're $6.40/ball, which gives you a total of less than $40 - and they ship overseas). My sister lives in France and will be visiting in August. If you can wait that long, and if you think it would make a difference in shipping costs, we could probably figure out a way to have you ship the yarn to me, have her stuff it in her suitcase, and then ship it to you through the French postal service when she gets back. (I'd need to check with her, though, since she's also travelling with a baby.)

susi
06-01-2007, 03:54 PM
criky, i buy economy yarn (cheap skate me lol, no i can't aford to do it any other way). i buy yarn thats about $8 for 200g skeins type of price. they are actually pretty good quality for the price. my son wears the jumpers and no one can tell its cheap yarn (just my bank lol)

i don't envy your sisiter traveling from france to america, a long way confined with a little one isn't it.

susi
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, my computer is having an epi lol. never actually clicked to post that was going to add thank you so very much for the yarn stores though. i will certainly save them and when i get some spare cash i will look into buying some to hopefully do something a little better.

susi